Rumor (Jeremy Bates)

Bates is a coaches son with extensive NFL experience who has been out of football since Trestman took over in Chicago.

Would be an outstanding get for a QB coach, no one is getting through to Cutler so I don't think that can be held against him.

UT would be a good place for him to get back into the game.

Reactions: 2 people
Bates is a coaches son with extensive NFL experience who has been out of football since Trestman took over in Chicago.

Would be an outstanding get for a QB coach, no one is getting through to Cutler so I don't think that can be held against him.

He was also on the team at UT, and is a grad of Sevier Co High.

Reactions: 2 people

Would like to hear Jayson Swain's take as it would seem they were in Chicago about the same time.

Would like to hear Jayson Swain's take as it would seem they were in Chicago about the same time.

Guess we will find out over the next few days which of these rumors has legs. Sure Swain will opine on it.

Not that it matters, but as much as I have slammed Debord, I could get behind bringing Bates on board just as much.

Reactions: 1 person
Guess we will find out over the next few days which of these rumors has legs. Sure Swain will opine on it.

Not that it matters, but as much as I have slammed Debord, I could get behind bringing Bates on board just as much.
That shows your objectivity. You didn't want Debord because he was let go from his last job, and hadn't had a coaching job since 2012. Well, he and Bates were "let go" together from the Bears at the same time, and neither has been hired by any other coaching staff since.

Reactions: 3 people
That shows your objectivity. You didn't want Debord because he was let go from his last job, and hadn't had a coaching job since 2012. Well, he and Bates were "let go" together from the Bears at the same time, and neither has been hired by any other coaching staff since.

I'd love to see Bates get the job. I believe he had been spoken of as a possibility on a couple of previous occasions. We could do much...much worse.

I'd love to see Bates get the job. I believe he had been spoken of as a possibility on a couple of previous occasions. We could do much...much worse.

This all seems to be fitting too well together not to be partially true, Debord and Bates together in Chicago, now mentioned as possibly coming back to Knoxville. I could see Debord coming in as OQC/OC, Bates as QB/ passing game coordinator, azzani at WR/co OC. I think this would be an upgrade and scenario that keeps our current offense in tact, brings home a legacy, stabilizes our OL and keeps our best recruiter outside of Jones.

You're just looking to argue. I'll play along.

Someone has an opinion that doesn't mesh with yours and it's under your skin. I get it. It's the VN way.

To start off... NO. I don't discount DeBord simply for being fired.

We need a QB coach.

Bates fits the bill and has extensive experience at the highest level of the game.

He is available, been out of the coaching game for 2 years as a QB coach.

Plus, he is alumni.

DeBord.... ostensibly, he is being looked at as OC.

He has been mediocre at every level he has coached and hasn't called a game in 7 seasons. He has never called games for a spread offense. It's an odd fit to put it kindly.

Just because you're impressed with Michigan's W/L record, which DeBord wasn't solely responsible for, doesn't mean he was putting great offenses on the field for Michigan.

Many Michigan fans were happy to see him go. No one has given him another offer as an OC since he was let go at Michigan as an OC. Fulmer chose not to hire him after his second stint at Michigan in 2008, after he was let go with Carr.

There are too many red flags for me to think this is the best Jones can do, especially given the competitive salary that can be offered, and it reeks of being cronyism.

You're just looking to argue. I'll play along.

Someone has an opinion that doesn't mesh with yours and it's under your skin. I get it. It's the VN way.

To start off... NO. I don't discount DeBord simply for being fired.

We need a QB coach.

Bates fits the bill and has extensive experience at the highest level of the game.

He is available, been out of the coaching game for 2 years as a QB coach.

Plus, he is alumni.

DeBord.... ostensibly, he is being looked at as OC.

He has been mediocre at every level he has coached and hasn't called a game in 7 seasons. He has never called games for a spread offense. It's an odd fit to put it kindly.

Just because you're impressed with Michigan's W/L record, which DeBord wasn't solely responsible for, doesn't mean he was putting great offenses on the field for Michigan.

Many Michigan fans were happy to see him go. No one has given him another offer as an OC since he was let go at Michigan as an OC. Fulmer chose not to hire him after his second stint at Michigan in 2008, after he was let go with Carr.

There are too many red flags for me to think this is the best Jones can do, especially given the competitive salary that can be offered, and it reeks of being cronyism.
Actually what offended me was your demeaning and condescending view of Debord's employment. Here is a man with a Master's degree, and 30 years coaching experience, and you said that he (your words ) is now a "Wal Mart greeter aka an Olympic Sports Administrator," ostensibly because he was washed up and nobody wanted him as a coach.

Well, he is employed by a major University at probably a six figure salary, and he is working and providing for his family. I am sure that Bates has made enough money to provide for his family, but I can't seem to find his current employment, or why nobody has hired him as a coach.

Why the double standard, and lack of respect for a man who has accomplished more than you ever will in the game of football? I hate to see the lack of respect for one's elders. Obviously you enjoy it.

Reactions: 5 people
Actually what offended me was your demeaning and condescending view of Debord's employment. Here is a man with a Master's degree, and 30 years coaching experience, and you said that he (your words ) is now a "Wal Mart greeter aka an Olympic Sports Administrator," ostensibly because he was washed up and nobody wanted him as a coach.

Well, he is employed by a major University at probably a six figure salary, and he is working and providing for his family. I am sure that Bates has made enough money to provide for his family, but I can't seem to find his current employment, or why nobody has hired him as a coach.

Why the double standard, and lack of respect for a man who has accomplished more than you ever will in the game of football? I hate to see the lack of respect for one's elders. Obviously you enjoy it.

Try changing your name to MikeDeBordsAgent.

It suits you better LOL

Try changing your name to MikeDeBordsAgent.

It suits you better LOL
I had never heard of him before this. I can understand if you would rather have someone else. I have no problem with that.

I really don't care who is hired, but the man doesn't deserve to be belittled by so called fans on here. If the shoe fits, feel free to put the m'fer on and wear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

you do realize DeBord is being rumored to be hired by the ATL Falcons on Dan Quinn's new staff also? so I wouldn't slam him too much

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back