ESPN Ranks the SEC's Running Back Groups

Chubb averaged 7.1 ypc last season. Gurley averaged 7.4 ypc and Sony Michel averaged 6.4 ypc. All 3 had huge games whenever they started. I think any of those 3 coulda ran for the amount of yards Chubb did last year given the carries. I give credit more to that Georgia O-line and the system Richt has which seems to breed big time running stats.

I go by the eye test moreso than stats when it comes to college players. And based on the eye test, Chubb is impressive BUT he was not as impressive as Fournette or Hurd to me last season. I think both will be MUCH BETTER running backs at the next level and maybe as soon as next season.

Respectfully disagree. Chubb is the real deal, has all the tools. You are right however about Michel. If he hadn't been injured, they would've been talking about a freshman 2 headed monster down there last year after Gurley went down.

And I was personally more impressed with Chubb than Fournette. Fournette looked like a bull in a china shop whereas Chubb showed great ability in the open field, excellent vision and elusiveness and a great burst. As far as Hurd, tons of talent, great versatility with his pass catching and pass protection....needs to improve his open field running....grade a bit incomplete due to the absolutely horrific middle school level OL he was trying to run behind.....would've loved to see him behind a halfway competent OL....hopefully we see that this season.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree with KB. Chubb had an excellent o-line but he would strive anywhere. That kid from LSU is a buster, but Hurd isn't close to either one, yet.

This year is his year to really stamp that 5th star on his recruitment. He needs to dominate games, not just move the chains.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Chubb is getting overrated right now and Fournette is getting underrated. IMO Fournette is still the most talented young back in the conference. If I had to rate them, I'd go:

1. Henry
2. Fournette
3. Hurd
4. Chubb
5. Jonathan Williams

I hate Georgia, but Chubb is top notch.

Reactions: 2 people
Chubb averaged 7.1 ypc last season. Gurley averaged 7.4 ypc and Sony Michel averaged 6.4 ypc. All 3 had huge games whenever they started. I think any of those 3 coulda ran for the amount of yards Chubb did last year given the carries. I give credit more to that Georgia O-line and the system Richt has which seems to breed big time running stats.

I go by the eye test moreso than stats when it comes to college players. And based on the eye test, Chubb is impressive BUT he was not as impressive as Fournette or Hurd to me last season. I think both will be MUCH BETTER running backs at the next level and maybe as soon as next season.
THIS! Chubb gets a paw on him by anybody he goes down, Gurley broke tackles as does Hurd and Fournette. Check out Chubb, who has elite speed in the open, this year against our Dline and get back with me.

THIS! Chubb gets a paw on him by anybody he goes down, Gurley broke tackles as does Hurd and Fournette. Check out Chubb, who has elite speed in the open, this year against our Dline and get back with me.

You are seriously saying Chubb doesn't break tackles? You seriously didn't watch him run a single run. Dude refuses to go down, and if you don't see that, yyou've got the blinders on.

If Hurd was running behind the same line as chubb , would everyone's opinion still be the same? I didn't watch chubb much but I did watch Hurd and if he would have had monster holes to run through most of the time IMO he would have been dominant ala the Iowa game!! If our O-line can improve a lot this off season I believe Hurd can be in a league of his own! Calling it now Hurd has 1257 yrds rushing and 310 receiving yrds with 16 total TD'S !! Wishful thinking?........ maybe but what's the off season for?!!!

I would love to see what Hurds numbers would be with Georgia's OL. Does anyone really think Chubbs numbers would have been that much better than Hurd if he were running behind our OL?

SEC pre-spring position rankings: RB - ESPN

Vols at #4 feels about right. Hurd is awesome (as long as he stays healthy) and Kamara has the potential to be. Not much in the cupboard behind them, though. So 4th ... yeah, ok.

From our D's perspective, look at our 2015 opponents: #1, #2, and #3 on that list are all teams we play (Arkansas, Georgia, 'Bama). Going to be high adventure inside the box for those three games!

Georgia is the scariest of those 3 for me. Partially because of the RB combo but I think our D-Line will be able to close the gaps enough for our young LB's to make relatively easy tackles. What I'm concerned with, is our LB's playing too hard for that run and then getting eaten alive by the little screens that Georgia does.

Respectfully disagree. Chubb is the real deal, has all the tools. You are right however about Michel. If he hadn't been injured, they would've been talking about a freshman 2 headed monster down there last year after Gurley went down.

And I was personally more impressed with Chubb than Fournette. Fournette looked like a bull in a china shop whereas Chubb showed great ability in the open field, excellent vision and elusiveness and a great burst. As far as Hurd, tons of talent, great versatility with his pass catching and pass protection....needs to improve his open field running....grade a bit incomplete due to the absolutely horrific middle school level OL he was trying to run behind.....would've loved to see him behind a halfway competent OL....hopefully we see that this season.

never said he wasn't the real deal. all of these guys are exceptional talents and will be 1st round NFL picks (even with the devaulation of the RB position). I simply think Fournette and Hurd are slightly better and have heigher ceilings.

I just disagreed with folks that thought Chubb was "on another level." IMO he isn't. But I'm not gonna get on someone if they think Chubb is the best freshmen running back cause he is very good.

I would love to see what Hurds numbers would be with Georgia's OL. Does anyone really think Chubbs numbers would have been that much better than Hurd if he were running behind our OL?

and if its all about numbers, then I guess we can pencil in Samaje Perine as the best freshman back of all since he had the most rushing yards and TDs?

sometimes its about more than stats.

Saw Chubb many times, and I saw him run through arm tackles, shake defenders at the second level and show outstanding speed. I don't think I ever saw him go down after first contact. We all have our opinions, but I feel like I know an outstanding back when I see one and Chubb is definitely that.....as is Michel, Fournette and Hurd. The fact that Chubb essentially performed at the same level as Gurley, under the same exact circumstances, as a true freshman, speaks volumes....kid is already an elite back.

Jalen was obviously the one most hamstrung in terms of being able to fully show what's able to do because of an awful OL.

Georgia is the scariest of those 3 for me. Partially because of the RB combo but I think our D-Line will be able to close the gaps enough for our young LB's to make relatively easy tackles. What I'm concerned with, is our LB's playing too hard for that run and then getting eaten alive by the little screens that Georgia does.
UGA has no clue who their QB will be, you won't see them slinging the ball all over the place unless they are way behind.

Arky having 2 RB's that ran for over 1,000 yards speaks volumes, especially about their O line.

Chubb and Fournette are also very good RB's as anyone saw that watched them much last season.

Hurd played hurt a lot last season even though we didn't know it at the time.

A tough running back that blocks great as a true freshman, catches the ball really well out of the backfield, pushes the pile on most every play and is mentally tough enough to keep playing with a shoulder that needs surgery says loads more to me about Hurd.

Swap our horrid O line for the really good O lines of Arky, LSU or Georgia and I believe Hurd would have been just as good or better than their RB's were.

We all should know that it's a lot easier to run great behind a really good, experienced O line.

After watching all of them a lot last season and taking into consideration the O line differences I'll take Hurd every time.

I only hope we can put together a great O line in front of Hurd before he leaves Tennessee so he can really show what he's got.

Anyone that doesn't think having a really good, experienced O line will make a huge difference for a RB just doesn't really know much about football.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Granted Chubb ran behind an amazing line at UGA but still, 1500+ yards in 8 games is ridiculous. That boy is the SEC's best back right now.

Give Hurd a good line and he would have crossed 1000 yards last year. He'll be fun to watch this year.

I know these are just opinions and not facts. I know that one shouldn't be so steadfast in an opinion so as to denigrate others.

Having said that, anyone who would take Hurd over Chubb is bat**** crazy.

I don't care how good you think the offensive line at Georgia was, the man would have run for over 2,000 yards and broken every seasonal record set by Herschel Walker had he started from day 1. Not just break, but shatter.

And anyone who played Georgia is going in ganging up on the run. They weren't worried about Mason.

The opposite, regardless of the line, was true at Tennessee. You weren't worried about Hurd. You were worried about the WR corps and, after taking over, Dobbs. Defenses did not focus their attention on Hurd.

Reactions: 3 people
I know these are just opinions and not facts. I know that one shouldn't be so steadfast in an opinion so as to denigrate others.

Having said that, anyone who would take Hurd over Chubb is bat**** crazy.

I don't care how good you think the offensive line at Georgia was, the man would have run for over 2,000 yards and broken every seasonal record set by Herschel Walker had he started from day 1. Not just break, but shatter.

And anyone who played Georgia is going in ganging up on the run. They weren't worried about Mason.

The opposite, regardless of the line, was true at Tennessee. You weren't worried about Hurd. You were worried about the WR corps and, after taking over, Dobbs. Defenses did not focus their attention on Hurd.

some people get hard-ons for stats. I prefer watching the games. Chubb is good but Hurd and Fournette were better.

if numbers are what get you going, look up Samaje Perine's freshmen year. ready to crown him the GOAT?

some people get hard-ons for stats. I prefer watching the games. Chubb is good but Hurd and Fournette were better.

if numbers are what get you going, look up Samaje Perine's freshmen year. ready to crown him the GOAT?

To be fair, I understand your point. Emmitt Smith is the NFL's all time leading rusher and I wouldn't say he's the best back I ever saw.

So, again, I understand.

But, I am not going on "numbers" here. Anyone who has seen my arguments with regard to greatest NFL QB ever knows I don't look at numbers alone.

And I would take Chubb every time, wouldn't hesitate, and it's not close.

Anyone who says otherwise, clearly is employed as a scout for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back