ESPN Ranks the SEC's Running Back Groups

We will all be happy as 6 year olds at Christmas if UT ends the 2015 season with the 4th most running yardage in the SEC from the RB position as that will mean we had a miraculous transformation in our OL from 2014!

Last edited:
Granted Chubb ran behind an amazing line at UGA but still, 1500+ yards in 8 games is ridiculous. That boy is the SEC's best back right now.

Give Hurd a good line and he would have crossed 1000 yards last year. He'll be fun to watch this year.

Even with that ridiculously awful OLine last year, had Hurd played vs UTC and not been injured vs Vandy he'd have gone over 1,000. Very impressive. That being said, Chubb was the class of SEC freshman RBs last year imo. Kid's a stud.

Reactions: 1 person
I know these are just opinions and not facts. I know that one shouldn't be so steadfast in an opinion so as to denigrate others.

Having said that, anyone who would take Hurd over Chubb is bat**** crazy.

I don't care how good you think the offensive line at Georgia was, the man would have run for over 2,000 yards and broken every seasonal record set by Herschel Walker had he started from day 1. Not just break, but shatter.

And anyone who played Georgia is going in ganging up on the run. They weren't worried about Mason.

The opposite, regardless of the line, was true at Tennessee. You weren't worried about Hurd. You were worried about the WR corps and, after taking over, Dobbs. Defenses did not focus their attention on Hurd.

Not so sure if you were talking to me or not but I agree with you, Chubb is hands down the best back, and yes I would absolutely take him over Hurd at this point. May be different next year but as of right now, you're completely correct IMO.

However, I think you are downplaying the significance of having a line that creates holes for the RB. It's hard to do well when by the time you take the handoff defenders are already in the backfield.

Hurd is a excellent all round back, but lacks the quickness and breakaway speed that Chubb possess, Here's to hoping Kamara makes a huge difference to UT's running game this year.
Don't forget what a difference a year can make.
(Oline must improve dramatically)

I think Chubb is getting overrated right now and Fournette is getting underrated. IMO Fournette is still the most talented young back in the conference. If I had to rate them, I'd go:

1. Henry
2. Fournette
3. Hurd
4. Chubb
5. Jonathan Williams

If you're serious about this, you might as well take your credibility, put it in an envelope and mail it to a garbage can near you. Chubb overrated??? Eight starts and finishes with over 1,500 yards and he's overrated? There is no one on your list that you can say is better than Chubb right now based on results so I am going to assume you are just joking.

UGA should be #1, Arky second and I would put UT over Bama right now. The reason being is nobody knows how proven the RBs behind Henry are other than Drake. And he is coming off a major injury. Hurd and Kamara are both proven studs.

Kamara hasn't proven anything yet.

Reactions: 2 people
If you're serious about this, you might as well take your credibility, put it in an envelope and mail it to a garbage can near you. Chubb overrated??? Eight starts and finishes with over 1,500 yards and he's overrated? There is no one on your list that you can say is better than Chubb right now based on results so I am going to assume you are just joking.

It's not only the #s that Chubb put up, it's how well he passed the eye test. Kid's the real deal....power, elusiveness, quickness, vision. UGA literally lost nothing when he replaced Gurley who was an odds-on favorite to win the Heisman early last year. Worst part is, Michel ain't too far behind him in terms of ability from what I saw. Lotta 2-headed RB monsters in the SEC this year. Little doubt Georgia's is right at the top along with Arky's imo.

I would love to see what Hurds numbers would be with Georgia's OL. Does anyone really think Chubbs numbers would have been that much better than Hurd if he were running behind our OL?

Chubb got a lot of yards, like Gurley did, after first contact which means it's not about the line for him. If you would have watched most of their games, you would see how many he grinds out. Yes, the larger holes are there from time to time but Chubb had none of that against Arky or Mizzou and still go his.

It's not only the #s that Chubb put up, it's how well he passed the eye test. Kid's the real deal....power, elusiveness, quickness, vision. UGA literally lost nothing when he replaced Gurley who was an odds-on favorite to win the Heisman early last year. Worst part is, Michel ain't too far behind him in terms of ability from what I saw. Lotta 2-headed RB monsters in the SEC this year. Little doubt Georgia's is right at the top along with Arky's imo.

True that .. Fournette is a monster too but not much depth behind him

some people get hard-ons for stats. I prefer watching the games. Chubb is good but Hurd and Fournette were better.

if numbers are what get you going, look up Samaje Perine's freshmen year. ready to crown him the GOAT?

Like trying to justify a lack of stats with things like your first line there .. and no, you didn't watch the games with Chubb if you are picking Hurd over him. Sure, the line helps, but you're acting like Chubb got 1,500 yards running through gaping holes on every play which for ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY SAW THE GAMES HE PLAYED IN knows this is FAR from the truth. Just watch the Louisville game, or the Auburn game, or the Arky game or the Mizzou game. The last two I mentioned he worked hard for the yards he got.

I would love to see what Hurds numbers would be with Georgia's OL. Does anyone really think Chubbs numbers would have been that much better than Hurd if he were running behind our OL?

I'm not even looking at numbers. Watch both of there highlight films. It's pretty easy to tell who the better, more complete, faster, quicker, more elusive, more explosive back is.

I think UGA O-line had a lot to do with it.

LOL .. They're a good O-Line but you act like they are the 93 Cowboys or something.

Yards after first contact for Chubb and Gurley were off the charts ... why? because he is that physical and all his yards aren't exactly untouched. He is the best in the SEC right now and maybe best in the country.

Hurd is bigger and faster than Chubb plus he is a better receiver out of the backfield and a better blocker in the passing game. What Hurd did last year behind our O-line was nothing short of a miracle. Don't be fooled by the stats. Chubb benefitted from a better o-line and supprting cast. Pretty much every running back Georgia had last year was averaging 7 yards a carry. Not just Chubb. Gurley was on his way to a historic season before the injury. Sony Michel also looked spectacular in the little time he played.

Lets just say, I'm much happier with Hurd in Knoxville than I would with Chubb. But I won't lie and say I'd take Hurd over Fournette. That guy in Baton Rogue is a certified FREAK.

In football you are what your production says you are. Hurd might be better than Chubb this year but last year he was not.

Formula to stop UGA this year is put 8 in the box and hope they run for 150-200 because they will only get like 50 passing yards.

Chubb is a great back. Probably the best in the country based off last season.

Miles ahead of Hurd is premature at this point tho. It was pretty obvious both were playing under different conditions.

Id say this year they will both be on a more similar footing regarding those conditions. Id expect Chubb to have a great year, and I think Hurd's will be better than last years given the changing conditions.

UGA should be #1, Arky second and I would put UT over Bama right now. The reason being is nobody knows how proven the RBs behind Henry are other than Drake. And he is coming off a major injury. Hurd and Kamara are both proven studs.

That's 2 very solid backs. Jones, Flowers and Harris are all young guys that should be good as well.

Formula to stop UGA this year is put 8 in the box and hope they run for 150-200 because they will only get like 50 passing yards.

That formula didn't work very well last yr and I wouldn't count on the UGA passing game to be as weak as it was when we faced off in 2014.

It's true that UGA hasn't settled on a starter just yet but one thing is absolutely true and that is neither of the two main candidates will be floating the lollipops that a sore armed Mason was flinging up there for the first half of the 14 season. Both of the 2 top contenders were elite 11 participants and both have above average NFL arms.

I honestly don't believe we are better at the RB position than LSU right now. I think we can be eventually, especially if these guys continue to develop and pan out...but, right now, LSU is the much deeper and more talented RB unit. Dobbs will likely run less often, at least I hope, so we will need actual production from our 2nd and 3rd string RBs. If we make Dobbs run 15-20 times per game and absorb a season's worth the hits before we see SEC competition, we will be seeing a freshman QB start before the end of the season.

That formula didn't work very well last yr and I wouldn't count on the UGA passing game to be as weak as it was when we faced off in 2014.

It's true that UGA hasn't settled on a starter just yet but one thing is absolutely true and that is neither of the two main candidates will be floating the lollipops that a sore armed Mason was flinging up there for the first half of the 14 season. Both of the 2 top contenders were elite 11 participants and both have above average NFL arms.
Your last QB they brought back from the checkout counter at Publix, he was your best. This year's guy coming from Kroger or Food Lion, or are you trolling Piggly Wiggly these days? GTFOH, an upgraded Dawg passing attack by a QB that hasn't taken an SEC snap? Yea that and they'll fly him in on Harry Potter's broom every day.

Your last QB they brought back from the checkout counter at Publix, he was your best. This year's guy coming from Kroger or Food Lion, or are you trolling Piggly Wiggly these days? GTFOH, an upgraded Dawg passing attack by a QB that hasn't taken an SEC snap? Yea that and they'll fly him in on Harry Potter's broom every day.

Actually, our #2 QB lead the Dawgs to a 1st qrtr TD vs Vandy and one of 2 drives he lead in the 2nd half resulted in a TD. I guess by UT standards we should be hyping him as a Heisman hopeful because I don't remember Dobbs lighting up the Dores. :birgits_giggle:

Actually, our #2 QB lead the Dawgs to a 1st qrtr TD vs Vandy and one of 2 drives he lead in the 2nd half resulted in a TD. I guess by UT standards we should be hyping him as a Heisman hopeful because I don't remember Dobbs lighting up the Dores. :birgits_giggle:

Two things.

1st and foremost.....I'm not going to dog you about your responses. He's being a bit of a douche towards you and deserves whatever you dish back to him.

2nd.....UT standards have nothing to do with Dobbs being a Heisman hopeful. He's on the watch list. His chances may be slim at this point, but someone put him on the list as someone to watch.

VN Store

Back