Don't understand Volnations obsession with..

We are not Arkansas or Alabama we are Tennessee we have a history of having great Recievers and quarterbacks. Pounding the rock and controlling the clock is not our style but has told you that before. We have a physical offense but he wants to get as many snaps on offense as possible and wants to throw the football around a little also
This isn't Xbox 5 wide spread. Its SEC and yes Tennessee has a history with great backs.

Reactions: 2 people
Running the football. it seems like I've seen hundreds of comments and threads about how we have to pound the Rock every game and how all we have to do is run on this team or that team to win and saying things like if we could run every down to win I would. What about all these sick athletes we have at WR? And Dobbs can throw! we need to have a 50 50 balanced attack or maybe even close to 55 45 pass run with these WR we have. If we can get a balanced attack going it could be top 3 in the SEC for sure and it would do nothing but HELP the Oline!

I'm going to have to ask for your VFL card please.

Reactions: 1 person
Having a good run game opens up the pass because the other teams D has to start stacking more guys into defending the run and that leaves fewer guys to defend the WRs on deeper routes. It wears down opponents, keeps the ball in our offense's hands, and let's our defense stay fresh.

The problem with scoring to quickly is our defense ends up gassed late in the game. Having the ability to constantly move the chains in the run game keeps you in control and allows you to dictate the pace.

A strong passing game is needed to win championships too. But if you were to ask most coaches to pick one to be great and the other substandard, most would choose the run game to be great.

Once you grind your opponents defense to a pulp and can counter their offense with a rested defense, winning the game becomes almost elementary.

Running the football. it seems like I've seen hundreds of comments and threads about how we have to pound the Rock every game and how all we have to do is run on this team or that team to win and saying things like if we could run every down to win I would.

Cameron, I think maybe you're exaggerating a bit. I haven't seen "hundreds of comments and threads" promoting a run-heavy offense. In fact, I don't remember reading a single thread devoted to it (sure, threads about Hurd, or Kamara, but those don't advocate run-heavy imbalance on O).

Did you just set up a paper tiger to do battle with, when there is no real tiger there? IDK, maybe I missed all those threads, could you point them out to us?

To be clear, I do agree with you that the passing game is important (the running game is, too). Just don't see why you felt the need to invent or overplay a contrary point of view to say so.

You don't beat the great teams "pounding the rock". Great teams can stuff the run unless you make them defend the pass. Balanced offense works best.

SCjr stopped GA but with a mediocre D. GA got thrashed by Florida running the ball down their throat with a better than mediocre D. However none of those teams were great imo.

1997 is considered one the best offenses UT has ever put on the field. That season they averaged 332 yards passing, 151 yards rushing, and held the ball 30:20 per game.

Running the ball chews up the clock and gives your D a rest.

OP, go back and look how many drives we've had in the last 5 or so years that lasted under 1 minute...that's not good.

I said i wanted a balanced attack 50/50 everyone is talking crap like I said I want to abandon the run game? And only throw the ball?

Running the football. it seems like I've seen hundreds of comments and threads about how we have to pound the Rock every game and how all we have to do is run on this team or that team to win and saying things like if we could run every down to win I would. What about all these sick athletes we have at WR? And Dobbs can throw! we need to have a 50 50 balanced attack or maybe even close to 55 45 pass run with these WR we have. If we can get a balanced attack going it could be top 3 in the SEC for sure and it would do nothing but HELP the Oline!

Guess you missed the Ohio State spankings of Bamer and Oregon.
In the NC game Ohio State ran the ball 61 times!!!!!!!!

Balanced attack, but if the defense can't stop the pass or the run keep hitting them with it until they do. If they can't stop either, then run first.

Elliott ran the ball 36 times for 246 yards and 4 TD's. It takes time off the clock and doesn't allow high powered "passing" offenses to keep their tempo and subjects them to passing too much which defenses feed on.

I get the sense the OP didn't play the game. If they had they would know there is no more demoralizing way to lose the football game then to get "the Rock" run down your throat and not be able to stop it. Time after time getting beat physically and not being able to stop it causes the opponent to eventually give up. That method has been used for deccades at UT and is a foundation of our history.

Sure its great to be able to pass AND run the ball, but if you had to choose between the two, running the ball well will win you more games than throwing the ball well. It shortens the game and demoralizes the opponent.

Running plays usually accrue positive yardage. Even though it may be for smaller gains, running the ball back to back can gain enough yards for a first down, or set you up for a 3rd and short pass play. When passing there are many more destructive things than there are when running. Wild throws, interceptions, dropped balls, bad routes, sacks, clock stoppage, and holding is more likely to be called than when rushing. We need to maintain balance and smart playcalling. I think everyone was just tired of the way Bajakian called the games. We threw screens all the time that got us negative yards, when we couldve run the ball instead.

I said i wanted a balanced attack 50/50 everyone is talking crap like I said I want to abandon the run game? And only throw the ball?

You asked the question of what's everyone's obsession with running the football, and VN answered it. That simple, don't get all defensive simply because the answer was obvious and you didn't see it.

Reactions: 4 people
A solid rushing game can break a defense down.

I'd like to present Georgia southern vs Florida as evidence with this post op. If I'm not mistaken they didn't throw a single pass and beat the gators in the swamp with a running game.

I get the sense the OP didn't play the game. If they had they would know there is no more demoralizing way to lose the football game then to get "the Rock" run down your throat and not be able to stop it. Time after time getting beat physically and not being able to stop it causes the opponent to eventually give up. That method has been used for deccades at UT and is a foundation of our history.

Sure its great to be able to pass AND run the ball, but if you had to choose between the two, running the ball well will win you more games than throwing the ball well. It shortens the game and demoralizes the opponent.

This is why I am excited about the next 2 years. Rotating a 6'3" 230 lbs and a 5'11" 210 lbs RB right down the middle is going to be an amazing site...Especially when the D-line has to account for a rushing QB.

:lolabove:Ask Marshawn Lynch.:thud:

This is why I am excited about the next 2 years. Rotating a 6'3" 230 lbs and a 5'11" 210 lbs RB right down the middle is going to be an amazing site...Especially when the D-line has to account for a rushing QB.

Agree. I look at how DeBord performed in his last body of CF-work (vs FL, '08, with a healthy qb + 2 healthy backs running up middle and screens, etc) and he called a very, very nice game (that first drive of 93 yds at 4 min on a pass td, then next score by run). I suspect he's salivating over the potential of Hurd+Kamara+Dobbs runs and drooling over the potential of Dobbs+North+Croom+Smith+etc etc. As Coach says, he's already paying nice dividends.

I don't know where you came up with this, but just about any championship team has to do both on offense. UT has had some fabulous offenses in the past and quite a few excellent RB's. You need both aspects to keep good defenses guessing. If you are one dimensional and just pass only, you WILL NOT win very many games. You either pass to setup the run or run to setup the pass. UT neds both to be successful.

This right here answers your question OP.

Did you miss Ohio State grinding Alabama and Oregon to dust?

We are not Arkansas or Alabama we are Tennessee we have a history of having great Recievers and quarterbacks. Pounding the rock and controlling the clock is not our style but has told you that before. We have a physical offense but he wants to get as many snaps on offense as possible and wants to throw the football around a little also

This post solidifies the fact that you have no clue about UT football before 2013

I played OLB in high school. There is nothing better than the O pounding the rock and knowing that when you get on the field, they will be passing every play to get a quick score. Just sit back and wait for it.

VN Store

Back