'17 FL WR Jacquez Jones (UT signee)

Article on 247 says he'll still take all of his official visits.

Good. If other big time programs recruit him, it means our evaluation was on point. If he flips to a smaller school, it probably means we have bigger fish to fry because most of the teams that have offered aren't going to beat us for a recruit.

Reactions: 1 person
He didn't play CB at all last season

How the hell do you know? Did you recruit him?

FWIW, the Clearwater HS coaching staff provided detailed stats for Jones to MaxPreps the last 3 years. They show his defensive stats for the 2014-15 season but not 2015-16; could be an oversight but more likely that he played either sparingly or not all on defense, given that defensive stats are shown for 31 of his teammates.

At The Opening Orlando on Feb. 21, Jones measured 5-10, 165 and he recorded a 4.62 40, 4.20 shuttle, 30' powerball toss & a 32.6" vertical for a Nike Football Rating of 83.43, which ranked 87th out of 197 participants who received a rating.

Jones also runs track w/ a 100m PR of 11.38 (wind-assisted).

Jones is the type of player that will be able to work the middle of the field, find some openings and make plays after the catch. He'll be able to help a quarterback find some easy yardage with quick screens, shuffle passes and run-after-catch plays. Jones has a striking number of plays on film where he goes untouched. That's what Tennessee is getting in Jones and that's one thing the Tennessee offense has been missing.
Tennessee getting shifty on the outside

Last edited:
"I've been on the phone with some people that have evaluated Jones recently and the description that come up were burst and quickness. He has good speed, some even said great speed, but all agreed that his burst and acceleration was impressive.

And while he's just at 5-11, I think he plays bigger than that and that was the consensus I received as well.

Now, he's on the lighter side but obviously has plenty of time to add weight. I would say it's a good pickup. I don't think he's at the level of some of the other WRs they have been after like Higgins or Holloman, but I don't think they are going to stop recruiting those guys, either."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 2 people
"Now, he's on the lighter side but obviously has plenty of time to add weight. I would say it's a good pickup. I don't think he's at the level of some of the other WRs they have been after like Higgins or Holloman, but I don't think they are going to stop recruiting those guys, either."

- Fortenberry

Great, so this means when Jones gets recruited over later in the cycle, we have to listen to the VN moralists come out and tell us how evil Butch is for not honoring the commitment.

Reactions: 2 people
Cool, welcome aboard fellow Clearwater resident! I'll have to go watch him play this year. He must have saw me wearing all my Vol gear around Clearwater and became a VFL

Cool, welcome aboard fellow Clearwater resident! I'll have to go watch him play this year. He must have saw me wearing all my Vol gear around Clearwater and became a VFL
or saw the lovely lady on your arm and was converted like any red blooded 'mercan would be

Inky Johnson was a 2* with only 6 offers... Coleman Thomas, Gaulden, Weisman, Cam Sutton, Josh Smith, Jashon Robertson, Chance Hall, Vereen was all 3*'s...

Well that settles it . lets just 24 3* a few might be starters someday might even get 1 or 2 stars

Reactions: 3 people
Well that settles it . lets just 24 3* a few might be starters someday might even get 1 or 2 stars

You missed the point. Recruiting services get players wrong all the time. It's the coaches job to evaluate the recruits and CBJ and staff has proven to be great at finding diamonds in the rough.

Reactions: 3 people
You missed the point. Recruiting services get players wrong all the time. It's the coaches job to evaluate the recruits and CBJ and staff has proven to be great at finding diamonds in the rough.

What in the heck did these football coaches do before rivals? How did they recruit without knowing what stars Barton would give them?

You never know how some of these kids turn out during their senior season. Fils-Aime was injured his junior year, but blew it up his senior year. We were able to snag him during the summer when there were a lot of unknowns surrounding him. If the coaching staff likes him, I am sure he will be a great addition.

Lol...after 3.5 years on the job and doing things with recruiting that most of us were worried he couldn't do, you guys are still worried about Butch Jones and his staff's recruiting ability??? Butch's recruiting profile has proven itself over and over. His plan on how he attacks building each class has proven itself every single year. Does that mean that sometimes players get recruited over and asked to look at other options? Yes, but I think we can tell that almost all of those players are told from the beginning to take visits and keep their options open. Some of you may not like that, but this is a business. Something major would have to happen for me to ever be worried about recruiting again under Butch.

Welcome, Jacquez! Glad you chose to be a Vol.

Reactions: 7 people
Lol...after 3.5 years on the job and doing things with recruiting that most of us were worried he couldn't do, you guys are still worried about Butch Jones and his staff's recruiting ability??? Butch's recruiting profile has proven itself over and over. His plan on how he attacks building each class has proven itself every single year. Does that mean that sometimes players get recruited over and asked to look at other options? Yes, but I think we can tell that almost all of those players are told from the beginning to take visits and keep their options open. Some of you may not like that, but this is a business. Something major would have to happen for me to ever be worried about recruiting again under Butch.

Welcome, Jacquez! Glad you chose to be a Vol.

Very well stated, buddy...forgot to drop your mic. :salute:

How good is the competition he's playing against? It's 6A in a major metropolitan area of FL so I would imagine it's at least good if not very good...

I ask because he's making those kids look slow in his highlight reel...I know highlight tapes can be deceiving but I definitely see what Fortenberry is saying about the burst and acceleration

VN Store

Back