2017 QB CJ Lewis commits

If the kid played in the South, he's rated a minimum 4-star with a much better offer list. He lives in a predominately basketball area in Connecticut, and doesn't get the exposure as what the southern kids do. Kid is underrated for his skill set, and we got someone to help us build depth. Remember when we had 2 QBs on scholarship a few years ago? Just think if one of the current QB's transferred after the season. Doesn't look like a reach then, but alas, Volnation recruiting freak outs are at least entertaining to watch, even after being on the board almost 11 years.

Reactions: 1 person
If the kid played in the South, he's rated a minimum 4-star with a much better offer list. He lives in a predominately basketball area in Connecticut, and doesn't get the exposure as what the southern kids do. Kid is underrated for his skill set, and we got someone to help us build depth. Remember when we had 2 QBs on scholarship a few years ago? Just think if one of the current QB's transferred after the season. Doesn't look like a reach then, but alas, Volnation recruiting freak outs are at least entertaining to watch, even after being on the board almost 11 years.

Yeah, only camps it shows he went to on 247 is Tennessee, Umass, Rutgers, and Penn St.

The recruiting services and rankings are not perfect. Some guys don't get a certain rating because they played lower competition or didn't make it to a particular camp. Doesn't change the fact that they can ball. Look at the offer sheets from some of these 3*s they are being recruited by everyone. If you stargazers want to be miserable nobody is going to talk you out it but you sound unintelligent

Even the biggest sunshine pumpers have to admit that recruiting isn't going the way everyone hoped. Maybe winning 10 plus games will fix that. But right now something is amiss.

Reactions: 4 people
Even the biggest sunshine pumpers have to admit that recruiting isn't going the way everyone hoped. Maybe winning 10 plus games will fix that. But right now something is amiss.

It's July. Bookmark this thread and on NSD bring it back up and see if the same concerns are there.

We have got a recruiting class full of athletic young men who want to play for UT, not a class full of little boys who want UT to play for them! This class is looking really good to me, everybody can play on offense,defense & on special teams. There is no attitude with our recruits, just some of our fans. Everybody cannot be a 5 star or even a 4 star no matter how good they are because there are not enough spots. So the scouts pay attention to the big popular high schools & not some of the smaller or less popular schools. Our recruits are going to get some bumps up in stars & recruited by other schools. We got alot of speed in last years class & we got even more speed in this years class with alot of size & we are still recruiting!

Wait a second.. Our recurs are being being recited by basketball schools

I wasted my time reading all the back-and-forth thread posts. I should have gone straight to the video. Take a critical look at his work and you'll forget the ***.

Yes, he has the size, athleticism, quickness, and shows good decision-making. On one play, he's in the pocket, waiting, and even though he's not under pressure yet, he's got that clock in his head, so he starts moving laterally. Sure enough, a rusher had just broken free, but Lewis had already moved himself out of danger without taking his eyes from downfield.

But is everyone seeing those dimes he's dropping onto fly patterns, without breaking the stride of his receivers? Is everyone seeing the multiple trajectories he throws, each appropriate to the defenders' positions? Are you seeing where he puts the ball into tight coverage, and where his receiver catches it? This kid has that rarest and most treasured of QB qualities--ACCURACY.

CJ may not major in aeronautics, but he probably could. Cheshire Academy is truly "old school"--founded in 1794, emphasizing character development, it attracts students from 20 states and 32 countries, has 43 faculty with advanced degrees, and the school average SAT score is 1649.

Every indication is that CJ Lewis is a kid (and a QB) we want to welcome and embrace as a VFL!

This is what I saw as well but you put in better terms and more detail.

What has most impressed me about Butch's recruiting is that he not only goes after athletes that fit his system is that he also goes after young men that fit his system. If he is convinced that this is a quality young man then he knows it is much easier to not only develop him physically but also as a team mate.

Can any of you imagine how much more time you can spend on things that help the team like technique and understanding the offense or defense if you have a group of highly motivated young men that want to succeed as a team? I'm sure Butch evaluates and takes some marginal players, but not nearly as many as Georgia, LSU, SCe, or even Alabama. I believe the composition of the Vols is going to pay big dividends and we have Butch to thank for that.

And when I see this young man's tape and read about his background I see a fit for Butch's recruiting profile. He is Dobbs before Dobbs became a 4 star. I agree that Butch will pare some of the recruits we now have before NSD but I don't think Lewis is one of them. I think he signs and we will be happy.

I really enjoy this site, but I do worry about the poison being spread by a few posters and I do worry about how we are perceived by some of the recruits. It's like a drug addict who can't help themselves, we have posters that just spew negativity that cannot help our program. I have begun to spend a lot less time on this site just because, as someone else posted, "it makes me feel dirty".

Freak, can't you do something to clean out some of the "dirt"?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
We have got a recruiting class full of athletic young men who want to play for UT, not a class full of little boys who want UT to play for them! This class is looking really good to me, everybody can play on offense,defense & on special teams. There is no attitude with our recruits, just some of our fans. Everybody cannot be a 5 star or even a 4 star no matter how good they are because there are not enough spots. So the scouts pay attention to the big popular high schools & not some of the smaller or less popular schools. Our recruits are going to get some bumps up in stars & recruited by other schools. We got alot of speed in last years class & we got even more speed in this years class with alot of size & we are still recruiting!

AL needs to back off our recruits

The day Butch was hired, if someone told you he'd have the program mentioned in the top 10 after three seasons, predicted overwhelmingly to win the sec east and coming off a 9 win season in yr 3 EVERYONE here would have taken it. Suddenly though we have doctors, lawyers and grease monkeys knowing more about how to build the program than the man doing it.

Its July. Let's let this play out.

I used this "what if I told you" on last season.

During fall camp last yr...what if I told you TN would be leading 17-3 in 4th qt vs OK. And leading FL 27-14 in 4th. And leading ARK 14-0 in 1st qt. And even leading BAMMER by a few pts in the 4th. What would you have predicted the record to be?

Not where I thought it would be at this moment. But it will be decided by the season.

We aren't selling early playing time and we haven't proven ourselves yet.
We are right in between those two things and as you suggested, this class will definitely come down to whether we win or not.
Win, we good. Don't, ruh ro.
I'm fairly certain most know that, so there is no reason to b!#@h and gripe right now unless they're just the kind of person who likes to do that.

And let's be honest, you don't even have to look at the screen names to know who's doing it.

I for one am thankful we have a head coach and staff who base their decisions on what their own eyes see, what their own watches time, what their own character meters tell them about a kid and what their collective years of experience tell them about his potential.

Sure glad we went ahead and accepted his offer before Alabama, Clemson, and FSU offered! (Blue font) I'
ve restrained myself from criticizing, but this is puzzling to say the least! We don't even need a QB in this class!!Not really!

It's July. Bookmark this thread and on NSD bring it back up and see if the same concerns are there.

Bama, LSU, A&M, and UGA aren't struggling with the calendar, they're getting their pick of recruits right now. We're taking kids with offers from Buffalo and excusing it with "it's July" and the hope that recruiting services will start viewing our recruits like all the VN homers do - underrated 4*s.

Reactions: 3 people

What in the world are you talking about? This class absolutely sucks right now. These are the type of classes that get you beat down in the second half against good competition. This is a Kentucky class all day long.

I'm hoping and praying that Jones does a lot of culling between now and signing day.

I think some of you have forgotten that players and recruits are kids.

Attachments

• CoIl8vLWcAARkXm.jpg
    CoIl8vLWcAARkXm.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: 4 people
What in the world are you talking about? This class absolutely sucks right now. These are the type of classes that get you beat down in the second half against good competition. This is a Kentucky class all day long.

I'm hoping and praying that Jones does a lot of culling between now and signing day.

Doug Mathews said this morning that 4-5 current commits will end up elsewhere come NSD. I'm thinking it needs to be 6-7.

Reactions: 3 people
I hate being the pessimist, but I do not like the way this class is unfolding.
Hurts us either way...either we:

1) Tear it up on the field this fall and make the SECCG, a ton of four and five star guys come calling and we cut all of these 3 star guys loose...mkaes us look like we don't honor our commitments, which other programs will use against us.

2) We are don't live up to expectations this fall and we have this class full of 3 star guys (lesser talent) that is CBJ does get canned in the next year or two will leave the cupboard pretty empty for teh next guy.

Keep in mind I am not a huge fan of the stars system, and I believe anyone can be coached up. BUT at some point in time you just have to have sheer talent on the field and so far I don't see it in this recruiting class.

Why is it that everyone hates to be a pessimist but goes ahead and posts the same drivel I've heard in many, many posts before?? Sorry

Reactions: 2 people
Sure glad we went ahead and accepted his offer before Alabama, Clemson, and FSU offered! (Blue font) I'
ve restrained myself from criticizing, but this is puzzling to say the least! We don't even need a QB in this class!!Not really!

You need a QB in every class. Now whether or not you shoot for the moon and get a highly rated 4 or 5 star in every class is another matter entirely.

This kid looks good from his Hudl. Good movement on the field and extends plays with his legs and seems to have a nice touch on the deep pass. He is a little raw, but I trust in the coaching staff to properly evaluate talent and see future potential. They've done a pretty decent job so far.

VN Store

Back