2017 QB CJ Lewis commits

North Carolina, Washington, and Maryland have more 4* than we do right now. And that first year coach in Athens is absolutely eating Butch's lunch with his class. Terrible

What do Cam Sutton, Chance Hall, Cory Vereen, Coleman Thomas have in common? I know there are others but these were just off the top of my head.

Can we please wait until close to February to whine??

Even the biggest sunshine pumpers have to admit that recruiting isn't going the way everyone hoped. Maybe winning 10 plus games will fix that. But right now something is amiss.

Of course they believe this, but only a few will admit that on VN

I would like for someone to find a team that wins on a major level with majority of 3* talent. I like Butch as much as the next guy, but a lot of you act like he is the only person in the country who can evaluate under the radar talent. Sure some of these kids may play above their 3* ranking. Some 4 and 5* will be busts. But there is a reason certain kids create a buzz and are ranked so high and vice versa. The Alabama's, Clemson's and Ohio State's are loading up on these high caliber kids for a reason. And it's showing up on the field.

Everyone argues that Butch has proven he can recruit, but those first 2 classes were mostly built of hype from a new HC at UT, playing time, instate talent, and legacies. AND we can't even get those now.

I don't know if it's the scheme, the coaches ( seems recruiting dropped after Debord ) or Butch being so freaking robotic in everything he says, or the ability to close out games. Maybe even other kids taken notice that no big time players are coming, or all kept decommiting. Whatever the reason, something is happening and it don't look, or feel very promising. Even if we win big this year, we lose a TON of talent. I'd assume no one would want to play with a bunch of lesser talented kids. We're going to take a big step back in winning percentage and be back to pre Butch era.

The same argument was once made for Dooley. (He gets paid to do this, I trust him, they know more than we do, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'll be willing to bet anybody that all the the committed players Tenn has today will not sign with the VOLS on NSD. Any takers? Probably 4 or 5 will not sign.

If there are any takers and you need some extra money to back you up...just let me know...in a hurry...:)

GO VOLS!

What in the world are you talking about? This class absolutely sucks right now. These are the type of classes that get you beat down in the second half against good competition. This is a Kentucky class all day long.

I'm hoping and praying that Jones does a lot of culling between now and signing day.

These are the kids that went to the camps and balled out. You aren't getting paid 4 million to make these decision's & that is for a good reason! If you think this is a Kentucky class then change your name to kentuckylakevol & go smoke some Bluegrass all day long!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
I would like for someone to find a team that wins on a major level with majority of 3* talent. I like Butch as much as the next guy, but a lot of you act like he is the only person in the country who can evaluate under the radar talent. Sure some of these kids may play above their 3* ranking. Some 4 and 5* will be busts. But there is a reason certain kids create a buzz and are ranked so high and vice versa. The Alabama's, Clemson's and Ohio State's are loading up on these high caliber kids for a reason. And it's showing up on the field.

Everyone argues that Butch has proven he can recruit, but those first 2 classes were mostly built of hype from a new HC at UT, playing time, instate talent, and legacies. AND we can't even get those now.

I don't know if it's the scheme, the coaches ( seems recruiting dropped after Debord ) or Butch being so freaking robotic in everything he says, or the ability to close out games. Maybe even other kids taken notice that no big time players are coming, or all kept decommiting. Whatever the reason, something is happening and it don't look, or feel very promising. Even if we win big this year, we lose a TON of talent. I'd assume no one would want to play with a bunch of lesser talented kids. We're going to take a big step back in winning percentage and be back to pre Butch era.

The same argument was once made for Dooley. (He gets paid to do this, I trust him, they know more than we do, etc

Oregon, Oklahoma, Michigan St, Baylor, Wisconsin, TCU, Louisville... Arkansas whipped us last year with a bunch of .... 3 stars. Missouri won
the East 2 years in a row with a bunch of....3 stars.

If you think we're going back to the incompetence of the "pre-Butch era" under this staff, then we may have to recommend you for a psychological evaluation.

Reactions: 4 people
Do Vol fans want the recruiting #'s to not matter, about right now they possibly feel that way, don't you think?

Get with it Butch, get the numbers up ^^^^^^
Jump Higher Butch

We will be very competitive this year with 3 and 4 star athletes mixed with a few elite out of high school. This is what this class will look like come signing day.

Doug Mathews said this morning that 4-5 current commits will end up elsewhere come NSD. I'm thinking it needs to be 6-7.

4-5 is likely low. Catbone posted in another thread what the class was in July last year on the same day. It was 13 commits with 7 4* guys and 6 3*. I believe 5-6 of those 13 were not part of the class. Today we have 3 4* and 22-24 commits. If Butch replaces 4-5 current 3* with 4*, we would still struggle to finish above 15-20th class wise. There is also the real possibility some of those replaced 3* may be replaced by a 3*.

IMO fans need to temper those top 5-10 class expectations. Literally half the class has to be "upgraded * wise to be top 10.

Reactions: 2 people
Oregon, Oklahoma, Michigan St, Baylor, Wisconsin, TCU, Louisville... Arkansas whipped us last year with a bunch of .... 3 stars. Missouri won
the East 2 years in a row with a bunch of....3 stars.

If you think we're going back to the incompetence of the "pre-Butch era" under this staff, then we may have to recommend you for a psychological evaluation.

Those teams haven't really won on the big stage. Their conference/weak schedule helped them. Oregon can be labeled gimmicky and couldn't win the big one against greater competition. Oklahoma may be an exception, but it's not like they didn't have great talent. Missouri took advantage of an extremely down East. The playoffs will do a great job of separating the weak abs the strong

Your post can also reflect great coaching. Butch may not be the man to get it done, even with the talent we have now. If he can't, we can't expect him to do more, with less coming in.

Stoops great coach. Pinkle great coach. Butch seems to be in a learning curve and yet to be determined. We'll know more after this season.

Just filling the class to give illusion of trying. Leaves after this season.

See. We can all make random wild doom and gloom guesses.

guys we have 3 VERY solid underclassmen qbs on roster already. maybe the coaches saw a chance to snag a guy they think has potential and needs some development. we have that luxury with who we already have on campus. Until they show me a reason to be worried i trust the coaches evals.

Those teams haven't really won on the big stage. Their conference/weak schedule helped them. Oregon can be labeled gimmicky and couldn't win the big one against greater competition. Oklahoma may be an exception, but it's not like they didn't have great talent. Missouri took advantage of an extremely down East. The playoffs will do a great job of separating the weak abs the strong

Your post can also reflect great coaching. Butch may not be the man to get it done, even with the talent we have now. If he can't, we can't expect him to do more, with less coming in.

Stoops great coach. Pinkle great coach. Butch seems to be in a learning curve and yet to be determined. We'll know more after this season.

Is it time to put up or shut up for Butch Jones, some will say yes and some will say yes.......show us Butch!

The problem now is winning. If we make a statement this year, we'll get the recruits because of our upward trend anyway.

The problem now is winning. If we make a statement this year, we'll get the recruits because of our upward trend anyway.

Isn't winning 5 games, then 7, then 9 an upward trend? We were losing in blowouts under Dooley. I see it as a significant upward trend now if we lose, its by less than a TD. Its a ballgame to the final whistle. All the media is saying is UT is back. UT picked as a title contender. That, is an upward trend. Why is our recruiting looking like it's going the other way? Honestly, I'm not sure. It looks to me like something is wrong. I get others prefer to "wait". I just hope we don't wait too long. If you're waiting in recruiting, you're likely falling behind.

Isn't winning 5 games, then 7, then 9 an upward trend? We were losing in blowouts under Dooley. I see it as a significant upward trend now if we lose, its by less than a TD. Its a ballgame to the final whistle. All the media is saying is UT is back. UT picked as a title contender. That, is an upward trend. Why is our recruiting looking like it's going the other way? Honestly, I'm not sure. It looks to me like something is wrong. I get others prefer to "wait". I just hope we don't wait too long. If you're waiting in recruiting, you're likely falling behind.

Because recruits don't want to lose close. They want to win the big games. That's what we have to show.

Bama, LSU, A&M, and UGA aren't struggling with the calendar, they're getting their pick of recruits right now. We're taking kids with offers from Buffalo and excusing it with "it's July" and the hope that recruiting services will start viewing our recruits like all the VN homers do - underrated 4*s.

Bama, LSU, and UGA have been a lot better than us for the past 10 years, and A&M is situated in one of largest recruits paradises in the nation. If we get to Atlanta this year, we will be fine. How quickly some forget the smell of burning mattresses, Dapper Dan, and beer bottle throwing QBs in our recent past. I'd much rather worry about beating UF, UGA, and Bama right now, than to worry about who we have committed in July, because if we beat 2/3 of those teams this year, the list will look much different come NSD.

It can still be sold as improvement and trending upward. The fact our recruiting looks like it does today, even in July with the hype behind this program is a problem IMO.

I already said that I thought it would be better than it is.
But the media and other teams sold the premise that we under achieved.
It's been said every time they discuss us.
The only way we overcome that now,is to win.

I think as far as qb and wr's go the reason were missing on some of these guys is becouse of the system we run. Its not producing good stats for these guys and we know most kids wanna get to the nfl

Bama, LSU, A&M, and UGA aren't struggling with the calendar, they're getting their pick of recruits right now. We're taking kids with offers from Buffalo and excusing it with "it's July" and the hope that recruiting services will start viewing our recruits like all the VN homers do - underrated 4*s.

Ah there you are wondering when you'd join the bashfest

VN Store

Back