2017 QB CJ Lewis commits

Me either. Especially with a top 5* 2018 QB saying just yesterday we would benefit from not taking a QB this class. We really don't need one, especially a 3*. Not to disparege the kid, but we need to be a bit smarter than to take every 3* guy that wants to jump on the train.

A lot of QBs end up at safety, cb wr, or Lb. Don't sweat it. His film looks like he is a very good athlete.

It would be so interesting, just once, to see what is going on with the coaches and their thinking and strategy with recruiting juxtaposed to what we see/hear on volnation. I fear the two may be miles apart.

From 247's Steve Wilfong:
247Sports Take: New Tennessee QB commit has all the tools

Tennessee offensive coordinator Mike DeBord and the Vols staff has had Lewis on the radar for months. DeBord went and saw him at the school during the evaluation period and had him in camp in June where Lewis ran 4.5 in the 40-yard dash. DeBord and company are only taking plus-athletes at the quarterback position and Lewis certainly fits that mold. That’s great speed for the size Lewis will bring under center.

At the New Jersey Nike Football The Opening Regional I thought Lewis flashed a bunch with his arm strength, a fluid athlete that can throw on the move and just flick it with nice velocity on intermediate routes. And in addition to his legs, no question the strength of Lewis’s game is chucking it downfield with accuracy.

“He can throw the deep ball as well as anyone I’ve seen,” Cheshire Academy coach Dave Dykeman said.

Reactions: 3 people
Those teams haven't really won on the big stage. Their conference/weak schedule helped them. Oregon can be labeled gimmicky and couldn't win the big one against greater competition. Oklahoma may be an exception, but it's not like they didn't have great talent. Missouri took advantage of an extremely down East. The playoffs will do a great job of separating the weak abs the strong

Your post can also reflect great coaching. Butch may not be the man to get it done, even with the talent we have now. If he can't, we can't expect him to do more, with less coming in.

Stoops great coach. Pinkle great coach. Butch seems to be in a learning curve and yet to be determined. We'll know more after this season.

You have to be kidding, you asked for examples and were given division and/or conference champions from all the P5 conferences except the ACC. When you didn't like the answer you try and defend your position with the above statements. Unbelievable

Reactions: 2 people
He was better than what I expected when I watched his film.
Have to see how looks against the big boys though. He does have accuracy and arm strength however.

Have to see how looks against the big boys though. He does have accuracy and arm strength however.

I was impressed when I watched his film too.

However, his competition seemed to be lacking! He looked like a man among boys for the most part.

Reactions: 1 person

And 4.5 speed to boot.........suddenly it all makes sense....
thanks,
Butch Jones

Film on this kid looks very impressive to me. Everyone should check it out before looking at the star ranking or offer list. I'm excited to see what this kid can do in this offense. Oh and BOOM!

It would be so interesting, just once, to see what is going on with the coaches and their thinking and strategy with recruiting juxtaposed to what we see/hear on volnation. I fear the two may be miles apart.

Not fear, but an absolute prayer (or requirement). I, as most on this site, are not assessing skills, character and competencies of the recruits. For some reason, I don't think that Butch & Co are not living not the 'star' system either.

Wasn't Dobbs a three star on some polls?As was Cam Sutton.Also,anyone,especially a high school junior telling anyone;but,specifically Tennessee that they should pass on a Qb this year,shows a lot of hubrus or over inflated ego or both.Butch and the recruiters here have done far better than ok so far.

I keep seeing people bashing those that are critical of this recruitment, and using the 3* argument.

You guys do understand that's not the issue, right? It's not the fact that he's a 3* that's bothering everyone. We've taken wayyyy too many 3*s, but this backlash is coming from that fact that he's not even ranked in the top 1600 of high school football players.

Also, his offer list is awful. We are taking a kid who holds offers from no one except a bunch of no-name programs that couldn't hold UT's jock strap, and we're supposed to put this kid up against Alabama every year?

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope in 3 years this thread is bumped and all of us naysayers look stupid, but to be the best you have to beat the best. Bama could potentially start ELEVEN 5*s on defense alone this year. How can we beat them with this kind of recruiting?

There's a reason our direct competition didn't extend an offer to CJ Lewis. I want this kid to stun me and make me look stupid, but I'm sorry, I'm just not optimistic about it.

I keep seeing people bashing those that are critical of this recruitment, and using the 3* argument.

You guys do understand that's not the issue, right? It's not the fact that he's a 3* that's bothering everyone. We've taken wayyyy too many 3*s, but this backlash is coming from that fact that he's not even ranked in the top 1600 of high school football players.

Also, his offer list is awful. We are taking a kid who holds offers from no one except a bunch of no-name programs that couldn't hold UT's jock strap, and we're supposed to put this kid up against Alabama every year?

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope in 3 years this thread is bumped and all of us naysayers look stupid, but to be the best you have to beat the best. Bama could potentially start ELEVEN 5*s on defense alone this year. How can we beat them with this kind of recruiting?

There's a reason our direct competition didn't extend and offer to CJ Lewis. I want this kid to stun me and make me look stupid, but I'm sorry, I'm just not optimistic about it.

If you're interested, he hadn't been evaluated very well. After he committed, sites decided to take another look. He moved up 700 spots in the national rankings since.

Really would like to see a solid commit from a 5 star RB and a 4 star RB -- the 2 key postions were losing key players after this season and not really much depth there

If you're interested, he hadn't been evaluated very well. After he committed, sites decided to take another look. He moved up 700 spots in the national rankings since.

After thinking about what I just said, even I'm surprised.

The kid moved up 700 spots

Makes you wonder how much attention you should pay to recruiting sites once you get out of the top 150 or so.
They obviously don't have time to watch every one of those guys.

Reactions: 2 people
After thinking about what I just said, even I'm surprised.

The kid moved up 700 spots

Makes you wonder how much attention you should pay to recruiting sites once you get out of the top 150 or so.
They obviously don't have time to watch every one of those guys.

Exactly. It is a guessing game IMO. All kids do not attend the camps. All kids do not go to a school that gets attention. Some develop late. Some do great at camps and get good ratings but look just average when playing - for others it is reversed.

I'm sure that there are really great players that never get noticed and thus don't end up with the stars, because they can't expose themselves in the right way to the right folks.

And then when a couple of big schools notice, the recruiting sites start paying attention.

Actually the recruiting sites should carry a caveat that the ratings are based on players they have evaluated. It would be interesting to understanding how many they actually evaluated to get to their top 150, 300, etc.

Some of you seem to think they evaluate all high school players - they don't.

VN Store

Back