Jimmy Hyams on The Zone

Jimmy also said that Ignont was a 3* commit yesterday on his show, so....

#1 - Correct
#2 - That's the company line, not necessarily true. He has applied himself and worked hard. For whatever reason he is not developing as he should (Mahoney/Debored). A position change may be in order.
#3 - Partially correct. He is not a disappointment. He was dinged up in fall camp and has been learning several positions while playing behind some top talent. He will be fine, probably dominant, as he gains more experience and settles in to playing one position. His body type is DE, not DT.
#4 - Agree
#5 - Callaway should have already played extensively. Game breaking talent. Had they used him instead of Byrd, Byrd would be starting as a shut down CB. That is where he really wants to play (his words) and the team needs him. Just another in a long list of under-utilized/developed/out of positioned talent.

I didn't realize that players get to determine where they play and coaches merely meet those requests. Please enlighten us as to the other hidden gems on the team that are being held back simply because the coaches want to lose.

TIFWIW but Jimmy Hyams was just on 104.5 the zone. He had several comments I found interesting.

1. Josh Smith has been battling a groin injury. Doubtful he will be a return man as some had speculated.

2. Said Richmond not as good as Richmond thought he was. Hasn't applied himself. Even put him in the same category as Blair.

3. Kongbo been a disappointment so far with 4 tackles on the year. Says he was unfairly hyped. Sees him as a DE only.

4. He doesn't believe the OL will be as healthy as some are saying. Still patchwork. Says Weisman and Hall are still iffy and Jones will have a club on his hand.

5. Same goes for the WR unit as a whole. Only four WR available. Jeff George isn't ready and they are thinking about pulling the redshirt off of Callaway.

6. DL as a whole, with the exception of Barnett, has been a disappointment. Even before McKenzie and O'Brien were lost. He really expected Tuttle to be dominant and he hasn't been.

He did say he expects UT to come out of the off week strong and that they should handle SC.

I like how that finishes.

With that said, they'll be just fine this week. Ha

Hyams is an excellent journalist.
Multiple sources say Hall is dressed but doing little to no work at practice. Same for Weisman.

The only issue with this is it isn't what you want to hear.

I am not one who avoids bad news like some here do.... and Hyams is NOT an excellent journalist. He inserts opinions and speculation into his "reporting".

For instance, the staff or Kongbo may insist on keeping him at DE. But he has a LONG way to go before becoming effective at that position. He isn't quick enough or explosive enough.... and wasn't as a recruit either. He has elite potential inside.

Reactions: 1 person
Multiple sources say Hall is dressed but doing little to no work at practice. Same for Weisman.

Agree. Can't argue with any of it.
Too many on here hate on anyone that tells it like it is, unless they only tell the positives and ignore the rest of the story.

Reactions: 2 people
Either need to evaluate recruits better or coach them up better. Too many busts or late to develop at OL and DL.

Please name these busts besides Kyle Phillips who can't stay healthy and McKenzie was coming off of a broken leg. I guess you can hang your hat on Richmond but you could also argue that Thomas, Kendrick, Robertson, Weisman, and Hall have exceeded expectations because neither of them were very highly rated coming out of high school. Jack Jones was highly rated but didn't have a ton of offers coming out of high school and I guess everyone missed on Richmond because he had a huge offer list.

TIFWIW but Jimmy Hyams was just on 104.5 the zone. He had several comments I found interesting.

1. Josh Smith has been battling a groin injury. Doubtful he will be a return man as some had speculated.

2. Said Richmond not as good as Richmond thought he was. Hasn't applied himself. Even put him in the same category as Blair.

3. Kongbo been a disappointment so far with 4 tackles on the year. Says he was unfairly hyped. Sees him as a DE only.

4. He doesn't believe the OL will be as healthy as some are saying. Still patchwork. Says Weisman and Hall are still iffy and Jones will have a club on his hand.

5. Same goes for the WR unit as a whole. Only four WR available. Jeff George isn't ready and they are thinking about pulling the redshirt off of Callaway.

6. DL as a whole, with the exception of Barnett, has been a disappointment. Even before McKenzie and O'Brien were lost. He really expected Tuttle to be dominant and he hasn't been.

He did say he expects UT to come out of the off week strong and that they should handle SC.

Wow. So much good news.

Well, I'm Encouraged! :loco:

The funny thing is, if Hyams had been positive you'd have called him a terrible journalist....LOL

You and your buds are just broken records....You should have your own forum....

Yep, all they do is complain. He is probably still upset about CBJ punching players. This team has improved year after year since he has arrived including beating UF for the first time since 06' but that doesn't matter because he should have been able to beat the reigning NC with reserves of reserves. Of course, there is no excuse for those reserves not being as prepared, game ready, and more talented than the actual starters.

Reactions: 4 people
This is fist time someone used 'Jimmy Hyams' and 'excellent journalist' in same sentence !! The world you are looking for is 'awful journalist'.

ok, we'll you're an awful person. see how easy bald assertions are.

Hyams was a decorated columnist and continues to be recognized as one of the top professionals around. You're just some schmuck on a forum. Get over it.

Agree. Can't argue with any of it.
Too many on here hate on anyone that tells it like it is, unless they only tell the positives and ignore the rest of the story.

this.
Hyams is on 5 days a week and I'm sure he's been wrong, but overall the guy is top shelf. He really isn't cut out for radio, as his background is print media, but he's done well.
I've seen people on the forum put out blatsntly false info, referencing what he's said on 104.5.

Reactions: 2 people

How is Hyams an excellent journalist when he gets all of his information from the same sources some of us do? Second and third hand. Hyams is not an "insider" and hasn't been for a very long time, if he ever even was.

well, if Jimmy said it then I guess we're done for...guess Butch has been telling him all this info he has to pass out...since they're good friends and all...:thud:...:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:
What a douche...:stinker2:

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the consensus on how KMac played this year? He also seems less than expected--but then we were expecting dominance.

What's the consensus on how KMac played this year? He also seems less than expected--but then we were expecting dominance.

KMac, by all accounts, came to Tennessee as one of the top players in the country...Scout actually had him as the #1 player in the country.

He's played in 6.5 games or so....12 tackles, .5 TFL, no sacks. None of that is particularly good and is certainly nowhere near dominant.

KMac, by all accounts, came to Tennessee as one of the top players in the country...Scout actually had him as the #1 player in the country.

He's played in 6.5 games or so....12 tackles, .5 TFL, no sacks. None of that is particularly good and is certainly nowhere near dominant.
They had him at #1 even though he didn't play his senior high school season? How does that happen?

VN Store

Back