Jimmy Hyams on The Zone

Very bad news. Hopefully we find a way to win 9 games. We will drop at least one of the next 4 SEC games

I really wanna see Calloway at WR and bird at CB I got a feeling,one side of the field on defense would be locked down with him covering any teams number 1 receiver..

They had him at #1 even though he didn't play his senior high school season? How does that happen?

That's a good point but personally I think our DT's are to light and get pushed around by bigger OL they can never shed a block which is why we are horrible at defending the run because the middle is always open and some of that could go on the middle linebackers also but we are hurt there to,Butch is focused more on speed Which is understandable but what does speed matter when we can't get any penetration? On defense we are only good on one side and that's barrnets side imagine when he leaves how bad this Defense might look getting no pressure on any QB we are just skinny up front

I really wanna see Calloway at WR and bird at CB I got a feeling,one side of the field on defense would be locked down with him covering any teams number 1 receiver..

Should have been that way from Day 1 -- the DBs are bad without Sutton --- also since Smith wont be returning punts --- will it be Byrd ? fwiw I would trust Fingers posts more than Jimmy -- any updates Fingers ?

Reactions: 2 people
Should have been that way from Day 1 -- the DBs are bad without Sutton --- also since Smith wont be returning punts --- will it be Byrd ?

I agree 100% but as we all know Butch jones is stubborn and common sense to us is a questionable and debatable decisions for Butch,Tyler bird has been described as another cam Sutton and Calloway is just a freak in open space not to mention a good receiver but unless he try's it out and tampers with the talent he has recruited we will never know but tweeking the OL is a must no brained by Butch and we still struggle explain burning a red shirt on a under weight freshman and not putting in a veteran that's been riding the bench that's possibly more capable being the fix but bird at punt return is very very appealing josh smith is to slow

Reactions: 1 person
We don't use our WRs NEARLY enough to warrant our best players to be at that position. They'd be better at DB. It'll he interesting to see who moves next year

Reactions: 3 people
I didn't realize that players get to determine where they play and coaches merely meet those requests. Please enlighten us as to the other hidden gems on the team that are being held back simply because the coaches want to lose.

CFB is littered with ex coaches who thought they could out smart the system. Sometimes if a player is a natural fit for a position then let him play the position. Jennings should be playing both ways and I'm convinced he would be a better safety than WR. Derrick Henry almost committed to UT bc Bama wanted to put him at DE. Saban was stacked at DE so gave him a shot at RB and the rest is history.

Honestly I think Butch refuses to admit that CZA is the issue with the WRs so he keeps sticking his most talented athletes there to cover up the problem.

CFB is littered with ex coaches who thought they could out smart the system. Sometimes if a player is a natural fit for a position then let him play the position. Jennings should be playing both ways and I'm convinced he would be a better safety than WR. Derrick Henry almost committed to UT bc Bama wanted to put him at DE. Saban was stacked at DE so gave him a shot at RB and the rest is history.

Honestly I think Butch refuses to admit that CZA is the issue with the WRs so he keeps sticking his most talented athletes there to cover up the problem.

This x100 but that also plays into dobbs not being able to throw or do you think that's just a front?..because these WR have dropped a lot of balls this year dobbs hasn't throw all that bad deep down field

We don't use our WRs NEARLY enough to warrant our best players to be at that position. They'd be better at DB. It'll he interesting to see who moves next year

So much this right here. In our "super conservative run it up the middle game plan against Bama" we passed it 31 times. That is more than either the Ohio game or the OT App State game. Both those games would have been blow outs if Dobbs was flinging it down the field like he did against UF and aTm.
Here's hoping JG is as good on Saturdays as he was on Fridays so we can finally take advantage of our WRs

This x100 but that also plays into dobbs not being able to throw or do you think that's just a front?..because these WR have dropped a lot of balls this year dobbs hasn't throw all that bad deep down field

I think the dropped balls have a lot to do with guys playing WR for the first time in their career. It can take years to fine tune muscle memory so catching a ball is more a reflex than a conscious thought. Throw in more complex route running, playing with nagging injuries, and an inaccurate QB and it leads to drops.

As a side note, some of the bigger drops have been by Croom (TD against UF and the int against aTm) have more to do with him just not being a good pass catcher. He was a QB in HS, we tried to turn him into a WR bc of his size and speed but that didn't work bc of his hands. He's been a good blocking TE (he set up the UGA Hail Mary) but Dobbs needs to stop throwing him the ball

Some kids develop at a different rate than others. Richmond probably thought, as many kids do coming out of highschool, that you can just show up and be dominant. We he saw that wasn't the case he probably lost some motivation. I bet he comes around sooner rather than later.

Also, I wonder if Butch started him against Appy State to prove a point?

True. It seems that when a HS OL is a 5*, then he should automatically be the next Cam Robinson or Laremy Tunsil. Thats just flat out silly. Its beyond crazy to compare Richmond to Blair at this point.

Personally I think some (both players and fans) get caught up in the recruiting 5*, 4* hype. When those players get to college they are surrounded by others with the same ratings along with players that were not rated as high but more often than not are more willing to prove what they can do. I dare say some come in thinking they are going to shock the college world just like they shocked their smaller world at the high school level and get discouraged when they realize they are going to have to work for playing time.

Tennessee needs more Jauan Jennings type of players - players that are willing to work hard to earn playing time and find a position where they can contribute to the team. That type of attitude is something you can't teach - a player has to have it or find it on their own.

I think the dropped balls have a lot to do with guys playing WR for the first time in their career. It can take years to fine tune muscle memory so catching a ball is more a reflex than a conscious thought. Throw in more complex route running, playing with nagging injuries, and an inaccurate QB and it leads to drops.

As a side note, some of the bigger drops have been by Croom (TD against UF and the int against aTm) have more to do with him just not being a good pass catcher. He was a QB in HS, we tried to turn him into a WR bc of his size and speed but that didn't work bc of his hands. He's been a good blocking TE (he set up the UGA Hail Mary) but Dobbs needs to stop throwing him the ball

That is very true this is why I loved trooper Taylor and his famous saying "if it hits you in the hands it was catchable" but he's bad news anyways the A&M game was super sloppy but when in doubt and it's close debord has shown he will take risk to win but why does he not fully open the playbook earlier in games ,I will never understand it ever, debord is just way to conservative when it doesn't matter which allows come backs from teams and I dont like that we could very well be 6-1 right now if debord came out early with his playbook I think

Last edited:

Dobbs can throw. Thats not the problem even though many want to say it is. He has never had a good OL since he has been here. Until this season, he has never had a truly healthy WR corps. We like to rotate WRs like crazy which prevents Dobbs to get into any kind of rhythm. Also, until this year, I dont Dobbs has ever had any WR he can truly trust and rely on to consistently make big time catches. Dobbs is not the best deep ball threat, but it has improved.

I often wonder what Dobbs stats would look like if he and an OL and WR group that Watson has had. I think his stats would be much, much better. I am not saying he is Watson, because he isnt. But nobody can deny that Watson has had the advantage of a much better OL, WR and OC.

Personally I think some (both players and fans) get caught up in the recruiting 5*, 4* hype. When those players get to college they are surrounded by others with the same ratings along with players that were not rated as high but more often than not are more willing to prove what they can do. I dare say some come in thinking they are going to shock the college world just like they shocked their smaller world at the high school level and get discouraged when they realize they are going to have to work for playing time.

Tennessee needs more Jauan Jennings type of players - players that are willing to work hard to earn playing time and find a position where they can contribute to the team. That type of attitude is something you can't teach - a player has to have it or find it on their own.

All I can say is.."Tennessee boy" wanting to see his hometown college school win and be relevant again love his passion I'll never forget him when he leaves here

Reactions: 3 people
Dobbs can throw. Thats not the problem even though many want to say it is. He has never had a good OL since he has been here. Until this season, he has never had a truly healthy WR corps. We like to rotate WRs like crazy which prevents Dobbs to get into any kind of rhythm. Also, until this year, I dont Dobbs has ever had any WR he can truly trust and rely on to consistently make big time catches. Dobbs is not the best deep ball threat, but it has improved.

I often wonder what Dobbs stats would look like if he and an OL and WR group that Watson has had. I think his stats would be much, much better. I am not saying he is Watson, because he isnt. But nobody can deny that Watson has had the advantage of a much better OL, WR and OC.

Yes!! But I don't think Dobbs reads a defense I think he already knows who he's going throw it to befor the play malone and Jennings are his favorites But when this topic comes up I always refer to last years bowl game he ran at will,with no problems it opened up everything and kept the defense honest without loading the box that's when the OL struggles really bad kinda like LSU being one dimensional Dobbs is key to our problems being fixed I think and personally forcing Dobbs to be a pro style QB by staying in the pocket and not allowing him to run is hurting us he beats teams with his legs which opens up the run and the pass to where has time to throw accurately

Last edited:
Yes!! But I don't think Dobbs reads a defense I think he already knows who he's going throw it to befor the play malone and Jennings are his favorites But when this topic comes up I always refer to last years bowl game he ran at will,with no problems it opened up everything and kept the defense honest without loading the box that's when the OL struggles really bad kinda like LSU being one dimensional Dobbs is key to our problems being fixed I think and personally forcing Dobbs to be a pro style QB by staying in the pocket and not allowing him to run is hurting us he beats teams with his legs which opens up the run and the pass to where has time to throw accurately

I can agree with this and have wondered myself why Dobbs hasnt run more this year. I wonder if the hits he has taken has gotten to him a little. The guy has taken some massive hits the past 2 years. Mayhe he wants to protect his body a little better? We are the most dangerous when Dobbs runs at will. For some reason, he just hasnt really done that this year like last.

They had him at #1 even though he didn't play his senior high school season? How does that happen?

Largely because of his dominance at The Opening. He was already very highly regarded after his junior season and then he absolutely dominated some of the best OLs in the country at that prestigious camp.

Last edited:
5. Not bad news at all. 4 is all we need to be playing anyway. Give me Malone, Jennings, Byrd and Brandon Johnson. Throw Callaway in there occasionally if they want. Anybody paying attention knew George wasn't gonna contribute this year, his 2-3 O&W game catches notwithstanding.

Malone needs to start catching balls... so many passes that kid should have had I hate it for him because he has a lot of things going for him

I can agree with this and have wondered myself why Dobbs hasnt run more this year. I wonder if the hits he has taken has gotten to him a little. The guy has taken some massive hits the past 2 years. Mayhe he wants to protect his body a little better? We are the most dangerous when Dobbs runs at will. For some reason, he just hasnt really done that this year like last.

The kid can play I wish he would run more honestly because when he does it open ups the run,takes pressure off the OLine and opens up the pass I just don't understand, Dobbs is a lot better than what people give him credit for maybe not with accuracy but with the want to when it comes to winning

Callaway don't play the same position as Byrd..Callaway play on the outside.. Trust me if he was ready he would have been playing.. Brandon Johnson took his spot..he is behind Malone..

Largely because of his dominance at The Opening. He was already very highly regarded after his junior season and then he absolutely dominated some of the best OLs in the country at that prestigious camp.

KB do you think KMac not playing his SR year hrut him? I think it did a little. He was absolutely wrecking dudes before he missed that year.

I think he is earnestly trying to do what the coaches tell him to do.

The grand irony is: if they let him run he's going to take fewer big hits in the long run. When he makes plays with his legs he completely changes defensive schemes and our whole offense changes. Dobbs gets more in rhythm with the pass game; defenses can't come after him as hard; defenses have to respect the pass; he gets the chance to elude tacklers and take the sting off hits.

Why the BSiA never embraced his running threat is beyond me. Of course, why they didn't embrace those I-formation wrinkles so successful in the Northwestern game is beyond me too. But, hey, they make bank coaching football so cue the Neil Degrasse Tyson "I don't know" meme.

VN Store

Back