Jimmy Hyams on The Zone

Callaway don't play the same position as Byrd..Callaway play on the outside.. Trust me if he was ready he would have been playing.. Brandon Johnson took his spot..he is behind Malone..

Correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn they said they was gonna use Calloway as a slot because of his speed not as an outside receiver because those are josh Malone and Jennings I don't see them swapping them out in the rotation to often

Callaway don't play the same position as Byrd..Callaway play on the outside.. Trust me if he was ready he would have been playing.. Brandon Johnson took his spot..he is behind Malone..

I don't trust you.

KMac, by all accounts, came to Tennessee as one of the top players in the country...Scout actually had him as the #1 player in the country.

He's played in 6.5 games or so....12 tackles, .5 TFL, no sacks. None of that is particularly good and is certainly nowhere near dominant.
Absolutely. not to mention he came in out of shape, when his dad is the freakin GM of an NFL team. not like he couldn't have gotten some work there, huh. Huge dissapointment. I really think this staff puts too much focus on weight. I could careless of my d linemen can model underwear. I want em unmovable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Malone needs to start catching balls... so many passes that kid should have had I hate it for him because he has a lot of things going for him

Having a very solid season. Only poor game he's had was the TAM game IMO. He shrunk a bit from their physical DBs and just didn't attack the ball like he should have....like Jennings does. He's gotta find that next emotional/attitudinal gear IMO. If he ever does he'll be special, because I think he has all the physical tools he needs to be great.

This is fist time someone used 'Jimmy Hyams' and 'excellent journalist' in same sentence !! The world you are looking for is 'awful journalist'.

Not true. I also believe he is a solid reporter. Doesn't try to pass off wild opinions as fact. Not flashy, not cool. Not a radio "personality". When he does give an opinion, he is always careful to tell you that's what it is. I have often defended him when people like you slam him.

KB do you think KMac not playing his SR year hrut him? I think it did a little. He was absolutely wrecking dudes before he missed that year.

Certainly didn't help, but surely by now it shouldn't be an issue. He's been in the program for two years. He dropped the weight they asked him to but I'm not sure that was a good thing for him. He just hasn't done much outside of a good second half vs TAM. Dominant DTs, especially in the SEC make their presence known often, especially in the big games. Thus far, IMO, KMac has been pretty much MIA.

TIFWIW but Jimmy Hyams was just on 104.5 the zone. He had several comments I found interesting.

1. Josh Smith has been battling a groin injury. Doubtful he will be a return man as some had speculated.

2. Said Richmond not as good as Richmond thought he was. Hasn't applied himself. Even put him in the same category as Blair.

3. Kongbo been a disappointment so far with 4 tackles on the year. Says he was unfairly hyped. Sees him as a DE only.

4. He doesn't believe the OL will be as healthy as some are saying. Still patchwork. Says Weisman and Hall are still iffy and Jones will have a club on his hand.

5. Same goes for the WR unit as a whole. Only four WR available. Jeff George isn't ready and they are thinking about pulling the redshirt off of Callaway.

6. DL as a whole, with the exception of Barnett, has been a disappointment. Even before McKenzie and O'Brien were lost. He really expected Tuttle to be dominant and he hasn't been.

He did say he expects UT to come out of the off week strong and that they should handle SC.

Richmond, George and Kongbo just need more time to develop. They aren't busts just yet.

Tuttle still hasn't fully recovered from his injury, nor has Phillips for that manner.

Depth at DT is and will be a concern the rest of the year. If Alexis wasn't in trouble, then he could be in football shape and put to use right now.

TIFWIW but Jimmy Hyams was just on 104.5 the zone. He had several comments I found interesting.

1. Josh Smith has been battling a groin injury. Doubtful he will be a return man as some had speculated.

2. Said Richmond not as good as Richmond thought he was. Hasn't applied himself. Even put him in the same category as Blair.

3. Kongbo been a disappointment so far with 4 tackles on the year. Says he was unfairly hyped. Sees him as a DE only.

4. He doesn't believe the OL will be as healthy as some are saying. Still patchwork. Says Weisman and Hall are still iffy and Jones will have a club on his hand.

5. Same goes for the WR unit as a whole. Only four WR available. Jeff George isn't ready and they are thinking about pulling the redshirt off of Callaway.

6. DL as a whole, with the exception of Barnett, has been a disappointment. Even before McKenzie and O'Brien were lost. He really expected Tuttle to be dominant and he hasn't been.

He did say he expects UT to come out of the off week strong and that they should handle SC.

On Richmond, I seem to recall some talk of his ranking being inflated and that many had cooled on him late in his recruitment. Based on what I've been able to see of his play, I can't say I disagree with the comparison to Blair.

As for Kongbo's hype, let's be real here. Kongbo is responsible for at least some of his own hype. He wasn't shy about pumping his abilities to folks with a mic and camera.

The OL simply isn't that talented IMO. Injuries are a factor, but even when healthy, they were unimpressive.

Said it before, but the WR's don't do much because they aren't given the opportunity with play calling plus the OL can't give Dobbs the time to make some of these throws. Given that the WR are more likely to be called upon to block than catch, I still think Byrd and Jennings need reps in the secondary. They'll be stars on defense while they're wasted on the offensive side of the ball. Any of our other WR's can block. Put Byrd and Jennings where they can really help this team.

The DL would be much better if we had more kids like o'brien sans the drug habit. Kid played with a motor and heart. If Mac, Tuttle and the others played with that same intensity, they'd be much better. Barnett being the exception.

Shoop needs to get some of these younger players into the games against our last 5 opponents. Bet we like what we see.

Certainly didn't help, but surely by now it shouldn't be an issue. He's been in the program for two years. He dropped the weight they asked him to but I'm not sure that was a good thing for him. He just hasn't done much outside of a good second half vs TAM. Dominant DTs, especially in the SEC make their presence known often, especially in the big games. Thus far, IMO, KMac has been pretty much MIA.

I wonder if him losing weight had something to do with it?

KMac lost weight because he needed to--he wasn't fit. You stay heavy you are breathing heavy after two plays and worthless. He's been a disappointment thus far....

Thats not my problem and I don't see what the issue is..I'm just telling u what I know..

and I'm telling you, as a family member, stop. don't ask the family member on the team about **** and then repeat it on a forum. And don't repeat stuff that is volunteered. Be yourself here, not the family member of so-n-so. it NEVER ends well.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes!! But I don't think Dobbs reads a defense I think he already knows who he's going throw it to befor the play malone and Jennings are his favorites But when this topic comes up I always refer to last years bowl game he ran at will,with no problems it opened up everything and kept the defense honest without loading the box that's when the OL struggles really bad kinda like LSU being one dimensional Dobbs is key to our problems being fixed I think and personally forcing Dobbs to be a pro style QB by staying in the pocket and not allowing him to run is hurting us he beats teams with his legs which opens up the run and the pass to where has time to throw accurately

I agree with what you are saying, but please use punctuation. Really just add some periods and commas randomly, and it would work, sort of,

I am horrible with grammar, so....... please.

KMac lost weight because he needed to--he wasn't fit. You stay heavy you are breathing heavy after two plays and worthless. He's been a disappointment thus far....

As you are, constantly. I agree with your statement though.

Some kids develop at a different rate than others. Richmond probably thought, as many kids do coming out of highschool, that you can just show up and be dominant. We he saw that wasn't the case he probably lost some motivation. I bet he comes around sooner rather than later.

Also, I wonder if Butch started him against Appy State to prove a point?

First, they are over 18, and don't view themselves as kids anymore. So, we really need to quit referring ti them as such, or they will never grow up.

Richmond has had a RS year to develop. He comes marching in here with a high rating. Sounds like he could find that missing motivation if someone gives him a well placed size 12.

and I'm telling you, as a family member, stop. don't ask the family member on the team about **** and then repeat it on a forum. And don't repeat stuff that is volunteered. Be yourself here, not the family member of so-n-so. it NEVER ends well.

What the hell did I reveal that is so obvious! You don't ever see me give out info about the program.. Just because I said my nephew plays behind Malone and callaway is not a slot Wr? Man get hell out of here..man let me get off on here before I say some ****...what game have you been watching lately?

What the hell did I reveal that is so obvious! You don't ever see me give out info about the program.. Just because I said my nephew plays behind Malone and callaway is not a slot Wr? Man get hell out of here..man let me get off on here before I say some ****...what game have you been watching lately?

So personally what do you suggest the fix should be or what the problem is,do you think bryd should be a CB and burn Calloways red shirt or no?

We should play Callaway. Also, Tuttle has delivered.

First, they are over 18, and don't view themselves as kids anymore. So, we really need to quit referring ti them as such, or they will never grow up.

Richmond has had a RS year to develop. He comes marching in here with a high rating. Sounds like he could find that missing motivation if someone gives him a well placed size 12.

Butch even wore a bow tie on national signing day for him lol

I think most of us were still trying to figure out how much beer is too much in our second year of college. You can be over 18 and still a kid.
KMac is playing well but playing like the sophomore he is, a little inconsistent. He will be excellent very soon with more experience and 2 legs .
They started Richmond in the early games for a reason and not because he was the best. I am guessing HS was easy for him having a physical advantage. He may not be able to evaluate himself, thinking he should be playing when he is not ready. Best way to reset his expectations is to get some video. I am guessing he is now renewing his efforts. I don't see him as a bust. He will find a starting spot on our line at some point.
Malone does need to catch it better. Past receiver coaches have resolved catching issues across the entire position group in a few weeks. Kippy Brown made them catch tennis balls. I don't understand why this problem persists.

As for who plays where. The coaches see these players every day. They know what they are good at, their speed, agility etc. While I may find it interesting to see a player in a different position, I wouldn't seriously question the coaches decision. To say the coach is stupid I would first want to be expert enough to debate the issue. I venture to say few here have enough knowledge and experience to match up with any of the coaches.

VN Store

Back