Trying to get some verification: is Butch really donating his bowl money?

Maybe not the right time to ask this but who exactly is the relief assistance going to? When I think of Gatlinburg I think of lots of vacation homes and rentals and businesses that hire mostly seasonal workers. It seems like a small group of people own most of Sevier county and I assume they are generally pretty well off and probably have plenty of insurance. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the area to understand the situation on the ground.

There are plenty of minimum wage working families with nothing now. No clothes, no school supplies, no food, and no hope for Christmas. Yes, there is plenty of need. Many good people are helping. Much of the devastation involves families at the Gatlinburg elementary school. Checking with them would be nice. Using this tragedy to ridicule the coaching staff is.......

Reactions: 8 people
Be the same as someone who makes 100k donating $2,400. Nice gesture to be sure, but they still have 98% of their money. And it would actually hurt more for the guy making 100 grand....Jones would still have 4.1 million in his pocket.

Don't be that guy KB. You're better than that.

Some will use this to bash Jones regardless if he knows about the rumor or not.

The number of "UT fans" who get their jollies out of trolling UT fans is ridiculous.

Reactions: 12 people
There are plenty of minimum wage working families with nothing now. No clothes, no school supplies, no food, and no hope for Christmas. Yes, there is plenty of need. Many good people are helping. Much of the devastation involves families at the Gatlinburg elementary school. Checking with them would be nice. Using this tragedy to ridicule the coaching staff is.......
How was what he said ridiculing anyone? He just asked a question.

Reactions: 1 person
More $$$$ envy of CBJ. All power 5 coaches make millions. Diss him if you dislike his coaching, not because of his salary. He 'owes' no one a donation just as you don't. It is a kindness not a requirement.

Reactions: 9 people
This is insane. Butch Jones is entitled to whatever his contract says. It's Dave Hart's fault for allowing it in the contract to begin with. We first need to get his butt out of there before he gives Butch anymore extensions. And Tennessee as a whole needs to stop agreeing to contracts that reward mediocrity in all aspects.

Reactions: 2 people
As a Gatlinburg local that would be amazing of him to do. However, at the same time I realize Butch doesn't have to a damn thing and if he don't I don't think many around here in the area would hold it against him.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe not the right time to ask this but who exactly is the relief assistance going to? When I think of Gatlinburg I think of lots of vacation homes and rentals and businesses that hire mostly seasonal workers. It seems like a small group of people own most of Sevier county and I assume they are generally pretty well off and probably have plenty of insurance. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the area to understand the situation on the ground.

While I understand where you're coming from, and I'll say you're right in saying a couple of families do own most of the town and they are pretty well off, there are definitely folks in need here. You're also right in your assumption that it's mostly vacation homes but there are folks that live here and struggle through the winter months as it is as it's our off season and people lay off workers and things like that, this just added to that struggle.

Please don't take this as me coming at you in a confrontational manner, I'm not. Just trying to explain the dynamic of the area a little better to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Next time you think of Gatlinburg, you might want to include the thousands of people who actually live there. The ones who lost everything and are living in motels and relief centers at this time. There are 4000 permanent residents that were directly or indirectly affected. As you said, you're not familiar with it. I've gone up there to help out and it is devastating to many of the locals.

Reactions: 5 people
It's pretty sorry for someone to make this up in an effort to pressure him to do it or look bad. I sure hope everyone calling for him to do it are donating the same percent of their salary.

Coonskin Cap on Twitter just stirs the pot - I am sure he has made a big donation

Butch very likely makes substantial donations to many causes. He doesn't necessarily have to publicize it to make him feel better about himself.

I'm pretty sure that Butch is Catholic. Catholic Charities and Ladies of Charity are just two Catholic organizations in Knoxville that do significant work. I'd reckon that Butch helps them out.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch very likely makes substantial donations to many causes. He doesn't necessarily have to publicize it to make him feel better about himself.

I'm pretty sure that Butch is Catholic. Catholic Charities and Ladies of Charity are just two Catholic organizations in Knoxville that do significant work. I'd reckon that Butch helps them out.

No doubt. Absolutely no question. He likely lives a middle class lifestyle.

Hearing he is donating all $100,000 of his bowl bonus to Gatlinburg victims

You can argue that he may not be a very good coach, but hes a dang good guy

Reactions: 5 people
While reading one of the many websites last week when the fire in sevier co. still hadn't been extinguished,....Sat. down south, Bleacher Report, etc.... I can't recall exactly, this statement was made, The Music City Bowl management, executives have decided that the entire net profit derived from the game will be donated to the relief effort that pertains to the fire in Gatlinburg area. That's all the money the Bowl has after each participating school recieves their share and the associated costs of putting on the game are paid. This statement was made even before the teams were selected. Then this statement: Officials at the university of tennessee have publicly stated that if the Volunteers recieve an invitation to appear in Nashville in the Gaylord Music City Bowl that the university will donate it's entire payout, less associated expenses, to the relief effort also. I'm surprised to this point that no one on VN has mentioned this. I don't recall CBJ being mentioned in the article and if I somehow come across the article again I'll follow up with another post. I did read the % of the salary, (bonus), as it applied to coach Shoop. Had UT received a Sugar Bowl bid his bonus was 13 % and for lesser bowl (other than big 6), the % goes down to somewhere around 7-8%. I'm sure all the UT coaches have similiar bonuses stated in their contracts also. :twocents:

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back