Mercedes Russell returning next year!

Glad to hear this! Good for Mercedes and good for the LVs.

I wonder if that Louisville loss might have changed DD's perspective, too. I'm sure she wants to leave on a good note and not be remembered for that last bad game... or going one and done in the SECT. She could still lead the LVs to a championship run and be remembered as one of the great ones.

Reactions: 4 people
please practice the sky hook till you can hit it blindfolded, ty in advance! :)

You mean jumphookshot...Mercedes turns her entire body into her jump-hook. She goes up like a jump-hook but finishes it like a jump-shot... The body should be perpendicular on the release.

For it to become a skyhook, it has to leave her hands at the peak of its elevation and leave the hand like a toss, not a shot.

Come on Cedes, lets get this learned

Reactions: 2 people
I have though both would be back and still do!!! If I was MR I would watch game film on McCowan and the big girl from Washington who is less talented but the most aggressive center in the game.

I agree Mercedes needs to learn that biggest/heaviest/widest/tallest ,,ain't always the baddest.
Its the one who takes the fight to the other one, that usually wins the paint battles.

A mentality of "If you come into my space it is to fight me",,instead of,,"If you push me out I will fight to get back in"

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I think diamond will stay, she has mention the possibility of being the #1 pick this year but she also said that college basketball is the biggest stage for women basketball. She will have better supporting cast next year & I don't think she will won't to leave with the horrible ending to the season this year. I don't think holly would know how to coach all the talent, she will make way too many substitutions trying to keep all the players happy.

Reactions: 3 people
Little pad drills with Dean won't cut it. She needs a real coach with a big bodied scout player to really push her to her greatest ability.

I think diamond will stay, she has mention the possibility of being the #1 pick this year but she also said that college basketball is the biggest stage for women basketball. She will have better supporting cast next year & I don't think she will won't to leave with the horrible ending to the season this year. I don't think holly would know how to coach all the talent, she will make way too many substitutions trying to keep all the players happy.

Omg here we go....of course Holly will be substituting next year with all the talent she'll have at her disposal. Now if a player doesn't give effort she can finally sit them down, without a significant drop off in talent. She couldn't do that this year so next year EXPECT SUBSTITUTIONS people!

Thank you Mercedes from the bottom of our hearts.
You've worked hard to overcome the foot thing - now it's time to have some fun.

A true VFL.

Reactions: 4 people
Mercedes
Cheredine
Kasi
Kamara

Now Mercedes don't have to worry about fouling out she can play defense with gusto and keep her hands up at all times. Ready to swat shots with authority!

One thing I'm begging of her. Stay in the post area. Don't roam out on the perimeter unless a set play is designed but I'm not going to hold my breath because you know who is coaching.

Thanks Mercedes and :good!: Luck!

GOLadyVols!:)

Maybe this time around she will improve her presence both defensively and on offense around the basket. This year she looked soft on defense without being in foul trouble. Surely she is capable. We will see. Get tough girl!

Some may not think the "more" good news will be good. But I sure do!

Think of Dd's past year. She played better, more.

She did grow.

Is she ready for the WNBA. Of course.

... I just think she is ready for the right coaching
Be it here, or there.

With the class coming in, she feels a valid shot.
Now, they have to find a person within the ranks, as strong as she is.

We're in a push button society,,Someone has to Push the right buttons

Mercedes
Cheredine
Kasi
Kamara

Now Mercedes don't have to worry about fouling out she can play defense with gusto and keep her hands up at all times. Ready to swat shots with authority!

One thing I'm begging of her. Stay in the post area. Don't roam out on the perimeter unless a set play is designed but I'm not going to hold my breath because you know who is coaching.

Thanks Mercedes and :good!: Luck!

GOLadyVols!:)
It's part of a motion offense, she has to pull away from the basket to set screens and roll at times.

On defense the only time Cedes roamed outside was when the opposing big had range.

Have you actually ever played the game of basketball?

Good news. However, if Diamond does not return, Westbrook and Davis need to be ready to go as reliable scorers from day one. Our three point shooting is a point of concern for me.

Holly has shown that she cannot implement a system that masks Dunbar/Middleton's weaknesses and maximizes their strengths. I also do not remember Te'a being the best three point threat. If the incoming freshman guards cannot create their own shot and shoot the three ball exceptionally well, we are going to have another season of terrible guard play. If DD returns, I'll be a little less concerned because she draws a lot of attention.

Think of Dd's past year. She played better, more.

She did grow.

Is she ready for the WNBA. Of course.

... I just think she is ready for the right coaching
Be it here, or there.

With the class coming in, she feels a valid shot.
Now, they have to find a person within the ranks, as strong as she is.

We're in a push button society,,Someone has to Push the right buttons

I think she's considering both aspects. You have all this talent coming in, but it's the coaching that will put EVERY player in position to succeed in order to achieve the bigger goal.

Glad to hear this! Good for Mercedes and good for the LVs.

I wonder if that Louisville loss might have changed DD's perspective, too. I'm sure she wants to leave on a good note and not be remembered for that last bad game... or going one and done in the SECT. She could still lead the LVs to a championship run and be remembered as one of the great ones.

I would be surprised if DD comes back. IMO, "leave on a good note", would be (for her) if she went to the WNBA. How many "bad games" have there been in her two years here. I just don't believe she enjoyed her tenure here as a LadyVol, this is her way out.

Reactions: 1 person
I have though both would be back and still do!!! If I was MR I would watch game film on McCowan and the big girl from Washington who is less talented but the most aggressive center in the game.

Why would you want Mercedes watch "the big girl from Washington who is less talented"?

You may want to go to the NCAA.com Stats page and look up both players career stats and see which of the two players is "less talented".

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1

Last edited:
It's part of a motion offense, she has to pull away from the basket to set screens and roll at times.

On defense the only time Cedes roamed outside was when the opposing big had range.

Have you actually ever played the game of basketball?

Holly is a terrible coach.

For allowing the opposition to lure Cedes out from the paint. If you knew anything about basketball you would understand what that creates.

I don't think you watched any of those 26 losses from the past two seasons? But carry on with your love for Holly. I imagine she appreciates you when she cashes that big ole check of hers for a job well done. :crazy:

good for her and the Lady Vols...next year could be very special...:crossfingers:

GO LADY VOLS!

Why would you want Mercedes watch "the big girl from Washington who is less talented"?

You may want to go to the NCAA.com Stats page and look up both players career stats and see which of the two players is "less talented".

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1

I did not say the big girl was more talented but she sure as hell moves people out of the way so she can shoot and rebound!!!!
Maybe a reading class would help you more than NCAA stats!

Holly is a terrible coach.

For allowing the opposition to lure Cedes out from the paint. If you knew anything about basketball you would understand what that creates.

I don't think you watched any of those 26 losses from the past two seasons? But carry on with your love for Holly. I imagine she appreciates you when she cashes that big ole check of hers for a job well done. :crazy:

so true, way over optimistic posts in this thread. :no: hope they are right and we are wrong.

Very glad she is coming back she want have to play the minutes she played this year and we'll probably see more intensity for that reason alone. This will give KK time to adjust to the game and she can learn from Mercedes. If you look at Mercedes offensive stats they are very good where she needs improvement is defensively.

VN Store

Back