When will a QB seperate himself from the pack?

Dormady is your quarterback. Coaches keep the "competition" going as long as possible to keep the starter hungry and focused. Happens all over the place. And Dormady remains the QB until his performance demands a change, and hopefully for UT fans, that will be never.

Probably been that since the spring. Jones repeatedly says "consistent " when asked about QD. In Jones-speak there's no greater compliment.

Reactions: 2 people
They will both play until one looks shaky. Its so close it will take a few bad ingame decisions from one or the other.

If I gambled I would bet against 2 playing unless the first one flops or is injured. The competition did not appear to be all that close leaving spring. QD is the man unless JG has dramatically closed the gap.

Reactions: 1 person
No, if QD is playing well enough to have the back-up come in for "mop up duty" v GT, he starts game two.

You don't need gimmicks to beat Florida, see last year. You'll end up messing your own team up by trying to mess up the other team.

Disagree, this season's first 2 games amount to "pre-season" This is the time to get as many meaninful reps for our QB's as possible! Not only them but for the 2 and 3 deep for the whole team. We should be locked,loaded,fresh and fierce going to UF!

Problem is that Butch Jones desperately wants Jarrett Guarantano to be the starter, but he knows Quinten Dormady will transfer. The HBC normally gets what he wants. Quinten Dormady is the better QB in my opinion.........Quinten would be much better off to transfer to a school where can play and not ride the bench! I hate it for Quinten........
What? Wait a minute run that by me again. I feel dumber is that normal to feel that way?

Last edited:
If I gambled I would bet against 2 playing unless the first one flops or is injured. The competition did not appear to be all that close leaving spring. QD is the man unless JG has dramatically closed the gap.

The only large gap is the one made up by some fans like you. The coaches and media all say its close. The spring they looked even. The only time we really saw them was the Spring game where JG looked just as good as Dormady. I know people go crazy because QD didn't have an incompletion. JG looked great too and only had one. They are neck and neck no matter what some fans want to manufacture in their heads. They will both play. QD will start. One has the talent edge and one has the experience edge. It is close.

Butch Jones named the starter QD in the presser this week, he just didn't realize it.

Maybe I missed something, sorry if I did.
But if you are talking about Jones saying "with JG out, Will McBride got to work solely with the number twos" that's not naming a starter, whatsoever.
JG and QD have been splitting reps with the 1's and 2's, it's been in almost every practice report. But with JG out, they're not going to give the 3rd string QB 1st team reps.
Therefore, as Jones said, with JG out, McBride got to work with the 2nd team and QD with the 1st. Reading anything other than that into it, is hearing what you want to hear.

Wts, I'm 95% confident that Dormady will be the starter.

Repeatedly Coach Jones has stated his belief in the qb as the "CEO" of the offense/team. That leads me to speculate that he's looking for 'the man' not the men for the job. Having said that, there is a motivation (albeit a bit shady) to extend the competition to minimize transfer by the backup. My personal opinion is that, while JG is a better overall 'fit' for the offense, QD will elevate the passing game to an extent he is 'the man' for the job.

As always, that's my opinion. Take it or leave it. Go Vols!

The only large gap is the one made up by some fans like you. The coaches and media all say its close. The spring they looked even. The only time we really saw them was the Spring game where JG looked just as good as Dormady. I know people go crazy because QD didn't have an incompletion. JG looked great too and only had one. They are neck and neck no matter what some fans want to manufacture in their heads. They will both play. QD will start. One has the talent edge and one has the experience edge. It is close.
The talent edge is the manufactured part.

The reason some of us recognize that Dormady was ahead wasn't the stats. It was how much of the O they gave him to run compared to JG and how he managed it. They haven't given a lot of clues this fall through the reports but the ones they have favor Dormady. Subtle things like who goes out first with the ones most of the time.

I think one already has.For the sake of not having the other transfer, and have a true freshman or walk-on for a back up, they'll spin this 2 qb narrative for a while. JMO

They tossed around the idea of a 2 QB system because they have 2 great QB's but I doubt they actually try it. We will have 3 consecutive starting QBs taken in the NFL Draft.

When was the last time our starting QB's have been drafted into the nfl consecutively when their time was up at UT?

That is an opinion. I cannot see into the future but I have high hopes.

6 QBs in a row drafted from 1994-2010

Shuler, Manning, Martin, Clausen, Ainge, Crompton

Dormady is your boy. I think most sane people see this. For one, he's a damn good QB from what I've seen of him. Stays very calm. He seems like a bit of a stoic, personality wise anyway. He knows the play book inside and out.

JG, he's going to be worked in. Probably play our cupcake games for us. Mop up time. Etc. He is mature and smart enough to know he has a good situation here at Tennessee. He isn't going anywhere. No worries. He's said so himself.

I think Dobbs being drafted and getting preseason reps with the Steelers helps too. It shows these guys they are at a program and a system that can put a QB into the NFL. That's a pretty big plus for QBs.

Am not arguing that QD won't get the first snap of the first start ... but ... nobody, not even the coaches, has yet seen what JG can/will do in a college game. I think they will give him some chances early on, and he might just catch fire and never look back. We don't really know.

On that note, here is a tid-bit for y'all ... http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/08/how_many_opposing_qbs_in_2017.html#incart_river_index

It always amazes me how some folks so often equate unknown with must be bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
The QB seperation between the two may have been tonight. Reports coming out of scrimmage QD hurt his wrist. Nobody has said how bad.

Last edited:
In my opinion QD has locked down the #1. JG will have a small set of special plays he runs 2-4 possessions per game. Change of pace wildcat type with more option runs, reverses etc. I see Berry involved. They will force the opposition to wast time practicing to defend it.

The QB seperation between the two may have been tonight. Reports coming out of scrimmage QD hurt his wrist. Nobody has said how bad.

Surely the QB's weren't live. I can't imagine allowing him to be hit and if he takes off running, the whistle should be blowing long before he can even get up enough juice to stumble and fall.

VN Store

Back