When will a QB seperate himself from the pack?

Surely the QB's weren't live. I can't imagine allowing him to be hit and if he takes off running, the whistle should be blowing long before he can even get up enough juice to stumble and fall.

Eh. I dunno. I know In Clemsons spring game my wife and I went to, And I think their recent scrimmage--from what my brother in law told me...they had their #1 QB out there taking hard licks. It actually blew my mind they were allowing full tackle etc. Dabo must feel pretty damn comfortable this season is all I know.

wouldn't doubt seeing both QB's play...QD to start and JG to come in and run some tricky stuff...keep GT on their heels...gonna be good...:thumbsup:...:salute:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
I don't see Butch going past game 1 or at the very latest game 2 with a 2 QB system. It seems like he is just waiting for an excuse to start JG and it be his job permanently. I think it gets decided by time the GA Tech Game is over or Indiana St at the very latest. He doesn't wanna go into SEC play with a 2 QB System. I really think Dormady could be one of the better SEC QB's this year as could JG. JG would be the more flashy and make more ESPN highlights but until he learns to take better care of the ball he will also be the QB that could lose you a game with a head scratching turnover. But once it fully clicks for him we will have a QB that everyone loves to watch and one that keeps defensive coach's up late. Just a matter of when that lightbulb comes on if it hasn't already. I wouldn't be shocked to see Dormady start vs GA Tech and JG finish it. JMO but like I said it seems like Butch is just waiting and looking for a reason to turn the reins over to Jarrett. But it's a good situation to have they could both be starters at many other schools. I would bet almost anything the 2 QB system was a motivational tool for both QB's and a very short lived motivational tool at that.

Not sure how you can "label" JG at all. Until we see him in other than practice, its not fair to say he doesn't take care of the ball or that he doesn't click until he gets to play. I would be surprised if no 1 settles out much before game 4. Not saying Dormany won't start, just that no 1 could take that long.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think there is much doubt that a healthy QD will start game 1 but I think the competition is far from over until atleast the Indiana State game!

I don't see Butch going past game 1 or at the very latest game 2 with a 2 QB system. It seems like he is just waiting for an excuse to start JG and it be his job permanently. I think it gets decided by time the GA Tech Game is over or Indiana St at the very latest. He doesn't wanna go into SEC play with a 2 QB System. I really think Dormady could be one of the better SEC QB's this year as could JG. JG would be the more flashy and make more ESPN highlights but until he learns to take better care of the ball he will also be the QB that could lose you a game with a head scratching turnover. But once it fully clicks for him we will have a QB that everyone loves to watch and one that keeps defensive coach's up late. Just a matter of when that lightbulb comes on if it hasn't already. I wouldn't be shocked to see Dormady start vs GA Tech and JG finish it. JMO but like I said it seems like Butch is just waiting and looking for a reason to turn the reins over to Jarrett. But it's a good situation to have they could both be starters at many other schools. I would bet almost anything the 2 QB system was a motivational tool for both QB's and a very short lived motivational tool at that.

If Butch is really waiting for an "excuse" to start JG, he should leave now. If he wants to play JG, he needs to start him vs GT. Because we technically have two seasons this year, one is non conference and the other is SEC play. Better to let JG learn vs non conference teams that don't matter and be ready for SEC play than not. But then again, Butch challenges Dooley with strategy and coaching ability so is anyone really surprised?

He hasn't taken one snap in a game. Where did this assessment come from? The Spring game? I don't think he turned it over then either. Chico just said the other day that the light is on for Broadway Jay.

Reactions: 2 people
Eh. I dunno. I know In Clemsons spring game my wife and I went to, And I think their recent scrimmage--from what my brother in law told me...they had their #1 QB out there taking hard licks. It actually blew my mind they were allowing full tackle etc. Dabo must feel pretty damn comfortable this season is all I know.

Could be Dabo WANTS the "#1" to get hurt so he can play the other two freshmen.

I don't see Butch announcing the starter until Thursday of game week at the earliest. Keeping both happy and interested.

Problem is that Butch Jones desperately wants Jarrett Guarantano to be the starter, but he knows Quinten Dormady will transfer. The HBC normally gets what he wants. Quinten Dormady is the better QB in my opinion.........Quinten would be much better off to transfer to a school where can play and not ride the bench! I hate it for Quinten........

You are absolutely right and it's not hard to figure out what he wants in a perfect world. Especially with JG's Dad and Butch being as close as they are. I think both will be very good College QB's and potentially good at the next level. JG is the better overall fit for the offense but QD could have us being a very potent offense too with his accuracy and decision making. I still think Dormady starts but will bet he has a short leash and if JG comes in and the offense clicks then I think the decision is made then. I'm not 100% sure Jarrett is fully ready yet but the Coach's know more and see a lot more than us so what fans,media etc thinks is irrelevant. But I do agree and I posted about this yesterday that I think Butch just needs a reason and excuse to start JG. I think Dormady may start the season but JG finishes it and that probably changes very early in the season.If they are even in the competition they always say go with the younger guy especially if he has a bigger upside. There will probably be more mistakes early on by JG but the reward outweighs risk. Jarrett is definitely the more personable and more vocal. But back to mistakes hell Josh had more mistakes by a SR QB who had been a 3 yr starter than the majority of guys with his experience.He was fortunate to get a lot of his fumbles back last year and had atleast 7-10 more it's that were dropped or knocked away by the receivers. But mistakes are gonna happen especially with a young QB and with guys with little to no playing experience.

They tossed around the idea of a 2 QB system because they have 2 great QB's but I doubt they actually try it. We will have 3 consecutive starting QBs taken in the NFL Draft.

When was the last time our starting QB's have been drafted into the nfl consecutively when their time was up at UT?

That is an opinion. I cannot see into the future but I have high hopes.

Shuler,Manning,Tee Martin is last I can remember.

Not sure how you can "label" JG at all. Until we see him in other than practice, its not fair to say he doesn't take care of the ball or that he doesn't click until he gets to play. I would be surprised if no 1 settles out much before game 4. Not saying Dormany won't start, just that no 1 could take that long.

Well the Coach's have said that about him needed to protect the ball better and that's what I based the comment off of. I really don't see Butch prolonging the QB battle into game 4 or into SEC play but I guess it depends on how well each performs in games. Right now I trust Dormady more not lose us games but at this point I don't trust either to win us games yet because neither has. I think Dormady is the starter but for his long is the real question. Both have great potential and no doubt are the best pure passers that we've had since Bray.

If Butch is really waiting for an "excuse" to start JG, he should leave now. If he wants to play JG, he needs to start him vs GT. Because we technically have two seasons this year, one is non conference and the other is SEC play. Better to let JG learn vs non conference teams that don't matter and be ready for SEC play than not. But then again, Butch challenges Dooley with strategy and coaching ability so is anyone really surprised?

I absolutely agree with you. Butch has done an amazing job turning us around and getting real SEC type players here and had had to work at reestablishing highschool coach's relationships that Dooley burned bridges with. And he did show me a lot this off season by bringing in established coach's that are SEC and Championship caliber for the most part. Just hate it took him this long to realize the majority of the Coach's he's had either weren't developing the players, weren't recruiting well and many had no business coaching at a school like TN. And Butch had to spend time babysitting and having zero trust in many of them. But now he's brought in guys he trusts to do their jobs and let's him focus on doing his. I'm not convinced Butch can get us past mediocrity, win the SEC or beat our biggest rivals on a consistent basis or will we have to worry about who and how many games he is gonna lose that he shouldn't every year. Last year didn't exactly instill confidence with losses to Vandy,SCe, A'M and a close call to Appy St. Hell we can go 9-4 every year but going 5-0 outside of the SEC and 4-4 in conference isn't gonna get us more elite plyers and better bowl. Biggest improvement as far as game day is he has gotta start winning SEC Games more. Sorry far he is 14-18 in the Conf and only 9-7 the last 2 years where we won 9 games both years. He is 8-8 at home vs SEC and 6-10 on the Road in the conference. And throw in 2-2 vs Mizzou,2-2 vs Vandy,1-3 vs Flor,2-2 vs GA,4-0 vs UK,3-1 vs Scarol,0-4 vs Ala and 0-8 vs SEC West. So that has Butch 7-1 vs UK and SCe and 7-17 vs the rest of the SEC. There's really no excuse to not be atleast 5-3 in the SEC at worst and on bad years should be 8-4 overall.

He hasn't taken one snap in a game. Where did this assessment come from? The Spring game? I don't think he turned it over then either. Chico just said the other day that the light is on for Broadway Jay.

It's called listening to the Coach's say he has to learn to protect the ball better. I doubt they would say that if that wasn't something he's struggled with at times. And right now that's all any of us can go off of is what the Coach's tell us. I hope Jarrett starts game 1 and starts until he graduates. I think he has the tools to make us a potent offense. But also as we saw last year against A'M,SCe Vandy that turnovers will kill you and cost us games. I really hope the light stays on for JG and nobody including the Coach's know how he will be when he steps on the field in a real game. I think he could be one of those that is even better on game days than practice like a lot of guys are. I can't wait to find out.

Am not arguing that QD won't get the first snap of the first start ... but ... nobody, not even the coaches, has yet seen what JG can/will do in a college game. I think they will give him some chances early on, and he might just catch fire and never look back. We don't really know.
Has anyone seen what Dormady can do? We're all excited about JG's potential. My hope is that they choose the right guy.

But... have you seen Jones do what you describe above? I haven't even going back to his previous two jobs. His pattern seems to be to decide then give the starter full support and a reasonably long leash.

My guess at the logic would be that if he did what you describe above, it would undermine confidence and potentially create a QB controversy on the team.

I think too many of you are discounting QD's talent. It isn't all physical. Some of the most important attributes a QB brings to the game are issues of head and heart.

Conventional thinking says one or the other will step forward and seize the opportunity. It is rare but not unheard of for a two QB system to work. Who knows? By the end of the year, McBride or Seth Washington could be our starter. I hope whoever give us the best chance to win gets it, and I am behind all of them. Corny? Probably. DIGAF? Nope!

For our defenses sake I like we are playing GT the first week to give them a little more time to prep for their offense. However, GT likes to control the clock and will limit our offenses snaps. I really don't like the idea of having a two QB system in this game considering part of their game plan is to keep the opponents offense off the field to keep them from getting in a rhythm. Throw the fact that we will be using two different QB's into the mix and that doesn't bode well for either QB stepping up but does lend its hand to one giving it away. I'd much rather one win the starting job out right prior to this game. If not I am guessing both will see the field again the following week and both will do good against a week opponent. Week 3 one will separate themselves. IMO and I personally think it will be Dormady but really don't care as long as one does great and makes it clear cut instead of the other one just giving it away.

When he talked about JG missing practice on Friday and then saying it gave Will McBride a great opportunity to take second team reps in his absence....imo.

What that means is that McBride is not challenging the other two as a starter - so yes he would only take second team reps.

I don't think there is much doubt that a healthy QD will start game 1 but I think the competition is far from over until atleast the Indiana State game!

If he starts game one, does that qualify as "meaningful snaps"? :wink2:

VN Store

Back