Jayson Swain on Finebaum

I've never heard Swain say anything not true about UT, he doesn't pump sunshine, but doesn't over hype either. I have listened to him for years. The Man Bleeds Orange. He also isn't just gonna come out and talk bad all the time about a sitting coach. If not good for him, his show, or the School he loves. Swain has the right to say the things he does he went to the school, played there, unlike 99% of the knoxville media. As far as Mike G goes he is one of the most back and forth UT Media Members there is. one day he reports how great UT is then he is calling out how Terrible the coaches players are and then 180's again. Griffith reports for clicks. Swain does go to some practices and is around the program he knows whats going on unlike most others...

Reactions: 3 people
His appearance was not trying to be positive. He was there to represent the Fire Butch crowd.

That's a positive in many peoples opinion. Its all perspective. Its like the old saying goes,

"One man's trash can is anothers man's cheap motivational gimmick."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Jayson Swain going on Finebaum at 515 to discuss Vols Football. Swain is going all in on the start JG train. Should be interesting to see what he says to PAWLL

Just listened to the start of the interview.

Swain is as big of a dumbass as the fahr Butch crowd on here.

He starts off mentioning the starters Florida was missing. So their starters being out hurt them but ours being out is just excuse making? And on top of that at least ours were out due to injury and not because of being accused of criminal actions.

Then he keeps harping on "its year five" . No it's the third game of year five J. Someone who has been around football as long as you should know there are at least 9 more games this season.

It seems to me some people want to derail this season for the players and show their intent by running down the coach and program at every turn. I say eff you to all of them. Including Jason Swain.

If this was the off season it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But for these athletes to have to deal with the distractions caused by Swain and his ilk says far more about them than the coaching staff.

He starts off mentioning the starters Florida was missing. So their starters being out hurt them but ours being out is just excuse making? And on top of that at least ours were out due to injury and not because of being accused of criminal actions.

Then he keeps harping on "its year five" . No it's the third game of year five J. Someone who has been around football as long as you should know there are at least 9 more games this season.

It seems to me some people want to derail this season for the players and show their intent by running down the coach and program at every turn. I say eff you to all of them. Including Jason Swain.

If this was the off season it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But for these athletes to have to deal with the distractions caused by Swain and his ilk says far more about them than the coaching staff.

So, you agree its year 5 then. Sounded like you were saying it wasn't for a second there.

Its not year 5 ?!?!!!! Its the third game of year 5.

Well then...its still year 5.

If its not year 5 then how in the hell is Butch 1-4 against Florida?

Btw at some point you'll have take the side of the VFLs. You may be against them now, in favor of Butch. But Haynesworth, Tim Priest, Jayson Swain, Peyton Manning, they all know good football when they see it.

lol he blocked me on twitter when i reminded him he lost to Vandy

You have got to be kidding me?

Ohhhh the irony! Lol

So he can dish it out but can't take it?!? I may call in and ask him about that almighty 2005 season this morning and see if he hangs up on me.

Kudos to you sir! :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person

It is really sad that what is an acceptable argument for why an opponent should be beatable is bashed as an excuse for Tennessee.

Some folks needs to take a long look at their argument and realize just how much of a NON FAN they look like.

Swain may have played football for Tennessee but he absolutely does NOT have the best interest of the team at heart.

Correct but when your reporting fake news and even doubling down on said fake news you should expect any blow back you get.

He reported news and in this case "fake" news for the almighty clicks.

True. He lost credibility at that point. He also more than likely lost trust from some who might have told him things.

Reverse the dialogue, have CBJ spread "fake news" about Swain. The outcry would be insane. It should work both ways if we live in a society of fairness - but it doesn't because some folks just don't care about that.

Actually he lost two, he just found a GT team that found away to snatch defeat from victory. I wouldnt say Butch coached winning football against GT. Sometime you lose games that you coach winning football. Sometimes you win games that you have no business winning.
Conclusion, you can't always measure the QUALITY of coaching on the outcome.
However, over the season the truth will come to the surface. If the coaching (game planning, decision making, etc) we've seen so far continues, Butch will not beat a tram of significance.

What you are saying could be extrapolated to the 98' NC team. They won 3 games (Syracuse 4th down PI, UF game & Ark fumble) that year by your measure they had no business winning. I'm not giving up the Natty

True. He lost credibility at that point. He also more than likely lost trust from some who might have told him things.

Reverse the dialogue, have CBJ spread "fake news" about Swain. The outcry would be insane. It should work both ways if we live in a society of fairness - but it doesn't because some folks just don't care about that.
He also lost any credentials he had (practice, interviews ect.) and he now has a grudge. He has to ride out his negativity now. Basically he made his bed, now he gets to sleep in it.

Reactions: 2 people
This kind of stuff makes my blood boil a little bit. I'd like to see Swain try to run a football program like the one at the University of Tennessee. I'm not saying you can't make criticisms if you haven't run a program like this, but it should at least make you a little bit more cautious in your statements. My guess is that if he had an opportunity to take the helm himself, he would learn very quickly to be slower to speak.

He couldn't be any worse.

Yeah. He really could be MUCH worse. Jones for all his flaws simply doesn't make a habit of throwing players under the bus. However he has made multiple references to the need for fewer missed assignments "on the outside". So you have WR's making too many mistakes... and you think it is a good idea to compound that with a QB who is likely to commit A LOT more mistakes than Dormady?

Jones even said that one of QD's problems is that he tries to compensate for the mistakes of WR's. He wants him to just do HIS job.

You're right. It takes a superstar to be as bad as QD vs. Florida. JG is every bit the equal. No chance he would've played any worse.

You are better than that. You've been around long enough to see a TEAM struggle... and not just blame everything on the QB. With a WR corps making as many mistakes as this one and Jack Jones getting whipped as often as he is... there's an almost certainty that JG would have done worse.

Butch has lost too many games on basic common sense. I think that's what Swain is getting at. The guy is not smart enough to take this program to the next level. He makes too many stupid decisions and he doesn't know how to manage a game. Ex: if you get down too the 1 yard line and you don't like the plays being ran call timeout! Talk to you're OC. Things that everybody sees on the outside are oblivious to him.

Awesome point. They are self-fulfilling prophecies, i had a psych professor who just loved to talk about the power and danger of self-fulfilling prophecies.

I really hate the "1-0 every week" mentality, its like an overwhelmed boss who "just wants to get through the day, every day." This lack of long term goals and strategies will tend to make every day overwhelming and stressful, and you'll never get over that hump, its just bad management, period.

Bad management but I'm more worried about the leadership if he's giving the same message to the team. He preaches "respect the opponent". The winners I've been associated with and especially coaches expected to beat the opponent and allowed nothing but absolute confidence. When I played years ago, we were 16-2 in conference and 32-5 (4 of those losses were to teams that won state championships) overall in 3 years with a state title. We were a 1A school playing in 2A. I would wager we almost never had the best players. But our coach never let us believe that we were going to do anything but beat every team we played. We spent most practices working on our weaknesses but more on the opponent's weaknesses and how to take advantage of them.

Never take an opponent lightly but you can "respect" an opponent too much. I think Jones has a tendency to overestimate opponents including UF this year.

Soooooo why do you go out of your way on every single thread to tell us how much better Dormady is than Guarantano?
I can only say what is reliably reported and what the coaches believe based on their actions. I have seen as much of them side by side as you have. But it is VERY obvious that the staff doesn't trust JG. I'm sure they wouldn't mind having more mobility at QB.

I also do not think most of you are fair with your criticisms of QD... and would argue the same if you were doing it to JG. The problems start with the inexperience of the WR's. Dormady isn't playing perfect by any stretch but he's made to look much worse by receivers who miss their reads and assignments. It is even worse when you expect a WR to complete a route like he has in practice... and he leaves you hanging by just giving up on the route.

There were A LOT of plays that could have changed that game. But none is any bigger than the pick 6. Most here want to lay that at Dormady's feet. That's a VERY shallow view of it. Go back and watch. QD throws as he's being hit. He throws high which hopefully he'll learn to take a hit and compensate on the throw. It was a tough try for MC... but the ball went right between his hands. Worst cast he should have knocked it down.

There are three mistakes on the play but the worst one was by the player who should be benched in favor of a back up we have seen perform. The primary failure on that play was #66 just flat getting whipped to allow pressure up the middle.. Watch the play. He gets abused. You CANNOT have a good passing game when opponents get consistent pressure up the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m9m2z2wSkA

Go back and look at the first pick, same guy gets trucked forcing QD to throw off his back foot. That's an OL that no one but me seems to be talking about. He was just flat out beaten on two critical plays... that could have been good plays with more time.

If it is time to change the starting line up... you have to start with #66.

He also had 2 or 3 procedure penalties in that game.

It’s actually a little weird how much you post ab how much better Dormady or how you defend Dormady to the death.
You haven't seen all of my posts. Dormady is the choice of the coaches who have evaluated them for 8 months side by side. According to LWSVOL, the competition wasn't close. He's nowhere near as responsible for every problem as you folks try to suggest. I've pointed out many mistakes on his part as well. If you need me to rehash them, I will. I defend what I believe in. If it were JG starting and everyone clamoring for his back up... I'd do the same.

The reason I seem to post so much... is that so many people repeat the same shallow and I believe false narrative that QD is playing awful and causing the O's problems. When people quit unfairly attacking him... I'll stop posting about it.

Last edited:
That's a positive in many peoples opinion. Its all perspective. Its like the old saying goes,

"One man's trash can is anothers man's cheap motivational gimmick."

I hear you. No one happy with the outcome of FL game and all of us wish we had more & better team success.

The difference is fans don't have the authority or obligation to fire a coach. Sooo, what you get from smearing someone on social media is just negative. Misery loves company. It's not helping the team in any stretch of the imagination.

Negative and clever putdowns just bring down the program as a whole. Coaches see it, yes. But players see it. Recruits see it. Other TN fans see it. Other schools see it. Media sees it. Believe me or not, but it just brings more negative.

If your mom was fat and ugly, does it matter? Would you go on twitter and make fat jokes about her? Do you think it makes you look better to your friends if you acknowledge her fatness? Does it help her lose weight? Hell no.

Coaches and players are like family to me while they're here. I don't see the point of turning on them.

I've never heard Swain say anything not true about UT, he doesn't pump sunshine, but doesn't over hype either. I have listened to him for years. The Man Bleeds Orange. He also isn't just gonna come out and talk bad all the time about a sitting coach. If not good for him, his show, or the School he loves. Swain has the right to say the things he does he went to the school, played there, unlike 99% of the knoxville media. As far as Mike G goes he is one of the most back and forth UT Media Members there is. one day he reports how great UT is then he is calling out how Terrible the coaches players are and then 180's again. Griffith reports for clicks. Swain does go to some practices and is around the program he knows whats going on unlike most others...

Agree except I think he lost practice privileges when he misreported then doubled down on a fake news story about Butch hitting a player.

Also, his comments had very little depth. Just kept saying Year 5. He was there to represent the Fire Butch crowd. That is how he got on the show to start with. And it just fueled the negative. Made fun of the team for celebrating bowl wins. All teams celebrate bowl wins. That's why they have bowls.

He seems to act smug like they won all this hardware while he was a player. One time they won the East in four years. Got drilled in the championship game. So, were the other years a disgrace? Is he embarrassed by them?

Football is about wins. But it is also about a lot of other things. Otherwise, only a couple of teams would find any happiness in any given year.

Soooooo why do you go out of your way on every single thread to tell us how much better Dormady is than Guarantano? It’s actually a little weird how much you post ab how much better Dormady or how you defend Dormady to the death.

Oh, as for who starts.... I just want them to be decisive if they decide to make a change. That seems to be Jones' M.O.. He gave Legaux a pretty long leash but when he made the change due to Legaux's poor management of the O... he didn't look back. For the sake of JG and QD, I hope he does the same if a change needs to be made.

I've also said that if he wants to make a change, JG should become the starter this week. He and the 1st O should play the whole game running the whole playbook even if it looks like they're running the score up. Conversely, if he's sticking with QD... he should basically do the same. QD and the WR's need max reps to work out all the problems that have been exposed so far.

Butch is an extremely polarizing person. Naturally.

When your are as polarizing as he is, you are not going to bring people together. The "pumpers vs negas" is what you get. Griffith vs Swain. Etc etc.

You form sides all around you. That's never good for a program. Love him or hate him. He has created a deep rift between the fans, the media and it will eventually lead to the locker room. This is the social media age. Not the 1960s. These players have twitter. They have facebooks. They watch videos on SEC nation. Eventually half the players will move to Jones to back him and support him. The other half will end up doubting his ability as a coach and those players will have a rift between them as well.

This is possibly why it seems Butch lost the locker room around Mid-October last year. This year it may happen sooner. As seen with Guarantano's attitude and then later Fils-Aime, Wiggins, Byrd's tweets. That's no concrete evidence, but it's definitely not promising. It's not something you see on teams like Alabama or Clemson. Last year it was Preston Williams and Hurd then the Kongbo tweet, and before that it was the "traitor" story and the fight between Maggitt and Bowles.

Believe what you want to. Even get mad at Swain for saying Butch needs to deliver and holding him accountable, but if Butch has one more baffling loss or one more twitter scandal by players....it could get really ugly. The media has him under the micro-scope right now.

I don't think it's Butch that's polarizing. I think this would be happening to any coach that didn't have 10+ wins and championships, no matter what the details.

We see it from jobs to marriages to electronics. This is a negative, disposable society. That's why there are coaches on the hot seat all over the conference. They fire one "mediocre" coach only to hire and fire another "mediocre" coach. I used to think it was just that schools like TN didn't spend enough money on a proven winner. But that's not true either. Even the winners fail at the next job.

When you already have a dominant machine at Bama, it's nearly impossible to build talent and depth in the SEC without a decade of steady success and growing the program. Coaches are lucky to get 3 years before they are fired.

It's insanity.

Last edited:
I don't think it's Butch that's polarizing. I think this would be haopening to any coach that didn't have 10+ wins, no matter what the details.

This is a negative, disposable society. That's why there are coaches on the hot seat all over the conference. They fire one "mediocre" coach only to hire and fire another "mediocre" coach. I used to think it was just that schools like TN didn't spend enough money. But that's not true either. When you already have a dominant machine at Bama, it's nearly impossible to build talent and depth without a decade of steady success and growing the program. Coaches are lucky to get 3 years before they are fired. It's insanity.

No. It really isn't. Bama didn't get to where they are not by letting a mediocre coach hang around indefinitely hoping he might get better some day... but by firing mediocre coaches until they had an opportunity to hire Saban.

Five years is enough. It is more than enough for a completely fair evaluation of Jones' abilities and performance. I think he still has time to recover but I'm still skeptical due to his patterns of action/results over the last 4 years. There are some things he does and shows no intention of changing that are likely fatal flaws.

I'm not throwing in the towel yet. While I have supported the view that he should have a high standard and be gone if he doesn't meet it... I can't help but be sad at the prospects of it actually happening. He's a really good guy who works as hard as he can. But he needs to win... and not in a future year. He doesn't have to win the East or the SEC this year. He DOES have to prove he's capable of coaching at a championship level even if he doesn't have a championship caliber team.

That has been my criticism of Jones since the first Vandy loss. Great coaches, coach great... whether they have a loaded team or a team with a 4 win ceiling.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back