Jayson Swain on Finebaum

Butch has lost too many games on basic common sense. I think that's what Swain is getting at. The guy is not smart enough to take this program to the next level. He makes too many stupid decisions and he doesn't know how to manage a game. Ex: if you get down too the 1 yard line and you don't like the plays being ran call timeout! Talk to you're OC. Things that everybody sees on the outside are oblivious to him.

I want a QB that will see the defense and change it to a play that works.

Two things happened. The Florida DB interfered and our guy didn't crash. We ran the criss cross crash without the crash. If Callaway didn't fight it would have been a 100 yard pick 6. Or we would have chased him down causing a fumble thru the end zone.

We need more practice. 121 is wasting their free time.

Lmao after reading some of these comments I think our fans deserve to loose. You guys are going to bash Jason Swain?!? Really?! Just because he wasn't to help CBJ accountable and stop making excuses so much. Please bring on the 6-6 seasons and an extension for Jones we deserve it. You got schools like Texas A&M and UGA willing fire winning coaches because they under perform but our school is suppose to accept mediocre.

Reactions: 3 people
At the risk of taking this thread in an off-topic direction, I do agree that Dormady is (and should be) further along in his command of the offense (than JG). I also recognize a portion of his play has been really good - I would contend nothing Dormady has done is worthy of losing his job.

But...if Jones/Scott are hellbent on running QB read/option plays, it is useless for Dormady to be in there. He's just not that type of player. It's a wasted down to force him to "read" the end, only to hand the ball off 98% of the time regardless of his read. The other 2% are good for a few yards here or there, but nothing that will sustain drives or threaten defenses. Again, wasted plays. If Dormady is your guy - fine - but for crying out loud, give him a chance to win. Otherwise let's dumb down the offense and go with the athlete at QB.

Totally spot on, if you are just going to give it to the RB, I would rather you get under center get a lead blocker in the game and hand it to him. Why all the smoke and mirrors for nothing. QD has run the zone read like 30-40 times and only kept it 1-2 of those times.

Yes he sure could. Remember Peterman at the swamp in 2013? Crompton versus Auburn in 2008? Worley running the read option? We could definitely do worse than QD last Saturday. And based on what I've seen JG would have definitely been worse than QD.

Agreed, did you see him in the one play he came in for QD? Looked like a deer in headlights, had no idea what was going on. That stage in the swamp, with the game in the balance was too big for him.

That said, he needs to get some more game reps to get comfortable. The only way that happens is we start taking care of teams and let him play several series in a row so he can build on that confidence.

Lmao after reading some of these comments I think our fans deserve to loose. You guys are going to bash Jason Swain?!? Really?! Just because he wasn't to help CBJ accountable and stop making excuses so much. Please bring on the 6-6 seasons and an extension for Jones we deserve it. You got schools like Texas A&M and UGA willing fire winning coaches because they under perform but our school is suppose to accept mediocre.
This

Reactions: 1 person
I can only say what is reliably reported and what the coaches believe based on their actions. I have seen as much of them side by side as you have. But it is VERY obvious that the staff doesn't trust JG. I'm sure they wouldn't mind having more mobility at QB.

I also do not think most of you are fair with your criticisms of QD... and would argue the same if you were doing it to JG. The problems start with the inexperience of the WR's. Dormady isn't playing perfect by any stretch but he's made to look much worse by receivers who miss their reads and assignments. It is even worse when you expect a WR to complete a route like he has in practice... and he leaves you hanging by just giving up on the route.

There were A LOT of plays that could have changed that game. But none is any bigger than the pick 6. Most here want to lay that at Dormady's feet. That's a VERY shallow view of it. Go back and watch. QD throws as he's being hit. He throws high which hopefully he'll learn to take a hit and compensate on the throw. It was a tough try for MC... but the ball went right between his hands. Worst cast he should have knocked it down.

There are three mistakes on the play but the worst one was by the player who should be benched in favor of a back up we have seen perform. The primary failure on that play was #66 just flat getting whipped to allow pressure up the middle.. Watch the play. He gets abused. You CANNOT have a good passing game when opponents get consistent pressure up the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m9m2z2wSkA

Go back and look at the first pick, same guy gets trucked forcing QD to throw off his back foot. That's an OL that no one but me seems to be talking about. He was just flat out beaten on two critical plays... that could have been good plays with more time.

If it is time to change the starting line up... you have to start with #66.

He also had 2 or 3 procedure penalties in that game.

You haven't seen all of my posts. Dormady is the choice of the coaches who have evaluated them for 8 months side by side. According to LWSVOL, the competition wasn't close. He's nowhere near as responsible for every problem as you folks try to suggest. I've pointed out many mistakes on his part as well. If you need me to rehash them, I will. I defend what I believe in. If it were JG starting and everyone clamoring for his back up... I'd do the same.

The reason I seem to post so much... is that so many people repeat the same shallow and I believe false narrative that QD is playing awful and causing the O's problems. When people quit unfairly attacking him... I'll stop posting about it.

Agree, there are many failing parts to this offensive system, and it totally starts with the OL, they should be better. The one thing that I will critique QD on is he really needs to (in certain situations) throw the ball away if it is not there.

Going back to the 1st and goal on the 1, I realize he got his as he threw off his back foot, but a decent QB could/should have felt that pressure and either thrown the ball out of the back of the endzone, or taken the sack and line them up 2nd and 5. That's really my only take on that play.

This play really shouldn't have happened anyway, BC this staff should have lined up goal line set and ran the ball, but they didn't so just have to evaluate the play that was ran. And thank god for Calloway making a heads up play and realizing that the ball was gonna be short and made a play to knock it down, or it would have been a pick 6.

I want a QB that will see the defense and change it to a play that works.
No one has suggested that I have seen that QD didn't do what he was coached to do.

The QB doesn't have wide ability to audible at UT. I remember maybe 3 years ago hearing Jones explain it. The O gets the set then most of the time they check with the sideline for the play. Within that play, there will be a limited number of choices that the QB can make based on what he sees. Usually only a run or a pass. The keys he's allowed to read on those plays are also limited. If he reads that the D is loaded up to stop the run then he checks to the pass and vice versa.

Whether QD or JG or Dobbs or anyone else who is the QB of this O... they don't have the power to "change it to a play that works" in the sense you suggest.

Two things happened. The Florida DB interfered and our guy didn't crash. We ran the criss cross crash without the crash. If Callaway didn't fight it would have been a 100 yard pick 6. Or we would have chased him down causing a fumble thru the end zone.
That particular play was just an awful play by QD. He anticipated the rub leaving MC in single coverage or open. That's been the case several times this year on that play. But both DB's having seen that on film... went with MC. They were actually confused and misplayed that play BADLY. Palmer was left standing all alone.

Palmer for his part had a drop that led to the play where he didn't complete the slant route causing an INT. But the play above was on QD.

We need more practice. 121 is wasting their free time.
Agree. Hopefully they won't worry about placating the back up this week and focus on the starters and players they need to work into the 1st team rotation. If QD remains the starter then the earliest he should come out is sometime in the middle of the 4th qtr. UT should run the full playbook from start to finish even if it looks like they're running the score up.

If they decide on a change then no one but JG should play. He needs every live rep he can get if he's going to be called on now. Doubt that's the case... just saying how I think it should be if it becomes reality.

Agree, there are many failing parts to this offensive system, and it totally starts with the OL, they should be better. The one thing that I will critique QD on is he really needs to (in certain situations) throw the ball away if it is not there.
Absolutely. Jones alluded to that when he said that one of QD's problems was that he was trying to compensate for the WR's. That appears to be somewhat the case for the OL too. No doubt that it would have been a better decision to throw it away on his first pick vs UF.

Going back to the 1st and goal on the 1, I realize he got his as he threw off his back foot, but a decent QB could/should have felt that pressure and either thrown the ball out of the back of the endzone, or taken the sack and line them up 2nd and 5. That's really my only take on that play.
I don't completely disagree with that either. He thought he had a play. If they coach him up and he keeps doing it then they'll have to make a change.

This play really shouldn't have happened anyway, BC this staff should have lined up goal line set and ran the ball, but they didn't so just have to evaluate the play that was ran. And thank god for Calloway making a heads up play and realizing that the ball was gonna be short and made a play to knock it down, or it would have been a pick 6.
It was actually a pretty good play. UT used it in the come back vs USCe a few years ago when Swain caught a TD. Palmer was wide open. QD either predetermined to throw it to MC or else somehow missed what the DB's were doing. Again, a pretty "teachable" moment that hopefully he won't repeat.

Fred White explained....like family...we rebuke those we love. We love UT football. The narrative coming from butch and his media sounds like excuses. Instead of focusing on how to win and championships..we get fed excuses. Kudos to fans for not falling for it

Agree except I think he lost practice privileges when he misreported then doubled down on a fake news story about Butch hitting a player.

Also, his comments had very little depth. Just kept saying Year 5. He was there to represent the Fire Butch crowd. That is how he got on the show to start with. And it just fueled the negative. Made fun of the team for celebrating bowl wins. All teams celebrate bowl wins. That's why they have bowls.

He seems to act smug like they won all this hardware while he was a player. One time they won the East in four years. Got drilled in the championship game. So, were the other years a disgrace? Is he embarrassed by them?

Football is about wins. But it is also about a lot of other things. Otherwise, only a couple of teams would find any happiness in any given year.

Im a older Vol I remember when it was Sugar bowl or bust SEC Champs every other year, vols playing for the east every year and sec champions almost every year from the late 80's a couple of years to the 90's which were gold for the Vols. Today ppl are satisfied with Tax Slayer Bowl when UT is better than that and back in the day it would be a insult. like everything thats just my opinion.

Im a older Vol I remember when it was Sugar bowl or bust SEC Champs every other year, vols playing for the east every year and sec champions almost every year from the late 80's a couple of years to the 90's which were gold for the Vols. Today ppl are satisfied with Tax Slayer Bowl when UT is better than that and back in the day it would be a insult. like everything thats just my opinion.

You aren't that damned old or you wouldn't say stuff like that.

Phillip Fulmer took over a program that had languished under Johnny Majors and built a team that competes for championships most years he coached. These same jackals calling for CBJ to be fired see the same rabble rousers that ran Fulmer off. What concerns me is our current AD listened to said jackals and fired the guy that would have retired as the wininngest coach in our history and replaced him with a scoundrel.

Prior to CPF Tennesee struggles more years than not between Dickeys tenure and Fulmers. Prior to Dickey same thing post Neyland.

Leave CBJ alone and he will continue to win 8-10 games per year and eventually a consistent top 15 program. However with today's drive thru fast food mentality that won't happen and we are much more likely to end up with another Battle or Dooley than the next Saban every thinks is out there.

So keep on dreaming that with the next coach we're going to be at the level Fulmer had us. Probably ain't going to happen

Reactions: 2 people
You aren't that damned old or you wouldn't say stuff like that.

Phillip Fulmer took over a program that had languished under Johnny Majors and built a team that competes for championships most years he coached. These same jackals calling for CBJ to be fired see the same rabble rousers that ran Fulmer off. What concerns me is our current AD listened to said jackals and fired the guy that would have retired as the wininngest coach in our history and replaced him with a scoundrel.

Prior to CPF Tennesee struggles more years than not between Dickeys tenure and Fulmers. Prior to Dickey same thing post Neyland.

Leave CBJ alone and he will continue to win 8-10 games per year and eventually a consistent top 15 program. However with today's drive thru fast food mentality that won't happen and we are much more likely to end up with another Battle or Dooley than the next Saban every thinks is out there.

So keep on dreaming that with the next coach we're going to be at the level Fulmer had us. Probably ain't going to happen

Get ready to be called out for accepting mediocrity. It's become a popular retaliatory strategy

Fulmer was very good in his prime. He peaked in '98 and declined steadily from there for many reasons. He lost control of the discipline within the program... and that's not a Genie I've ever seen put back into the bottle. He acquired a sense of entitlement thinking he couldn't be fired. He accepted mediocrity from his staff and chose loyalty to underperforming coaches over program success. His recruiting fell off badly and especially for linemen.

Fulmer's time came and went. It was in honor of what he had done that he got more time when in reality... the decline from around 2001 to 2005 is easy to trace.
Really? What is your proof for that? Who is your example showing that leaving a mediocre coach alone for 8-10 years produces anything but more mediocrity?

It isn't a "drive thru" mentality... it is a basic understanding of responsible leadership. He may simply not have what it takes to succeed at UT EVER. And you CANNOT take the risk of allowing 3+ more years of mediocre performance in the hopes that he has it... when he hasn't demonstrated it in 5 years.

This assumes he doesn't turn the corner this year. I like the new staff and still think it is possible. But have no doubt... he needs to do it and not 5 years from now. He needs to prove he's a championship caliber coach by winning some big games THIS YEAR.

Maybe not. But we can follow the path Bama and other programs have used to succeed or we can follow a failed path of accepting anything less than championship caliber coaching.

IIRC, Mike Shula had a better record when he was fired than Jones has. He also took over a mess. Bama didn't accept excuses. They even fired a favorite son because he didn't produce championships.

You're mad, why?

Not mad, just familiar....

Unless I'm missing something Swain said or did in the past, I can't wrap my head around all the criticism of his appearance on PF.
I guess it's just typical of some Vol fans to find the negative in everything.
Preach on, jayson!

Preach is about all he does..Media members who know him or work/deal with him know what I mean when I say he is a joke with a pom-pom for a microphone....

Deservedly bashed..Those who pay attention to what he says/does SHOULD bash him..And know this: Finebaum won't have ANYONE on his show who might provide anything positive about UT..PF will forever be butt-hurt concerning UT..FOREVER......

I'm not sure JG is that far behind Dormady. He did throw a touchdown pass in that three series he played against Indiana State. Hard to draw any conclusions since they both stare down receivers and throw into coverage. I think 3 interceptions should take you out of a game and give the next guy a try. He can easily throw an interception as well.

VN Store

Back