• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Jayson Swain on Finebaum

JG isn’t in the same league as QD right now.

People need to let that go.

You have barely seen JG. The coaching staff limited his snaps and called plays that were not dependent on him making plays/ extending plays with his feet.

Dormady is awful. Anyone who defends an inaccurate passer and un-athletic player in a run first offense is delusional.

You were probably one of the dummies saying that QD will be better than Peyton Manning after you watched the Orange and White game. Lmao

Reactions: 1 person
I think there is some fans who use the game as just a social gathering and as long as we win some games plus give em a bowl to travel to and vacation at they are happy. Others eat sleep and breath UT football and want us to compete with the best in the land! Not saying either side is better or worse just different expectations!

Yep...some want to win more than others...more passionate.

Awesome point. They are self-fulfilling prophecies, i had a psych professor who just loved to talk about the power and danger of self-fulfilling prophecies.

I really hate the "1-0 every week" mentality, its like an overwhelmed boss who "just wants to get through the day, every day." This lack of long term goals and strategies will tend to make every day overwhelming and stressful, and you'll never get over that hump, its just bad management, period.

Exactly.....I said it several times that Butch is a master at planting seeds of why we might fail before we fail to help cover up for his failures....I've never seen a coach in any sport that does what Butch does time after time.....Butch lost me 2 years ago the week leading up to us playing Florida in the swamp when he said......60% of our team has never been on a plane before. UNREAL!

Reactions: 2 people
Unless I'm missing something Swain said or did in the past, I can't wrap my head around all the criticism of his appearance on PF.
I guess it's just typical of some Vol fans to find the negative in everything.
Preach on, jayson!

Unless I'm missing something Swain said or did in the past, I can't wrap my head around all the criticism of his appearance on PF.
Preach on, jayson!

Swain ran with the Crowder punch BS. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong here but I think someone broke this story. It wasn't Swain but he ran with it. When some reports came out it was false Swain doubled down hard.

If i'm not mistaken he had his partner ask Butch if he punched Crowder at a news conference. Since then Swain hasn't had any credentials and is on the outside looking in just like any of us.

One of Jones' major flaws is that his pre-made excuses possibly intended to lower expectations actually seem to create self-fulfilling prophecies. He talked all summer about how UT would only get 50 plays vs GT... then his coaching fulfilled that and allowed them 96. His complaining about things going into UF... provided ready made excuses for the players not to expect to win.

If you want to win, you never say anything privately or publicly that doesn't exude the attitude that you expect to win. Fans need that... but players REQUIRE IT.

Thank you for pointing out Butch Jones biggest flaw and the #1 reason I'll never defend him. This wimp approach to expectations is the main reason I can't stand him. And he coaches the same way too. Always afraid to lose rather than coaching to win.

If Butch Jones can't stand the expectations and standards here at Tennessee and always wants to downplay them or create ready made excuses before games for why we might lose, then maybe he shouldn't be a college football coach. Maybe Butch Jones should coach Pee Wee sports where they don't keep score of the game and give everyone medals afterwards for participating.

Butch Jones = the ultimate participation coach

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Swain ran with the Crowder punch BS. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong here but I think someone broke this story. It wasn't Swain but he ran with it. When some reports came out it was false Swain doubled down hard.

If i'm not mistaken he had his partner ask Butch if he punched Crowder at a news conference. Since then Swain hasn't had any credentials and is on the outside looking in just like any of us.
Swain is a radio host. He reports news to an audience.....an audience that wants news lol goodness folks

Thank you for pointing out Butch Jones biggest flaw and the #1 reason I'll never defend him. This wimp approach to expectations is the main reason I can't stand him. And he coaches the same way too. Always afraid to lose rather than coaching to win.

If Butch Jones can't stand the expectations and standards here at Tennessee and always wants to downplay them or create ready made excuses before games for why we might lose, then maybe he shouldn't be a college football coach. Maybe Butch Jones should coach Pee Wee sports where they don't keep score of the game and give everyone medals afterwards for participating.

Butch Jones = the ultimate participation coach
Preach.....this job and expectation is to big for him. That's ok....it's to big for most

Swain is a radio host. He reports news to an audience.....an audience that wants news lol goodness folks

Correct but when your reporting fake news and even doubling down on said fake news you should expect any blow back you get.

He reported news and in this case "fake" news for the almighty clicks.

I just think Swain has bought into the disposable mentality. No long-term patience. The grass is always greener with some other coach. And the green is the money the coaching carousel costs.

Year 5. Year 5. Year 5.

If we aren't winning the East, then fire the coach. Like the players or fans can't be happy otherwise.

Well, since divisional play started 25 years ago, TN has won the East 5 times. Just 5. And that includes our Peyton & Natty years. And of the 5, we won the SEC 2 times. That's sure a buttload of unhappy years - 20.

When Swain was at UT, we won the East once. Just once in 4 years, AND had a losing season. Were the players not used to their potential? Were the (hall of fame) coaches terrible?

The answer is no. In the SEC, 10 & 11 win seasons and division championships are very tough to come by.

There are a LOT of other things having to do with a successful program. And Butch is doing them.

It's embarrassing to wear a hat or ring from a bowl win? Why? That doesn't mean we're not hungry or have bigger goals.

Unless you're really lucky, it takes many years to build a program that wins at a very high level.

I just hope we build on what we have rather than trying to start over yet again. Jmo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Preach on, jayson!

His appearance was not trying to be positive. He was there to represent the Fire Butch crowd.

Butch is an extremely polarizing person. Naturally.

When your are as polarizing as he is, you are not going to bring people together. The "pumpers vs negas" is what you get. Griffith vs Swain. Etc etc.

You form sides all around you. That's never good for a program. Love him or hate him. He has created a deep rift between the fans, the media and it will eventually lead to the locker room. This is the social media age. Not the 1960s. These players have twitter. They have facebooks. They watch videos on SEC nation. Eventually half the players will move to Jones to back him and support him. The other half will end up doubting his ability as a coach and those players will have a rift between them as well.

This is possibly why it seems Butch lost the locker room around Mid-October last year. This year it may happen sooner. As seen with Guarantano's attitude and then later Fils-Aime, Wiggins, Byrd's tweets. That's no concrete evidence, but it's definitely not promising. It's not something you see on teams like Alabama or Clemson. Last year it was Preston Williams and Hurd then the Kongbo tweet, and before that it was the "traitor" story and the fight between Maggitt and Bowles.

Believe what you want to. Even get mad at Swain for saying Butch needs to deliver and holding him accountable, but if Butch has one more baffling loss or one more twitter scandal by players....it could get really ugly. The media has him under the micro-scope right now.

I just think Swain has bought into the disposable mentality. No long-term patience. The grass is always greener with some other coach. And the green is the money the coaching carousel costs.

Year 5. Year 5. Year 5.

If we aren't winning the East, then fire the coach. Like the players or fans can't be happy otherwise.

Well, since divisional play started 25 years ago, TN has won the East 5 times. Just 5. And that includes our Peyton & Natty years. And of the 5, we won the SEC 2 times. That's sure a buttload of unhappy years - 20.

When Swain was at UT, we won the East once. Just once in 4 years, AND had a losing season. Were the players not used to their potential? Were the (hall of fame) coaches terrible?

The answer is no. In the SEC, 10 & 11 win seasons and division championships are very tough to come by.

There are a LOT of other things having to do with a successful program. And Butch is doing them.

It's embarrassing to wear a hat or ring from a bowl win? Why? That doesn't mean we're not hungry or have bigger goals.

Unless you're really lucky, it takes many years to build a program that wins at a very high level.

I just hope we build on what we have rather than trying to start over yet again. Jmo.
So before 2008 we went 5 out of 15 years so once every three years. That's not bad. We haven't been in 10 years now so it's 1 in 5 years odds now. Butch has been here 5 years and still hasn't done it even when the east was at its easiest to win. You made him sound worse by trying to sound good.

Topic 1
What you really said was teams that are winning are happy, and that's true. If TN had won in the swamp everyone would be talking about our national championship possibilities. All would be happy except the hard core negas.

Loosing, over the long run, makes everyone miserable. If we loose one game, fans begin turning over rocks looking for reasons. This is how a coach gets tagged as an idiot, when we all know he's not. Looking at the criticism of Jones you would think he couldn't possibly eat, breath and excrete waste, but he can.

If Saben lost three games this year you would see the same on the Bama blog. Some would even say the idiot was doing it on purpose. There would be talk of the end of days etc.

Butch is not as polarizing as loosing. Loosing, now defined as "Not meeting expectations. " for 5 years on top of the trash fire that preceded it, is unbearable. Holy crap, where's the Tylenol. I can't take any more, something's got to give. Fire B....

For get all the little stuff like play calls, player utilization etc.. That is just us losers looking under rocks.

What it boils down to is should the fans continue suffering, or should we pop the pressure relief valve and get a new coach to look at for a while.

Some fans say, I am done, get me a new coach, I can understand this point of view. These people have a good argument and deserve to win.

Some fans say, wait a minute, we have invested 5 years in this, let's not start over just yet. Things could be worse. Also a very valid point of view.

I am going out on a limb here and predicting we do not win a NC in the next few years. Change anything you want and it is still unlikely to happen.

I am a person that bases decisions on logic and not emotion. I am interested in the Great Jones Expeiment and can't wait to see how it ends. I don't get embarrassed when we loose and won't let a bad game ruin my day. I think Jones is trying very hard to do things the right way here and I appreciate that. I can hold on a couple of more years to see how this pans out.

If you have endured all the pain and suffering you can't I hope god grants you relief.

Topic 2
I am in the group that think QD is well ahead of JG. In the next few games I expect QD to clean up his mistakes and in time become the shadow of Payton.

I don't think it matters that QD is not a real running threat. We would only run him if we had no other option. Likewise we would not run JG unless there were no other option. Notice we protected Dobbs until there were no other options. Dobbs only ran if we were behind late in the game. We didn't run him to get ahead on the scoreboard.

We do need to get JG ready to play. Someone will beak QD and we don't want to miss a beat, like in th FL game.

JG hasn't shown us his best yet. Like all personnel decisions, we would need to watch practice to evaluate him. I don't expect he has absorbed the mental side of the game well enough to challenge QD at reading defenses. I expect JG can scramble very well. In terms of overall effectiveness he may not be that far off QD going into this week. I don't think the coaches are lying about his potential.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back