Two CBs decommitting after "big" recruiting weekend?

Making room for more LBs.

Making room for bigger DB's. He said in his presser he wanted tall,big corners and neither of the guys he cut fit that mold. They were both shorter corners and don't fit was JP wants in his secondary. He's made that even more apparent with all the big corners he has offered since taking the job.

Hate it for these kids but Jones didn't exactly establish a great track record recruiting CB's.

I personally think CJP told them to kick rocks.

Anyone think it was just not a good weekend?

Yeah after checking these two out I am sure he told them to look elsewhere...Both were very low ranked players and probably didn't fit into his plans...I wish them both luck wherever they end up.

Reactions: 1 person
He may be looking to open up spots for next year too. If it's one thing Butch did it was take large classes that required a lot of internal restructuring (attrition) & blue shirts to get them all in. Butch also had a thing for projects which he never was able to develop. If we tell a few guys to kick dirt, it's probably because we have more immediate needs (i.e. LBs & OLmen) and/or he has a different type of CB in mind for his defense.

Just gonna have to trust him and see the type of guys he prefers. Personally think he has a better idea of what works in this league than Butch did. Butch crooted too many tweeners and LBs that transitioned to DE, same with safeties who transitioned to LB. It wasn't working for Butch and it's what led to our historically bad defense.

Change in this case is good. Losing Chatman may hurt but he was let go by LSU too wasn't he? I think the idea with Chatman was maybe you get him so he can recruit some of his teammates (specifically Anderson) to the good guys. From all I've read (which is a lot of hot air), Anderson isn't comin' to UT. So it goes...

We also have to assume that this class will be disrupted due to the negative media attention and the early signing day. I am excited to see what coach Pruitt pulls together but year 1 will be about developing the talent we have then setting conditions for future classes.

I'm not giving up on this class but we need to get OL, LB and then CB. We are okay everywhere else in the near term if they improve their play.

The worse year possible for starting early signing period. :cray:

Reactions: 3 people
Making room for bigger DB's. He said in his presser he wanted tall,big corners and neither of the guys he cut fit that mold. They were both shorter corners and don't fit was JP wants in his secondary. He's made that even more apparent with all the big corners he has offered since taking the job.

Oh I know.

However, switching to a 3-4 is going to require a lot more LBs than UTs current roster provides.

Oh I know.

However, switching to a 3-4 is going to require a lot more LBs than UTs current roster provides.

You're absolutely right. We definitely need to load up on bigger DB's, LB's and Olineman in this class. You know you're in bad shape when walk-on's are playing on the OLine. That should never happen at big time football schools.

Reactions: 2 people
You're absolutely right. We definitely need to load up on bigger DB's, LB's and Olineman in this class. You know you're in bad shape when walk-on's are playing on the OLine. That should never happen at big time football schools.

Yep. I would like for all the CBs to be 6'2" 220 lbs and greased lightning but I hope Pruitt recognizes that the D needs to be fortified from the inside out.

I personally think CJP told them to kick rocks.

Anyone think it was just not a good weekend?

Just look at Bama corners. He likes big, physical, long corners. No big loss IMO. Good luck to the decommitts, its all about going to where you are wanted and fit.

Saban is keeping Pruitt around to prevent him from "recruiting his butt off" for TN. Evil though he may be Elf is playing chess with a bunch of checkers experts.

I think 🤔 we will be ok, because we will get some good corner backs. Pruitt knows what he is going to do with that. He is probably calling some daily, and reaching out to many as he can. I believe we will be alright, and I hope we can get at least three of them in this draft.

Bringing them here when the new coach doesn’t think they fit, isn’t doing them any favors. That’s why sjt and CrunchLeb invented attrition. :wink2:

That was a big problem with Butch's recruiting; he pulled in guys who didn't even fit his scheme.

Reactions: 4 people
Yep. I would like for all the CBs to be 6'2" 220 lbs and greased lightning but I hope Pruitt recognizes that the D needs to be fortified from the inside out.

He definitely will have his work cut out recruiting both lines of scrimmage, LB's and CB's.But he's been in this league long enough to know he's got his work cut out shaping up the roster. Good thing is he knows how to do it unlike that DA we had previously. He was here 5 years and still didn't learn anything.

no.. 5'9-5'10 is NFL bro if the guy was 5'7 or something u have a point but a 6'2 corner is a a skinny free safety at the collegiate level. 5'9-6'1 is the sweet spot for a corner under 200lbs and over 170. If they dropped it was because they were told to kick rocks or didn't buy in.

It always goes down to folks that never played not getting it. There are at the very least 3 different kinds of corners that have totally different mentalities.

1 man=shutdown
2 zone
3 this one is specific to college because of how hashmarks are set, boundary.

you also have the slot guy who comes in in a nickle/dime or 5-2 defense and depending has a different level of responsibility. But to get to a high level in the NCAA or get to the NFL you are one of the first 2 mostly.

Now the guy that makes it to the nfl is usually a mix of the 3. Can do it all. In fact unless the first 2 on your team were high round picks if you are a boundary corner or slot guy NFL prospects are 0. That's the guy with a limited skill set u scheme around.

Most NFL CB's are in that 5-9 to 6-0 range. The guys outside of that are the exception. In college 5'7-6'0 is awesome. if u are gonna read read the right book.
Bama has 14 DBs on their roster. Only 3 are under 6'. 2 are 5'11, and the other is 5'10.

Would not be looking for similar sized DBs.

Between 5’10 and 6’1 is a good size. Size doesn’t matter as much as hips, feet, and ball skills. Martin was 6’1 and had none of those and it showed. Being quick means more than being fast. You have to be able to close and play the ball. Idc how fast or strong you arm. You can’t jam a safety pin in a keyhole without good hips and feet.

Butch loved 3 star players, he could manage them easier is my guess, just look at how many 5 star players transferred under him. You can get lucky on 3 stars every now and then, Sutton was a 3 star but on Bama he may not even be a starter. If you want to compete you need 4 and 5 star players, esp on the DL and secondary. If they are rated a three star there is a reason, Pruitt needs to pull multiple 5 star players instead of just one five star per year like butch.

You are absolutely crazy if you think Cam Sutton would not have started for Alabama his junior year!!! He may not have started post-injury of his senior year, but he would have started for any team in the country his junior year. He was an All-American for goodness sake!

does not matter, over 50% of the recruits that BJ got quit after a year anyway so they are just speeding things up and CJP is going a different route and probably told them they do not fit his scheme.

VN Store

Back