Two CBs decommitting after "big" recruiting weekend?

I feel for all these kids. I recall how good it felt when my son committed to play baseball in Sept of his sr yr. so glad that process was over I couldn’t imagine two weeks before signing having it pulled from him.

I especially hate it for Chatman. He and his family are/were All Vol. Good luck to all these guys

He should walk on.

does not matter, over 50% of the recruits that BJ got quit after a year anyway so they are just speeding things up and CJP is going a different route and probably told them they do not fit his scheme.

Don't know if Jones failed at evaluation, development or both, but it's key we turn this roster over. Transfers and decommits are a good thing. Won't sweat those losses.

Reactions: 1 person
Yep. I would like for all the CBs to be 6'2" 220 lbs and greased lightning but I hope Pruitt recognizes that the D needs to be fortified from the inside out.

I hope he does too. He’s supposed to be some kind of defensive coordinator.

If I were Pruitt I'd make sure I ran from many of the players that dirt bag Jones had on the hook. We've seen plenty well what that dudes "bricks" play like. Just like they had bricks for hands.

Pruitt needs to get his own players and not these MAC caliber players who aren't really 3 or 4 star SEC players.

Butch loved 3 star players, he could manage them easier is my guess, just look at how many 5 star players transferred under him. You can get lucky on 3 stars every now and then, Sutton was a 3 star but on Bama he may not even be a starter. If you want to compete you need 4 and 5 star players, esp on the DL and secondary. If they are rated a three star there is a reason, Pruitt needs to pull multiple 5 star players instead of just one five star per year like butch.

You are not very correct on this one, Sutton would start anywhere

I personally think CJP told them to kick rocks.

Anyone think it was just not a good weekend?

Maybe they got told they weren't gonna confirm their Scholarship offers, Alontae Taylor is coming back again this weekend for a OV, so his must have went well!

I think Pruitt is weeding out the ones he doesn't want! JMHO

I personally think CJP told them to kick rocks.

Anyone think it was just not a good weekend?

Disagree that it wasn’t a good weekend. Alontae Taylor back in the fold, and Pruitt is cutting loose the “Butch Jones Specials” who can’t play the brand of winning football that JP wants. To say I trust his player evaluations and overall recruiting prowess and acumen about 6 lightyears beyond Botch Jones’ is a severe understatement.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think Wiggins was that tall. He looked tiny on the field.

You saw him on the field? Lol.

Jones went and got the upperclassman DB who’d had very good success at his previous stops to strengthen what was a poor DB depth chart....and then pretty much never let him play. Vintage Lyle Jones.

no.. 5'9-5'10 is NFL bro if the guy was 5'7 or something u have a point but a 6'2 corner is a a skinny free safety at the collegiate level. 5'9-6'1 is the sweet spot for a corner under 200lbs and over 170. If they dropped it was because they were told to kick rocks or didn't buy in.

It always goes down to folks that never played not getting it. There are at the very least 3 different kinds of corners that have totally different mentalities.

1 man=shutdown
2 zone
3 this one is specific to college because of how hashmarks are set, boundary.

you also have the slot guy who comes in in a nickle/dime or 5-2 defense and depending has a different level of responsibility. But to get to a high level in the NCAA or get to the NFL you are one of the first 2 mostly.

Now the guy that makes it to the nfl is usually a mix of the 3. Can do it all. In fact unless the first 2 on your team were high round picks if you are a boundary corner or slot guy NFL prospects are 0. That's the guy with a limited skill set u scheme around.

Most NFL CB's are in that 5-9 to 6-0 range. The guys outside of that are the exception. In college 5'7-6'0 is awesome. if u are gonna read read the right book.

pimo,

You made a lot of valid points but saying a corner is in the range of 5'9-6'0 is a little off. I played in college (CB) with a vertical of 38" and I was only 5'10. Ideally corners need to be from 5'11-6'1, 6'2 is preferred but you're right smaller corners can play but they better have a high vertical and fast,that's a must. Receivers are between 5'11-6'5. Lower height in a WR has to have 2 things 1.)they had better be fast 2.) have a vertical out of this world.

5'9 corners for the most part work in HS, and in smaller college divisions but a staff will look for taller corners unless they are 1.) fast (4.3-4.4), high vertical. Mismatches are too easy to put a tall WR against a small corner. A smart OC will throw to a small corner all day with a mismatch.

Reactions: 3 people
Transfers and decommits are the first half of repair, but one can't celebrate the losses until they are actually replaced. Alternatively Pruitt could work harder to keep more guys around and mold them into the types of players he wants. Tough to spread yourself so thin, though. But I'm sure studs are lined up around the block waiting to MUTGA.

What? "Chatman, a standout defensive lineman from Rome (Ga.) High School, gave his verbal pledge to Ed Orgeron during the [LSU] Tigers’ spring game in April along with high school teammates Adam Anderson and Ja’Quon Griffin. The Peach State trio was considered a package deal and all made their way to Baton Rouge with offers from LSU already in hand."

Well, you got half the story.

Chatman was not offered by Tennessee at the time of the LSU offer and he committed along with his teammates. Once Butch's staff got off their ass and offered him, he committed on the spot. His mother is a UT alum Im pretty sure and they were very happy for the offer.

Swain was ok with these leaving on his show this morning because he does not think they fit in what the staff is looking for. He went in to say what skill sets you look for on players who can be developed such as John Kelly. He was not too high on players who have a connection to UT and are not being heavily recruited by other big SEC schools.

Mosely is gone...thank gawd....but Abernathy is a senior in 2018.....and either he was coached up horribly or he just isn't living up to his 4 star status. He's 6'0. I'm assuming he's gonna start in 2018....which doesn't bode well for our defensive backfield.

I really really hope they can turn Abernathy around...he really had some painful blown assignments this year...I actually think he took a step back this year...but so did most of the team.

no.. 5'9-5'10 is NFL bro if the guy was 5'7 or something u have a point but a 6'2 corner is a a skinny free safety at the collegiate level. 5'9-6'1 is the sweet spot for a corner under 200lbs and over 170. If they dropped it was because they were told to kick rocks or didn't buy in.

It always goes down to folks that never played not getting it. There are at the very least 3 different kinds of corners that have totally different mentalities.

1 man=shutdown
2 zone
3 this one is specific to college because of how hashmarks are set, boundary.

you also have the slot guy who comes in in a nickle/dime or 5-2 defense and depending has a different level of responsibility. But to get to a high level in the NCAA or get to the NFL you are one of the first 2 mostly.

Now the guy that makes it to the nfl is usually a mix of the 3. Can do it all. In fact unless the first 2 on your team were high round picks if you are a boundary corner or slot guy NFL prospects are 0. That's the guy with a limited skill set u scheme around.

Most NFL CB's are in that 5-9 to 6-0 range. The guys outside of that are the exception. In college 5'7-6'0 is awesome. if u are gonna read read the right book.

Tell that to the Seattle Seahawks. It really doesn't matter what the NFL "standard" is. Like the Seahawks, Pruitt's system requires bigger corners that can be physical at the LOS.

That was a big problem with Butch's recruiting; he pulled in guys who didn't even fit his scheme.

Dobbs and Kamara were the only ones who perfectly fit his "scheme" by running around (very fast) and improvising because called plays never worked.

VN Store

Back