Don't overreact or over analyze this loss

Exactly. No one else agrees, and your book doesn't matter to anyone but you. If overblowing SEC road losses in your book is your thing, I won't stop you. Enjoy misery.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who agree last night was a bad loss.

Think that's been proven.

Yep, and we had a 8 point lead that evaporated in that time period that he should have called a TO. Instead, we let Mizzou come back while we were sucking wind. 8 point lead at the under-12 TO (11:00 mark). Only one dead-ball (9:47 mark) between then and the under-4 TO (2:09). We had three guys waiting at the bench to come in. Call a TO, stop Mizzou momentum, get our guys some rest, and get the subs in. Instead, we just took that TO into the half and lost it.

Coaching mistake. The score at halftime has no bearing on whether that was the right decision. Take the TO and maybe we have a 5 point lead at the half. Maybe not. We'll never know.

I got flamed for saying basically this in the game thread during halftime. I was literally yelling at the TV to call the timeout. Their crowd was rocking, they were definitely feeling it, and honestly, it just looked like the 5 they had on the court were in better shape than the 5 we had out.

We had everything to lose playing with a tired defense. It was obvious we weren't going to score at a high level last night from the first 10 minutes. We needed to play defense more than they did. To me it was an obvious time out situation, especially in the first half.

Barnes is a hall of fame coach, no doubt. Doesn't mean he doesn't make an occasional mistake.

I so think the Vols showed ton of heart last night. It was their best loss this year. They never gave up.

Barnes can’t make the players score wide open shots.

Hit a couple of those, we probably would have won tonight.

Maybe could have run a couple more traps on defense in the later part if the game but you are spot on. Can't blame a coach for his players missing wide open layups and jumpers.

He did right by putting his best players in a position to score and they didn't convert. Not on Barnes but on our backcourt.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't need to. Kentucky has been everyone's best win for a long time. I would love to take over that roll

I disagree. It’s about context. Kentucky has dominated this league forever. They lose a handful of games.

We just lost our third SEC game and people are talking about how good Missouri is and how it’s such a tough game. Yet we were their best win by far.

I disagree. It’s about context. Kentucky has dominated this league forever. They lose a handful of games.

We just lost our third SEC game and people are talking about how good Missouri is and how it’s such a tough game. Yet we were their best win by far.

We are also Auburn’s best win and North Carolina’s, sooooo....

Two more games we had a chance to win and let it run down our leg.

Why is it that when other good teams lose to average opponents, they’re still considered good teams.

But when Tennessee loses, they’re a bad team and not well coached?

By your standards, Duke, Oklahoma, and Kansas aren’t good teams this year.

Does that also mean Pittsburgh isn’t very good considering they lost to us?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I'm embarrassed.

Anytime you are the opponent's best win it should raise a flag at least somewhat.

Not saying it doesn't happen but that to me is a bad sign. Signals that it was a game you should have won.

This is the most backwards ass logic. If your the opponents best win then it means you were better than all the other teams that lost to them.

Reactions: 1 person
This is the most backwards ass logic. If your the opponents best win then it means you were better than all the other teams that lost to them.

Once again, my posts don’t show 100% support for RB so they are made out to be more than they should be.

“Raise somewhat of an eyebrow”

That doesn’t mean that every time you lose to a team where you’re their best win it’s automatically a bad loss.

Missouri is half way through their schedule and we are their best win. That to me says it was a winnable game to say the least.

Obviously that’s not the same as if we were number one in the land and we lost to someone. Of course we would be their best win. Just another example here so don’t get carried away with this one either.

None of it matters. Rick Barnes is untouchable on this forum right now.

Tennessee's guard play is OVC level and is not getting any better with this group of guards. Evenso, the 3 SEC games the Vols have lost were because the other teams were just mentally tougher than the Vols.

This team will stay around the .500 mark in conference play and end up around 10-8 or 8-10. As usual, they will lose the first game they play in the SEC tournament, hope for an 10-12 seed in the tournament and then either lose the first game in NCAA or NIT regardless of who they play. Because that's what teams do that wilt in the closing minutes against mentally tough teams, especially when you throw in the atrocious guard play that they normally get.

But, on the bright side, this will still be one of the best seasons in several years for the Vols.

As usual? You do realize that in 2 of 3 SECT, Barnes has won the first game, right? In fact, only twice since 2010 has Tennessee gone 0-1 in the tournament.

Edit: Barnes has split his 2 SECT. Got ahead of myself. But the rest is true.

Last edited:
Once again, my posts don’t show 100% support for RB so they are made out to be more than they should be.

“Raise somewhat of an eyebrow”

That doesn’t mean that every time you lose to a team where you’re their best win it’s automatically a bad loss.

Missouri is half way through their schedule and we are their best win. That to me says it was a winnable game to say the least.

Obviously that’s not the same as if we were number one in the land and we lost to someone. Of course we would be their best win. Just another example here so don’t get carried away with this one either.

None of it matters. Rick Barnes is untouchable on this forum right now.

Missouri is a young team that is starting to gel and it has superior talent to UT. That's why they won. Recruiting rankings exist for a reason and usually don't lie. The Vols are a plucky veteran bunch that plays hard. This will lead to success early in the season, especially vs younger teams. They will beat some superior teams early, but usually teams built like the Vols will lose to superior talented teams come NCAA tourney time. There's a reason Kentucky and Duke take their lumps in the regular season and then historically have deep runs with young teams. It's called talent that finally gels at the end of the season.

Reactions: 1 person
Missouri is a young team that is starting to gel and it has superior talent to UT. That's why they won. Recruiting rankings exist for a reason and usually don't lie. The Vols are a plucky veteran bunch that plays hard. This will lead to success early in the season, especially vs younger teams. They will beat some superior teams early, but usually teams built like the Vols will lose to superior talented teams come NCAA tourney time. There's a reason Kentucky and Duke take their lumps in the regular season and then historically have deep runs with young teams. It's called talent that finally gels at the end of the season.

Your theory is flawed as every broadcast the announcers share that UT is the 5th youngest team in the nation - far from a "plunky veteran bunch". I will agree that they "play hard".

VN Store

Back