5* SC PG Josiah James commits to Tennessee

Josiah reminds me a lot of JP Prince.

JP didnt play PG for us but was recruited to Arizona as one.
When UT made that Elite 8, the offense seemed to run thru JP. JP was kind of a point forward during that run and he and the team played some of the best basketball ever at UT. JJJ already has a better body than JP and a lot better jump shot, but I do see some similarities in their game.

When UT made that Elite 8, the offense seemed to run thru JP. JP was kind of a point forward during that run and he and the team played some of the best basketball ever at UT. JJJ already has a better body than JP and a lot better jump shot, but I do see some similarities in their game.

"Alot better" jumpshot is a stretch.

"Alot better" jumpshot is a stretch.
Maybe I should have specified, because JP had the ugliest, 3-point jumper, I have ever seen. JJJ's 3-point shot looks better just from the highlights I have seen, but we will find out soon enough and I can't wait.

He reminds me of Allan Houston physically and when he puts the ball on the floor. Probably a better passer and defender and not as good of a perimeter shooter. But AH was one of UT's 4 best perimeter shooters ever in my book. Mike Edwards, Michael Brooks, Chris Lofton, and Houston. Tony White's probably #5. IIRC, TW scored a lot from around 15 feet and those 4 scored a lot from about 18+ feet. Tony and Allan were the best drivers. Allan was silky smooth whenever the ball was in his hands, but didn't look to pass very often.

Reactions: i2amavol
Clemson basketball has less historical success then Tennessee. Tennessee just won the championship of a better conference (I know those of you that do not know do not understand that). Tennessee has better facilities. More successful coach. And the way Clemson is situated, they have a hard time drawing crowds particularly for mid week games. Their fan base doesn't care about basketball at all. Tennessee went down there last year in that hurricane relief game when Clemson was at full strength and beat them. Not surprised this kid came here instead in the least.

Sorry but you're wrong and thanks for playing but I've been following UT basketball for 45 yrs. I happen to live in Greenville now with a finger on the pulse of Clemson BB as well so I'm speaking on what I see right now. These kids 95% of them only know what they see in the past 5-10 yrs. Brad Brownell is a really good coach in an extremely difficult conference and school to recruit. You are aware they went to and lost in Sweet 16 to then #1 Kansas 80-76 right? You are aware they just rebuilt there basketball coliseum and opened it last year. Tennessee basketball history is spotty successful at best and similar to Clemson in the past 30 yrs. FYI...Our coach was there coach at 1 time.
Without the relationship JJ had with coach Barnes while he was coaching at Texas, Tennessee does not land the 5* from Porter Gaud HS in Charleston, SC, JJ would have been a Clemson Tiger. Had nothing to do with Tennessee and everything to do with our coach and the time he put in to get this kid even before he was in Knoxville.

Rick Barnes at Clemson
Rick Barnes was the first coach in Clemson history to take the Tigers to the NCAA Tournament three consecutive years. Barnes coached Clemson into post-season play every year of his tenure, and to the NCAA's in 1996, 1997, and 1998. The Tiger's top season was his third year, when he coached the Tigers to a 16–1 start and a #2 national ranking. The season opened with a 79–71 overtime victory against defending National Champion Kentucky. The team ended the season 23–10 and ranked #8 in the final USA Today poll. Picked last in the ACC prior to his first season, he shocked the basketball world by winning his first ten games, including a 75–70 victory over 9th ranked Duke in Cameron Indoor Stadium. His second season featured an 18–11 record, including Clemson's first-ever ACC Tournament victory over #20 North Carolina . The Tigers were ranked fifth in the nation in the pre-season poll of 1997–1998, an example of the level of respect that Barnes had brought back to the program. His fiery on the floor interactions with Dean Smith and teams' physical style of play made him a basketball fan favorite. Clemson defeated three top-25 teams in 1997–1998, including sixth-ranked South Carolina. Barnes concluded his four years with a 74–48 record, a 60.7 percent winning mark before leaving for the University of Texas.

Sound familiar?

Now GTFO. ;)

Sorry but you're wrong and thanks for playing but I've been following UT basketball for 45 yrs. I happen to live in Greenville now with a finger on the pulse of Clemson BB as well so I'm speaking on what I see right now. These kids 95% of them only know what they see in the past 5-10 yrs. Brad Brownell is a really good coach in an extremely difficult conference and school to recruit. You are aware they went to and lost in Sweet 16 to then #1 Kansas 80-76 right? You are aware they just rebuilt there basketball coliseum and opened it last year. Tennessee basketball history is spotty successful at best and similar to Clemson in the past 30 yrs. FYI...Our coach was there coach at 1 time.
Without the relationship JJ had with coach Barnes while he was coaching at Texas, Tennessee does not land the 5* from Porter Gaud HS in Charleston, SC, JJ would have been a Clemson Tiger. Had nothing to do with Tennessee and everything to do with our coach and the time he put in to get this kid even before he was in Knoxville.

Rick Barnes at Clemson
Rick Barnes was the first coach in Clemson history to take the Tigers to the NCAA Tournament three consecutive years. Barnes coached Clemson into post-season play every year of his tenure, and to the NCAA's in 1996, 1997, and 1998. The Tiger's top season was his third year, when he coached the Tigers to a 16–1 start and a #2 national ranking. The season opened with a 79–71 overtime victory against defending National Champion Kentucky. The team ended the season 23–10 and ranked #8 in the final USA Today poll. Picked last in the ACC prior to his first season, he shocked the basketball world by winning his first ten games, including a 75–70 victory over 9th ranked Duke in Cameron Indoor Stadium. His second season featured an 18–11 record, including Clemson's first-ever ACC Tournament victory over #20 North Carolina . The Tigers were ranked fifth in the nation in the pre-season poll of 1997–1998, an example of the level of respect that Barnes had brought back to the program. His fiery on the floor interactions with Dean Smith and teams' physical style of play made him a basketball fan favorite. Clemson defeated three top-25 teams in 1997–1998, including sixth-ranked South Carolina. Barnes concluded his four years with a 74–48 record, a 60.7 percent winning mark before leaving for the University of Texas.

Sound familiar?

Now GTFO. ;)

Says the guy with the name TennesseeDuke. Take your own advice fence-sitter.

He reminds me of Allan Houston physically and when he puts the ball on the floor. Probably a better passer and defender and not as good of a perimeter shooter. But AH was one of UT's 4 best perimeter shooters ever in my book. Mike Edwards, Michael Brooks, Chris Lofton, and Houston. Tony White's probably #5. IIRC, TW scored a lot from around 15 feet and those 4 scored a lot from about 18+ feet. Tony and Allan were the best drivers. Allan was silky smooth whenever the ball was in his hands, but didn't look to pass very often.

Good analysis. A lot of people fail to mention Michael Brooks. He would be really well remembered if he had played in the era of the 3 point shot. I don't recall him having any quickness at all, but he sure could shoot from downtown when the game was on the line!

Obviously, Dale Ellis should have been on the list, but we had a certain coach that wanted/needed him to play down low, and discouraged his outside game, as I recall.

Reactions: BristolVol
Good analysis. A lot of people fail to mention Michael Brooks. He would be really well remembered if he had played in the era of the 3 point shot. I don't recall him having any quickness at all, but he sure could shoot from downtown when the game was on the line!

Obviously, Dale Ellis should have been on the list, but we had a certain coach that wanted/needed him to play down low, and discouraged his outside game, as I recall.

I wonder if Devoe would have had Dale Ellis shooting much from the perimeter had he not played at UT before the 3-point. Putting in the 45 second clock was very disruptive to Devoe. He didn't embrace the 3PL either. He would say if any player looked at their feet before putting up an outside shot he'd sit them down on the bench.

Rick Barnes at Clemson

Sound familiar?

Now GTFO. ;)
I do agree that Barnes is the main reason we got this. I think the main idea behind the guys post is that we have a better basketball program than Clemson. Which we do.

Rick Barnes at Clemson

Sound familiar?

Now GTFO. ;)
Tennessee is a better basketball program than Clemson.

Had nothing to do with Tennessee and everything to do with our coach and the time he put in to get this kid even before he was in Knoxville.
That’s actually not true at all, Coach Schwartz saw Josiah James play and relayed to Barnes they needed to offer him which they then did.

VN Store

Back