My predictions for 2019

i think it's surprising all these 5* qb's keep signing with the same schools in consecutive years. tells me something is up on the recruiting of these kids, cause inevitably, they are now showing to leave at the first sign of adversity.

Eason's case is a little different in that he got injured and i doubt From ever sees the field as a started w/out Eason going down in game 1 two years ago. that transfer makes more sense....but to then sign Fields on top of that...knowing he wasn't going to RS?

makes no sense.

anyway, i think what you're going to see is these QB's taking a hard look at the roster, and projected depth charts, and how RS's are being used. and teams are going to have to start finding guys they can develop as RS's if they want to have 3 QB's on the roster.

Jalen Hurts is proving to be the excepiton....and even he transferred when it was all said and done.
Not too surprising. Fields was told by everyone that he was better than Fromm and saw that Kirby didn't mind playing a freshman QB. Fields believed in himself that he would win the starting position, then left after he couldn't. Fields was used to being the man, so it doesn't surprise me that a, he had confidence in himself, and b, he wasn't able to adjust to not being "the guy". College football is changing. Kids don't want to sit and wait any more and will leave for a better opportunity immediately. With transfer rules changing this will happen more and more. Look at Clemson with Hunter Johnson and Bryant Kelley, OSU with Tate Martell, etc.

Reactions: 08Vol
Not too surprising. Fields was told by everyone that he was better than Fromm and saw that Kirby didn't mind playing a freshman QB. Fields believed in himself that he would win the starting position, then left after he couldn't. Fields was used to being the man, so it doesn't surprise me that a, he had confidence in himself, and b, he wasn't able to adjust to not being "the guy". College football is changing. Kids don't want to sit and wait any more and will leave for a better opportunity immediately. With transfer rules changing this will happen more and more. Look at Clemson with Hunter Johnson and Bryant Kelley, OSU with Tate Martell, etc.
eh. may all be true about fields, but seeing his reaction after some games, especially the one where he was walking off the field talking about how all he did ws hand off.....i think he was probably promised some things that never came to fruition.

fields, martell, and you can go back to some of the kids Bama has signed, aTm, OU, now Clemson even Florida....these qb's that come in with the expectation as a freshman, aren't all they're cracked up to be when they get there....

one thing never changes...you can only have 1 qb on the field at a time....and if you're a blue chipper...you should probably reall look around at all the options and situations, if playing as a true freshman is a priority in your recruitment. otherwise, you might at least consider the possiblity that you won't...........that is what's not happening.

Reactions: Atlanta917
eh. may all be true about fields, but seeing his reaction after some games, especially the one where he was walking off the field talking about how all he did ws hand off.....i think he was probably promised some things that never came to fruition.

fields, martell, and you can go back to some of the kids Bama has signed, aTm, OU, now Clemson even Florida....these qb's that come in with the expectation as a freshman, aren't all they're cracked up to be when they get there....

one thing never changes...you can only have 1 qb on the field at a time....and if you're a blue chipper...you should probably reall look around at all the options and situations, if playing as a true freshman is a priority in your recruitment. otherwise, you might at least consider the possiblity that you won't...........that is what's not happening.
Imo the transfers will only get crazier, unless the ncaa finally lets colleges pay players. Right now there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the hardship transfers. Martell and fields get their waiver approved, while someone like Luke Ford who transfers to be near a dying family member gets denied.

Imo the transfers will only get crazier, unless the ncaa finally lets colleges pay players. Right now there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the hardship transfers. Martell and fields get their waiver approved, while someone like Luke Ford who transfers to be near a dying family member gets denied.
i agree with that. but transferring can't be the way to go for most kids. i think recruiting strategies have to be changed somewhat, by both player and coaches. look, coaches don't want this to become a thing anymore than it has already.

so how do you head it off at the pass? the recruiting calander has already been sped up becasue of the ESD....and i think most coaches would rather have as much of their class wrapped up as possible by december. so how do you get kids to slow down and make good choices for themselves, while still going fast enough that you can get them to sign in december?

going to be interesting.....in the end, players are going to have to do a better job of reading hte situation at a given program...imo.

Mostly a hunch based on their past history: 1) No viable QB on roster behind Fromm. 2) Best Ga HS QB 2020 is leaving the State. 3) A big uptick in offseason arrests, grade issues, etc.

I hope you are right but that seems like wishful thinking imho. Kirby has proven he is an elite coach. They likely wont fall out of the top 5 in recruiting for some time. I believe UGA rules the East for at least another 4-5 years.

Lighten up, Francis. Coached in GA 33 years. Know several people around the program. Warning signs are inability to recruit/keep a top level QB since Fromm, an increase in arrests and other off the field (grades,etc) issues that are trending back to Richt levels. Division that still exists in the locker room over the Fields situation. Some are questioning the real reason Chaney would up and leave.

Five Non-Conspiracy/Non-Apocalyptic Reasons Why Chaney Left UGA:
1. UT doubled Chaney's salary
2. I believe Chaney still owned a home in Knoxville
3. UGA did not want to extend Chaney's deal
4. There are a lot more restaurants in K-town than Athens.
5. Repeat #1

Last edited:
Different team playing different teams.

Do you expect JG to stink it up against Vandy again this year? I hope he's either stroking along by then or else has been replaced.

Funny seeing you bring up JG in the Vandy game. Yes he had a terrible game. But the playcalling in that game was atrocious. Also, and correct me if I am wrong, but was it JG that allowed Shurmur to go 31-35 for 367 and 3 TDs? Or did JG allow Vandy to accumulate almost 500 total yards of offense?

I expect our OL to be a smidge better than last year. Hopefully the entire offense gets better. Including JG. And hopefully the defense can do its best not to let a freaking Vandy QB play like Tom Brady against us.

Reactions: Titan05
With the 2019 schedule, it is easy to see the Vols 10-3 after a bowl game.

I don't think they will be any worse than 8-5 after bowl game.

Most of the starters we replace will be guys getting recruited over. We lost our DL, Abernathy, Sapp and a few guys to medical conditions that wouldn't have started this year and Richmond/Osborne. Vandy, uscE, KY, MissSt all have heavy losses to graduation and NFL.

Defense should improve by at least 4 points per game. Offense should improve by at least 5 points per game....and part of that is schedule. BYU won't be putting up WV numbers, Mizzou game will be much closer and Vandy will finally get curb stomped like they deserve!

2 of the 3 games we are supposed to lose are away games.
10-3? I'll have of of what you're drinking. Why are our fans so unrealistic?

Funny seeing you bring up JG in the Vandy game. Yes he had a terrible game. But the playcalling in that game was atrocious. Also, and correct me if I am wrong, but was it JG that allowed Shurmur to go 31-35 for 367 and 3 TDs? Or did JG allow Vandy to accumulate almost 500 total yards of offense?
Not going to argue this one with you since my intent wasn't to bash JG for one particular game. He had a tough one. It happens. I just want to see him improve overall.

The point of my post wasn't JG but to counter the negativity of KBVol. He's basically insinuating that everyone but JG sucks and the season is hopeless. Somehow a guy who was a pretty reasonable poster in the past has become cynical to a fair extreme. He's more negative about the season than I am about JG. I still have hopes for both. I don't stick Vandy in the loss column and especially based on the results of last year's rosters. One of the greatest things about CFB... one of the reasons I love it and have very little interest in the NFL... is that a season of turnover and player development can turn a team around in big ways.

You and I have gone around about JG. You aren't likely to convince me I'm wrong about what JG has been. But I love Chaney. I respect JG for his effort, physical talent, and perseverance. UT now has one of the best OC's in football, a former Heisman QB and national champion as QB coach, and... Tee if those two weren't enough. If JG is ever going to "get it"... Pruitt has given him the best opportunity a QB ever got.

I expect our OL to be a smidge better than last year. Hopefully the entire offense gets better. Including JG. And hopefully the defense can do its best not to let a freaking Vandy QB play like Tom Brady against us.

I think a "smidge" better will look like a whole lot once Chaney focuses in on shaping the personality and style of this O. Development has helped and will help. New blood will help. Hopefully Smith and Kennedy get to play again giving UT as much talent in the center of their OL as anyone.

I'm concerned about the DL. There are no "knowns" except for Gooden and he isn't well known. I think the other two groups are good and relatively deep. But that front three is an enigma.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Lighten up, Francis. Coached in GA 33 years. Know several people around the program. Warning signs are inability to recruit/keep a top level QB since Fromm, an increase in arrests and other off the field (grades,etc) issues that are trending back to Richt levels. Division that still exists in the locker room over the Fields situation. Some are questioning the real reason Chaney would up and leave.
It was an honest, legit question about a top 5 national program showing no signs of slowing down on the field or on the recruiting trail. We’ll see if your “warning signs” have any merit.

Reactions: 08Vol and Titan05
Florida? Whadda y'all know about Florida?

Florida has met Tennessee on the gridiron 48 times. They've won 28. Florida has an 11-game win streak vs Tennessee; however, Tennessee has a 10-game streak vs Florida.

Florida's greatest margin of victory over the Vols is 59-20 (2007). Tennessee's greatest margin of victory over the Gators is 45-3 (1990), an ass-whoopin' that still stick's in the craw of every Florida player, coach, and fan of that team.

Tennessee's all-time record exceeds Florida's in winning percentage (.675 vs .629), national championships (6 vs 3), conference championships (16 vs 8), bowl game appearances (52 vs 44), bowl victories (28 vs 24), all-time wins (838 vs 724), and consensus all-Americans (40 vs 32).

You wanna roll over, mewl and puke, gnash your teeth and pull out your hair over Florida? You wanna nay-say the Volunteers in favor of Florida?

Well, it's apparent that Orange & White aren't your colors. Maybe, in the core of your being, your true colors are blue & adulterated orange.

Pssh. Whippersnappers...

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I wish him nothing but the best. But we won't have to wait for 2020.
LittleVol:

“JG sucks, he’s horrible, he’s not a D1 QB, we’ll never win a game with him, ANYBODY is better than him, I hope he dies.......but I wish him nothing but the best”.

Florida has met Tennessee on the gridiron 48 times. They've won 28. Florida has an 11-game win streak vs Tennessee; however, Tennessee has a 10-game streak vs Florida.

Florida's greatest margin of victory over the Vols is 59-20 (2007). Tennessee's greatest margin of victory over the Gators is 45-3 (1990), an ass-whoopin' that still stick's in the craw of every Florida player, coach, and fan of that team.

Tennessee's all-time record exceeds Florida's in winning percentage (.675 vs .629), national championships (6 vs 3), conference championships (16 vs 8), bowl game appearances (52 vs 44), bowl victories (28 vs 24), all-time wins (838 vs 724), and consensus all-Americans (40 vs 32).

You wanna roll over, mewl and puke, gnash your teeth and pull out your hair over Florida? You wanna nay-say the Volunteers in favor of Florida?

Well, it's apparent that Orange & White aren't your colors. Maybe, in the core of your being, your true colors are blue & adulterated orange.

Pssh. Whippersnappers...

I think the reason many people here feel that way is how skewed it is the last 25-30 years. The all-time figures you quote may be accurate but most people on this board are probably under thirty and what happened in the 30s-60s is not very relevant. Since Spurrier got there, they have pretty much owned us in every way possible, including many years when we had the better team or at least equal team on paper. Spurrier and Florida lived in Fulmer's head rent free his entire tenure. The psychological effect of playing Florida now has reached epic proportions. Many think we will find a way to lose no matter what the teams look like going in. And it's going to stay that way til we can put together our own streak against them in this century.

Pssh. Whippersnappers...

Since 1969, 50 years on, Florida is 27-9 against us. To get that "epic" 10 win streak that we had against them, you have to go back to 1916. Since the SEC divisional split, Florida is 21-6 against UT. You can play the TrueFan™ card if it makes you feel better about the fact that Florida wins the matchup at a 3/1 ratio, but it still won't change the fact that that on any given year, from a statistical standpoint, Florida is more likely to win.

The best Fulmer was ever even able to manage was back-to-back wins in 03 and 04.

I predict that we will be 8-5 at the end of the season as I see us with 7 wins and 5 losses in the regular season and a bowl win in the post season.

I think the reason many people here feel that way is how skewed it is the last 25-30 years. The all-time figures you quote may be accurate but most people on this board are probably under thirty and what happened in the 30s-60s is not very relevant. Since Spurrier got there, they have pretty much owned us in every way possible, including many years when we had the better team or at least equal team on paper. Spurrier and Florida lived in Fulmer's head rent free his entire tenure. The psychological effect of playing Florida now has reached epic proportions. Many think we will find a way to lose no matter what the teams look like going in. And it's going to stay that way til we can put together our own streak against them in this century.

Since 1969, 50 years on, Florida is 27-9 against us. To get that "epic" 10 win streak that we had against them, you have to go back to 1916. Since the SEC divisional split, Florida is 21-6 against UT. You can play the TrueFan™ card if it makes you feel better about the fact that Florida wins the matchup at a 3/1 ratio, but it still won't change the fact that that on any given year, from a statistical standpoint, Florida is more likely to win.

The best Fulmer was ever even able to manage was back-to-back wins in 03 and 04.

Yes, play the "realism" card. Feel superior to the "old fart." Your perspective is "more valid."

I'll keep on living life tempered with humor and hope. Maybe, one of these days, you'll grasp why I do so. If that ever happens, offer me a Belle Meade Bourbon.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back