Long term dominance.....

There can be little dispute that BAMA has been an elite, powerhouse for over 20 years-from 1993 to today, 5 NATYS, 13 Top 10 finishes, 17 Top 25 Finishes, 238-85-1. Facts are facts. Florida Gators will also find themselves in the top 10 powerhouse programs for the last 20 years, like it or not, they've had a hell of a program-and they are lucky. IMHO, they seem to have more than their fair share of luck. I only mention FL here, because their SEC members, a team we should be beating every year. When you take your eye off your own conference, bad things happen.

My criteria was intended to be ‘consecutive years’ of being a top contender. Bama had some really bad years in the 2000s prior to Saban in 2007. They also had a few mediocre years in the late 90s. I see their run from about 2008 through 2019 (so far)- about 12 years and counting. They might have had a 20 year run with Bear although I think even he had a few down years in between. I’d love to count UT from 89-2007 but it was clear that we weren’t a top 5-10/ elite team again after 2001.

In case you missed it or didn't bother with five minutes of Wiki research, we were ranked #2 in the country going into the SEC championship in 2001 and would have won that game with anything less than the wildly corrupt officiating that took place in it. In 1985 all we did in the Sugar Bowl was blow out a Miami team that was ranked #2 in the country.

We might have made the top 4 after the LSU loss in 2001 but probably not. We should have been a top 4 in 96 and 99 were it not for choking against Memphis and Arkansas. We were a top 4 after the Miami win in 85 but not before the game. Hate to admit it but 99 is probably right.

Reactions: 08Vol
I know a lot of the old guys remember those games, they were before my time, but listening to the old WWII vets, they tell me they were really something. A guy that is 104 years old, was 10 back in '26, still remembers how great it was-this is the type of thing that strikes total fear in school such as FL when they have to play us.
As usual your fake posts miss the point

In case you missed it or didn't bother with five minutes of Wiki research, we were ranked #2 in the country going into the SEC championship in 2001 and would have won that game with anything less than the wildly corrupt officiating that took place in it. In 1985 all we did in the Sugar Bowl was blow out a Miami team that was ranked #2 in the country.

Were you ranked in the top 4 in 1985 in the final poll before the bowl game? No

Were you ranked in the top 4 the final poll before the bowl game in 2001? No

@99gator isnt wrong y'all. There are 10-12 places nationally that can currently support a 15 year extended run of success with the right coach. We are one of those schools although towards to bottom of that list. Florida is one of those schools. Florida has demographic advantages that we will never have. A very good coach at UT will not do as good as the exact same coach at UF; however, a very good to great coach will win championships here.

I didn't post anything making this argument. Just saying that for the record.

All I was saying is that these runs that were alluded to in the OP are above and beyond the typical great run a program may have.

Were you ranked in the top 4 in 1985 in the final poll before the bowl game? No

Were you ranked in the top 4 the final poll before the bowl game in 2001? No
The playoff committee that exists now isn’t the same as the AP polls. The teams wouldn’t have been the same

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I didn't post anything making this argument. Just saying that for the record.

All I was saying is that these runs that were alluded to in the OP are above and beyond the typical great run a program may have.

I was referencing your point that everything is cyclical. I agree that it's not. If we keep hiring bad to average coaches, then we won't come back. If we have better coaches than UA, UGA, and UF, we will do well. In the last 30 years, we've had a better coach than UF once (Fulmer > Zook). That was the only period in 30 years that we've won 2 consecutive games against UF.

If we're looking at it from the perspective of kids who have only seen one team dominate CFB then you have to think, eventually, enough kids could grow a disdain for that team (in the sense that a lot of people dislike the Patriots & Yankees, cheating aside) - so much so that they make it a point to go elsewhere.

With Bama leading the way in bodies in the NFL, it's unlikely Saban's dominance will see even a moderate decline. Bama 52 players, OSU 45, Florida 35 - Tenn 24. Saban has that to sell and no one else does. Until he retires or a scandal is brought to surface, Bama will continue to be elite - it's impossible not to when you have their talent, year in and year out.

Wait wildly corrupt officiating? Officials are the reason that Travis Stephens and Donte Stallworth fumbled the ball? Officiating was the reason that Tennessee couldn’t stop the quarterback draw?

Reactions: 67Vol and 08Vol
If there had been a playoff UT would’ve made it in 85, 87, 89, 90, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 01, 03. But there was not one. And no one cares about what a Gator fan thinks about UT. Florida was a mediocre program until 1991. Ole miss had more fans than Florida did before the 90s. Then the Jersey transplants and bandwagon rednecks happened to show up. Florida has had Tennessee’s number lately but Tennessee has had more alltime success and Florida will never surpass that
1985, No chance- Miami, Penn St, Oklahoma, Iowa
1987, no chance- Miami, Oklahoma, Florida State, Syracuse
1989, no chance- Colorado, Michigan, Miami, Notre Dame
1990, maybe- Georgia Tech and Colorado were the only two locks
1995, probably-Nebraska, Florida, and Northwestern would have been locks. Final spot would have come down to UT or Ohio State
1997, absolutely-Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee, FSU
1998- obviously
1999, doubtful-Florida State, Nebraska, Va Tech, Wisconsin
2001, nope-Miami, Nebraska, Colorado, Oregon
2003, seriously???- USC, Oklahoma, LSU, Michigan.

Have any college teams been elite (perennial top 5-10) for 20 straight years? We all know that success is cyclical. We were in that category for maybe 12-13 years (89-01). Georgia has been up and down. Maybe they have been solid for 10-12 years max. Bama close to a 15 year run of dominance with Saban but prior to him they were bad for a decade. Florida has had some runs, but had some bad seasons in between. Nebraska couldn’t sustain their top rankings. USC started to decline after 10 years or so. Florida State? Ouch. I guess what I’m getting at is “can we count on the end of a teams life cycle after x number of years? Will Bama be at the top forever and ever or will the law of averages catch up with them just like everyone else? Is 15-20 years kind of the max? Is there hope that the stock of the elites will start declining and our stock will start trending up?
I haven't taken the time to read all of the posts that respond (well, any of them), but my theory is everything happens in waves. An idea becomes a movement, a movement becomes a force, a force becomes an establishment, an establishment becomes a monument. The monument dies and the process must repeat itself. In the interim someone can inject themselves. Clemson did something similar with the decline of Tennessee in the mid two thousands, as far as taking over Georgia and southeastern recruiting.

There are some monuments out there right now, but who is poised to step into the void?

yes, but you forget the national bias that exists for the explicit purpose of keeping Tennessee down.
No but AP poll has had biases especially in the 1960s thru 1990s. You wouldn’t know bc you have only been a Florida fan since late 90s at best

Reactions: vols4evah
In the Old days (early 90's & before), Nebraska and Oklahoma surrounded themselves with cupcakes in conference (Kansas, Baylor, IowaSt, etc) and Mich & Ohiost did the same with (IU, IL, Purdue, Northwestern, etc).

Back then, the only question was 1st or 2nd place every year. It was easy to assemble 9 win seasons.

Things are much tougher now as the B1G has added Maryland & Rutgers!

There is a reason that Tennessee is one of the top ten football programs of all time: CONSISTENCY

Yes the past decade was Tennessee's worst but let's not act like we were among the worst programs in the country either...

Tennessee all time record by decade:

1890's - 18-13 (58% winning pct.)
1900's -38-38-10 (50%)
1910's - 40-23-7 (67%)
1920's - 68-16-6 (74%)
1930's - 79-16-5 (79%)
1940's - 77-21-5 (75%)
1950's - 72-31-4 (67%)
1960's - 67-32-6 (64%)
1970's - 75-39-3 (64%)
1980's - 76-37-5 (64%)
1990's - 109-24-2 (81%)
2000's - 83-45 (65%)
2010's - 63-62 (50%)

Florida has had 2.5 good decades of football, but they will never catch Tennessee in all time numbers...

I think Bama is on the downward spin. It just want be as noticeable because of their talent. I just feel like their time is slowly ending.

I would like to agree, but not willing to go that far yet. With LSU losing a bunch of their Championship team to the NFL, Bama may once again lead the West. I hope your right though, I really do.

If there had been a playoff UT would’ve made it in 85, 87, 89, 90, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 01, 03. But there was not one. And no one cares about what a Gator fan thinks about UT. Florida was a mediocre program until 1991. Ole miss had more fans than Florida did before the 90s. Then the Jersey transplants and bandwagon rednecks happened to show up. Florida has had Tennessee’s number lately but Tennessee has had more alltime success and Florida will never surpass that

What's your point? UF would have made it to the playoffs more than we would have. But there weren't playoffs, which made the accomplishments more impressive than modern accomplishments. Also, smack about pre-1991 is so, so lame. We need to worry about the present. UF has dominated us the past 40 years, and I would trade what they have accomplished in the last 30 years for your "alltime" argument at the drop of a dime.

@99gator isnt wrong y'all. There are 10-12 places nationally that can currently support a 15 year extended run of success with the right coach. We are one of those schools although towards to bottom of that list. Florida is one of those schools. Florida has demographic advantages that we will never have. A very good coach at UT will not do as good as the exact same coach at UF; however, a very good to great coach will win championships here.
Caveat: Depends on the health of UGA and UT's ability to recruit ATL.

If Pruitt sustains his success in Memphis and adds some success in GA... that's a pretty good formula too.

UF does have an advantage. They also have other major in state programs and every program in the nation trying to raid their home state.

BLah Blah Blah
UT, FSU, THE U, Nebraska, et. all want to remind of the Good Ol Daze.
Sorry, but that Does NOT Matter
We are fighting for Recruits that were NOT Born in 98! I was there - celebrated and would like to attend another one! But sadly being in my 70s. probably not gonna happen.
But I still support and follow UT. Butt dwelling on the Past "aint" gonna get us back again!!

Since 1959.........

only 23 teams have won a National Championship.....and that includes Pitt, Minnesota, Syracuse, Colorado, Ga Tech, and BYU..........teams that will never do it again.

Pretty much 10 teams have won the majority of them.

VN Store

Back