Long term dominance.....

If there had been a playoff UT would’ve made it in 85, 87, 89, 90, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 01, 03. But there was not one. And no one cares about what a Gator fan thinks about UT. Florida was a mediocre program until 1991. Ole miss had more fans than Florida did before the 90s. Then the Jersey transplants and bandwagon rednecks happened to show up. Florida has had Tennessee’s number lately but Tennessee has had more alltime success and Florida will never surpass that

0-12

I don't think so. I don't think anybody has gone 20 years in the top ten every year, using for example post season AP as the gauge. Nebraska came the closest of the schools I looked at. Real close.

The definition of an "elite" team is always a problem if that's all you care about. The best teams that ever played the game won about 80%. If you temporarily get above that, you are in tall cotton. For example, bear bryant, knute rockne, and the General were able to do this in 5 year chunks (by that I mean not 10 year chunks). Saban stands at 9 so he could make it to 10 possibly. Bobby Bowden in fact did make it 11 consecutive years above 80%.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhoenixAZVol
Staying elite is one thing. Staying relevant another. But being dominate only comes in cycles.

That’s what makes the sport fun and keeps people interested. If your team is in that upper echelon you always have a shot at greatness.

What's your point? UF would have made it to the playoffs more than we would have. But there weren't playoffs, which made the accomplishments more impressive than modern accomplishments. Also, smack about pre-1991 is so, so lame. We need to worry about the present. UF has dominated us the past 40 years, and I would trade what they have accomplished in the last 30 years for your "alltime" argument at the drop of a dime.

yea um no,
Winsipedia - Tennessee Volunteers vs. Florida Gators football series history

Why would you trade a 9 game lead in an all time series for 3 less NC's, and 5 less SEC titles, less wins, less bowls, etc.?

Florida has us literally in one category that matters and that's head-to-head..and it's a 9 game difference

I think it is safe to assume that when Saban hangs it up Bama should take a step back for awhile. Normally when a GOAT type coach leaves the program has to rebuild. First, who wants to be the guy to be in that shadow? Second, It is rare to strike pay dirt two coaches in a row. Ohio State may have done it going from Tressel to Meyer to Day but Ohio State football seems to be bigger than their coaches.

I predict when Saban leaves we have another decade of dominance over the Tide like we did during the Fulmer years (assuming the current trend toward our own relevance continues).

I think it is safe to assume that when Saban hangs it up Bama should take a step back for awhile. Normally when a GOAT type coach leaves the program has to rebuild. First, who wants to be the guy to be in that shadow? Second, It is rare to strike pay dirt two coaches in a row. Ohio State may have done it going from Tressel to Meyer to Day but Ohio State football seems to be bigger than their coaches.

I predict when Saban leaves we have another decade of dominance over the Tide like we did during the Fulmer years (assuming the current trend toward our own relevance continues).
I wouldn’t bet on that

Reactions: 08Vol
yea um no,
Winsipedia - Tennessee Volunteers vs. Florida Gators football series history

Why would you trade a 9 game lead in an all time series for 3 less NC's, and 5 less SEC titles, less wins, less bowls, etc.?

Florida has us literally in one category that matters and that's head-to-head..and it's a 9 game difference

Because I give less a sh!t about things that happened when my grandfather and father were learning to ride their bikes for the first time than I do since I was growing up and watching football.

Wait wildly corrupt officiating? Officials are the reason that Travis Stephens and Donte Stallworth fumbled the ball? Officiating was the reason that Tennessee couldn’t stop the quarterback draw?
Practically every time we ran a play in the second half they called a penalty. Three false starts were called on us just in the second half, including two on one drive.

Yeah, it may be more wishful thinking than anything. I do have to admit when I wrote about Ohio State football being bigger than their coaches it did cross my mind that Bama football may be as well.
I think Saban coaches till he is 75 and the way he recruits he will leave the next coach a stockpile of talent. Saban wants to break that tie with Bear for national titles currently tied with him at 6. The only question I have is if he goes another couple years without winning one he’s never gone longer than 2 seasons without winning a title so pretty much every class he has recruited at Bama has won a national title. In 3 years if he hasn’t won another national title the Bammers will be ready to get rid of him

Because I give less a sh!t about things that happened when my grandfather and father were learning to ride their bikes for the first time than I do since I was growing up and watching football.

just because you are too young to remember great seasons and moments don't make them meaningless overall....just saying...Tennessee has established it's place as a top ten all time program and just because they went a little above .500 in their worst decade ever, doesn't mean the rest of their history doesn't matter.

You'll see when things course correct again

I'll be happy with long term competitiveness with the best of the SEC and challenging for the SECE regularly.

just because you are too young to remember great seasons and moments don't make them meaningless overall....just saying...Tennessee has established it's place as a top ten all time program and just because they went a little above .500 in their worst decade ever, doesn't mean the rest of their history doesn't matter.
I suspect that you're too young to remember most of the moments that you're referencing unless that 77 in your username is your age. I'm 36, and we have a grand total of five conference titles in my lifetime. I was only old enough to appreciate two of them.

I'm 40. How old are you? When you rib Gator fans, what do you rib them with? We have six national championships to your three! They'd scratch their heads.

Well, then start painting an accurate reflection of history.

Florida was not Vanderbilt before Steve Spurrier. Florida has been good since the 60’s. They didn’t become championship level until the 80’s, taking yet another step with Spurrier as coach in the 90’s.

Some of y’all act like Florida didn’t win a football game until 1990

I'm 40. How old are you? When you rib Gator fans, what do you rib them with? We have six national championships to your three! They'd scratch their heads.

I’m 50 by the way.

Minnesota has more national titles than Florida.

That said, you be hard pressed to find a UF fan willing to trade UF’s football history post-1989 for anything Tennessee...or Minnesota for that matter...accomplished prior to the 90s.

So congratulations on winning six national titles.

Last edited:
In case you missed it or didn't bother with five minutes of Wiki research, we were ranked #2 in the country going into the SEC championship in 2001 and would have won that game with anything less than the wildly corrupt officiating that took place in it. In 1985 all we did in the Sugar Bowl was blow out a Miami team that was ranked #2 in the country.

Still wouldn't have been in the playoff either year.

I’m 50 by the way.

Minnesota has more national titles than Florida.

That said, you be hard pressed to find a UF fan willing to trade UF’s football history post-1989 for anything Tennessee...or Minnesota for that matter...accomplished prior to the 90s.

So congratulations on winning six national titles.

Yeah. It's tough posting sometimes when you don't have blinders on. Doesn't mean I don't have hope. Doesn't mean I'm not proud of things. But some people are delusional.

Florida and Georgia are currently much better football programs and jobs than UT past national titles or not. Times have changed this isn’t the 30’s and 50’s anymore. Tennessee will always have a uphill road in recruiting compared to Florida and Georgia even South Carolina because of the size of the state and geography. The days of General Neyland dominance is dust in the wind now. Tennessee is a much more challenging coaching gig than Florida and Georgia but the fans expect Neyland and Fulmer like dominance which I don’t think we will ever see again with UT football

VN Store

Back