Long term dominance.....

Tennessee will always have a uphill road in recruiting compared to Florida and Georgia even South Carolina because of the size of the state and geography.

That is changing. Tennessee over the past decade has risen in blue chip recruits. Mainly thanks to the rapidly expanding Nashville market. I have posted it before but we are consistently in the top 10. According to this list from SBNation: All 50 states, ranked by 2019 blue-chip recruits we were 10th in the nation in 2019 with 12 blue chip recruits.

Reactions: PhoenixAZVol
yea um no,
Winsipedia - Tennessee Volunteers vs. Florida Gators football series history

Why would you trade a 9 game lead in an all time series for 3 less NC's, and 5 less SEC titles, less wins, less bowls, etc.?

Florida has us literally in one category that matters and that's head-to-head..and it's a 9 game difference

Yes, without question, I would take UF’s modern day history over UT’s long term success, considering most of UT’s history took place before electricity, integration and central air conditioning.

I was lucky to be alive...and in the building...for all three football NCs and both basketball titles. I wouldn’t trade that for any school’s accomplishments several generations ago.

So again, rock on with those six national titles...I’m good with our three.

Last edited:
Florida and Georgia are currently much better football programs and jobs than UT past national titles or not. Times have changed this isn’t the 30’s and 50’s anymore. Tennessee will always have a uphill road in recruiting compared to Florida and Georgia even South Carolina because of the size of the state and geography. The days of General Neyland dominance is dust in the wind now. Tennessee is a much more challenging coaching gig than Florida and Georgia but the fans expect Neyland and Fulmer like dominance which I don’t think we will ever see again with UT football

Tennessee’s biggest problem has been poor leadership within the Athletic Department since 2008 by making dumb HC hires instead of the right ones. Those horrible decisions led to instability within the football program accompanied with bad coaching. Meanwhile, UGA & UF were maintaining good programs for the most part with some minor Hiccups during that period of time. Previous UT Administration were the enemy holding the program back. UT has always been able to recruit good players regardless of the HC. Landing a good HC has been the biggest obstacle since axing Phil. Hopefully, Fulmer made the right choice by hiring Pruitt who BTW, is bringing in good athletes. My 2 cents.

Yes, without question, I would take UF’s modern day history over UT’s long term success, considering most of UT’s history took place before electricity, integration and central air conditioning.

I was lucky to be alive...and in the building...for all three football NCs and both basketball titles. I wouldn’t trade that for any school’s accomplishments several generations ago.

and yet you continue to come to Tennessee's board looking for justification :cool: Florida was an average SEC program before 1991...Georgia Tech and Ole Miss had more SEC success than the gators at that point...but you have had a good run of 25 years during the height of your program, just not as good as those with more tradition during their heights, i didnt realize that electricity and air conditioning didn't exist in the 90s and 80s, and early 70s, and late 60s

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

I'm not going to like this post, but it's the point.

and yet you continue to come to Tennessee's board looking for justification :cool: Florida was an average SEC program before 1991...Georgia Tech and Ole Miss had more SEC success than the gators at that point...but you have had a good run of 25 years during the height of your program, just not as good as those with more tradition during their heights, i didnt realize that electricity and air conditioning didn't exist in the 90s and 80s, and early 70s, and late 60s

Why do you keep talking about pre-91? You're weird

Reactions: 08Vol

When in doubt, go the “why are you here?” route. 😎

I post on several message boards, VN, Tiger Droppings and occasionally Swamp Gas. I also moderate another message board, and I used to contribute to an off-brand CFB blog that no longer exists.

My references to electricity, integration and central air conditioning were in correlation to five of the six national titles UT claims...1938, 1940, 1950, 1951 and 1967. A bit of hyperbole? Barely.

You keep mentioning how average UF was before 1991, which resonates with a 2020 recruit about as well as mentioning how dominant Tennessee was under General Neyland.

I’ve acknowledged UT’s history, which long term is superior to UF. The same can be said of schools like Michigan, Texas, Minnesota, Penn State, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame. I wouldn’t trade places with any of ‘em.

So everyone’s happy. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaws
Why do you keep talking about pre-91? You're weird
about as relevant as any other past year, but 1991 was the first time most "modern" Florida fans jumped on the bandwagon because of Spurrier, they didnt exist before that, and Florida had went nearly 65 years without an SEC title (same as Vanderbilt)...imagine that

Reactions: 67Vol

I post on several message boards, VN, Tiger Droppings and occasionally Swamp Gas. I also moderate another message board, and I used to contribute to an off-brand CFB blog that no longer exists.

My references to electricity, integration and central air conditioning were in correlation to five of the six national titles UT claim...1938, 1940, 1950, 1951 and 1967. A bit of hyperbole? Barely.

You keep mentioning how average UF was before 1991, which resonates with a 2020 recruit about as well as mentioning how dominant Tennessee was under General Neyland.

I’ve acknowledged UT’s history, which long term is superior to UF. The same can be said of schools like Michigan, Texas, Minnesota, Penn State, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame. I wouldn’t trade places with any of ‘em.

So everyone’s happy. ;)

One thing is for certain, the other boards you visit are not as good as VN. GBO!

My references to electricity, integration and central air conditioning were in correlation to five of the six national titles UT claim...1938, 1940, 1950, 1951 and 1967. A bit of hyperbole? Barely.

So everyone’s happy. ;)
off brand CFB blog that no longer exists lol...you're really a hard charger and to act like all of UT's success was pre-1960s is flat out wrong considering the success we had in 80s, 90s, and early 00s...it's not like the 70 years of mediocrity that Florida had before the 90s...but it won't change the fact that Florida much like Miami and FSU will not be the same program they were during their heights

about as relevant as any other past year, but 1991 was the first time most "modern" Florida fans jumped on the bandwagon because of Spurrier, they didnt exist before that, and Florida had went nearly 65 years without an SEC title (same as Vanderbilt)...imagine that

Disagree...UF sold out Florida Field in the 70s and 80s, because I was there to witness it.

You’re being disingenuous with the “jumped on the bandwagon” statement.

UF fans had no championships to celebrate pre-1991, but to suggest our fan base wasn’t loyal or supportive prior to 1991 is simply untrue.

Florida had a coach who won the Heisman in the 60s and came back and beat some very great Tennessee teams. They've barely lost to us since the 70s. Stop posting stuff like this. It's embarrassing. Time to meet them on the field next year when they are vulnerable.

Florida had a coach who won the Heisman in the 60s and came back and beat some very great Tennessee teams. They've barely lost to us since the 70s. Stop posting stuff like this. It's embarrassing. Time to meet them on the field next year when they are vulnerable.

How vulnerable are they really going to be? Could UT beat UF next year? Sure, but we will most likely not be favored.

yes and none of that has anything to do with what i said...get the gators' balls out of your mouth for a minute....we only played them twice a decade for most of the pre-1990 days so while they have beaten us recently, we would've had tons of wins in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s if we had played them every year...

Florida went almost 70 years without winning anything (except for two back to back seasons in the 80s when they cheated their *ss off and got stripped). Spurrier (who i think is a good coach) brought that program from literally nothing and made it successful, where only Tennessee and Florida St could compete with them for a few years, then UGA, Auburn, LSU, Bama etc got better and they fell back until they hired Meyer and his few seasons of glory...now back to normal, not really winning many titles

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
off brand CFB blog that no longer exists lol...you're really a hard charger and to act like all of UT's success was pre-1960s is flat out wrong considering the success we had in 80s, 90s, and early 00s...it's not like the 70 years of mediocrity that Florida had before the 90s...but it won't change the fact that Florida much like Miami and FSU will not be the same program they were during their heights

Stating that the majority of Tennessee’s claimed national titles occurred pre-1960 is not “acting like ALL of UT’s success was pre-1960s”. Don’t pull a muscle moving that goalpost.

My point all along has been very clear.

UT has more national titles than Florida...acknowledged and noted. Congratulations.

Florida’s national titles happened during my lifetime, which I wouldn’t trade for any of UT’s six, the overwhelming majority of which didn’t happen during your lifetime.

That‘s it.

Reactions: 67Vol
yes and none of that has anything to do with what i said...get the gators' balls out of your mouth for a minute....we only played them twice a decade for most of the pre-1990 days so while they have beaten us recently, we would've had tons of wins in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s if we had played them every year...

Florida went almost 70 years without winning anything (except for two back to back seasons in the 80s when they cheated their *ss off and got stripped). Spurrier (who i think is a good coach) brought that program from literally nothing and made it successful, where only Tennessee and Florida St could compete with them for a few years, then UGA, Auburn, LSU, Bama etc got better and they fell back until they hired Meyer and his few seasons of glory...now back to normal, not really winning many titles

ok man. you're a weird poster

Oklahoma has been pretty good for a while now. Obviously not producing championships left and right but theyve been up there.
Look where they play and when they get in the playoffs they get there azz kicked back to Norman, we will kick there azz in week 2 this coming year if we were in the Big 12 we could win it.

I think Bama is on the downward spin. It just want be as noticeable because of their talent. I just feel like their time is slowly ending.

I don't know about a downward spiral. If Bama had a good kicker they could have won both games they lost this year and possibly won a another NC.

Avoid the rush Hate Bama Now!

There is a reason that Tennessee is one of the top ten football programs of all time: CONSISTENCY

Yes the past decade was Tennessee's worst but let's not act like we were among the worst programs in the country either...

Tennessee all time record by decade:

1890's - 18-13 (58% winning pct.)
1900's -38-38-10 (50%)
1910's - 40-23-7 (67%)
1920's - 68-16-6 (74%)
1930's - 79-16-5 (79%)
1940's - 77-21-5 (75%)
1950's - 72-31-4 (67%)
1960's - 67-32-6 (64%)
1970's - 75-39-3 (64%)
1980's - 76-37-5 (64%)
1990's - 109-24-2 (81%)
2000's - 83-45 (65%)
2010's - 63-62 (50%)

Florida has had 2.5 good decades of football, but they will never catch Tennessee in all time numbers...

Wow. Pruitt is a hero. His 8-5 season prevented us from having our first ever decade with a losing record.

There is a reason that Tennessee is one of the top ten football programs of all time: CONSISTENCY

Yes the past decade was Tennessee's worst but let's not act like we were among the worst programs in the country either...

Tennessee all time record by decade:

1890's - 18-13 (58% winning pct.)
1900's -38-38-10 (50%)
1910's - 40-23-7 (67%)
1920's - 68-16-6 (74%)
1930's - 79-16-5 (79%)
1940's - 77-21-5 (75%)
1950's - 72-31-4 (67%)
1960's - 67-32-6 (64%)
1970's - 75-39-3 (64%)
1980's - 76-37-5 (64%)
1990's - 109-24-2 (81%)
2000's - 83-45 (65%)
2010's - 63-62 (50%)

Florida has had 2.5 good decades of football, but they will never catch Tennessee in all time numbers...

Something looks fishy with the 90’s. I think the 109 wins are inflated. Did you count 11 years? I don’t think Phil (and Johnny) had a better win % than Neyland in the 30’s and 40’s.

VN Store

Back