Alec Abeln new TE coach

I'm down. Heupel is the first football coach we've had in a long, long time who I won't question about this stuff. I think he's proven he knows what he's doing.

Reactions: ERvolsfan
The TE coach is basically a recruiting position. Youth and energy matter. Not sure who was considered or how they came back to this guy... but so far I think Heupel has earned the benefit of the doubt when managing his roster.

Continuity is something we haven’t had in a long time… this will be year 3 for pretty much the entire staff that shows up alot it’s part of the reason Clemson was so successful and Dabo recruiting classes don’t often wow on paper… if CJH likes the hire I love it… seems to groom then promote I like the strategy go Vols.

It’s fine. When you are having success (which is the case presently) promotion from within is a no brainer because somebody is doing something right. If we were stinking the joint up then it would be questionable.

CJH has proven he knows what he is doing. He knows this guy. I’m sure we will all be pleased when it is time for results.

Agree. My take is that the Heup aims to stick with folks who know his offense, can coach position players how to play in it, and hires to maintain a thread of continuity in overall team philosophy and chemistry. Quite frankly, after a two decades long tenure of hiring half-assery, this is exactly what Tennessee needs as we begin the long slow climb to what we once were, and should be. Heup, Heup, Hooray!!!!
tenor.gif

Reactions: volcs
Far as we know. More relevant imo is that his current HS HC gig allows him to be around football but not cut into his family time and the home he's built in Texas. I honestly believe that his long successful HOF career and very brief foray into broadcasting whetted any appetite for the limelight. Position coaching in bigtime college or pro leagues require you to be young and hungry. He's the former but not so much the latter imo.

Lol I forgot all about the stint as a broadcaster? Wasn't he terrible?

Reactions: butchna
Good hire. I much prefer someone that is very familiar with Josh Heupel and his system. Limits the learning curve and adjustment. He will hit the ground running and get after it.

Reactions: Alto1
There are only 2 questions to ask 1. Does this and the OC hire help us take the steps to move closer to Bama, Georgia, Michigan and Clemson, 2. Do you see Saban, Smart, Dabo or Harbaugh making these kind of hires?
Actually Dabo is known for promoting from within. So the answer to your second question is yes.

As I said in the other thread, consistency and cohesion are more important than a big name. Look how well the Pope hire has worked out.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Us keyboard cowboys know more about candidates than Heupel does. We knew from the beginning that hype was a poor hire and will not be successful here. I guess this latest hire confirms our predictions. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back