Alec Abeln new TE coach

It’s a tight end coach. It’s pretty much an entry level position. Abeln fits that profile.
This may be true, but I think in the Hipe system the TE is an important piece. More than we have had the talent or fit to exploit all he would like to do from this position. In today's game everyone's TE seem to be playing a much bigger role if they have the talent to exploit it.

I love the promote from within culture. Keeps your assistants and GAs and analysts working hard. And keeps the team from having to learn a new guy. Just plug in and go.
My thoughts exactly. Kinda like showing kids hard work can lead to playing time. Hueple is building winning culture. The Vols will be back at the top!

Who’s calling for a call to arms? People disappointed or not overly impressed with a hire have an outlet on here. Never bothers me if they accompany it with an open mind. First Heupel hire (other than Will Martinez) that has required a leap of faith from me. Doesn’t sway the success or failure arc one iota.

Underwhelming post. Was hoping for something more thoughtful.

Don't criticize my expression.

The big hire was our OC and I like that our coach likes to train young coaches and groom them to fill spots when the inevitable hiring of our coaches happens due to success. The fun part will be look for the new analysts and grads on the staff they will be the coaches of tomorrow.

Meh. Not a needle mover. We really could have used a recruiter. But, it’s also not a reason to be upset either. It’s just a very meh hire which is completely fine.

If only we could’ve hired Brian Neidermeyer, right? 😂

Remember those calling this a “meh” hire are the same people that’ve whined in the past about the importance of staff continuity.

Let’s get real, 0.9627 of this message board wants only alumni coaching hires, even if they have no coaching experience….I mean while we’re at it, let’s go ahead and fill out our VFL coaching staff so we can tell the AD AND HC they need to get with the plan!
So It must be:
Manning HC (OC and play caller obviously)
Graham, Hayden and Juice
Witten
Swain
Antone or Mays
Bring back Chavy Wavy or Mayo
Haynesworth
Wilson
Fair
A Colquitt
Reveiz

Boom!

CJH has proven he knows what he is doing. He knows this guy. I’m sure we will all be pleased when it is time for results.
Yep, everybody has got to start somewhere. You never know where the next great Coach roots are planted.
Feel like Heupel should know and read the field to put the team in best position moving forward.

There are only 2 questions to ask 1. Does this and the OC hire help us take the steps to move closer to Bama, Georgia, Michigan and Clemson, 2. Do you see Saban, Smart, Dabo or Harbaugh making these kind of hires?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
One thing that CJH has placed a high value on since beginning to implement his offense at Mizzou (that was really the first place he had virtually complete autonomy as a coordinator) was creating a detailed system with consistent processes. My contact says CJH spoke to at least 4 outside candidates, one with whom he is very familiar. At the end of the day he didn't see a better option than Alec.

The most interesting part of our conversation and it's something we talked about before but he communicated it different than previous conversations. He told me on the offensive side of the ball for CJH if things go to plan then every position coach is teaching the offense the exact same way. What CJH wants to do is identify coaching talent early, get those individuals into GA/Analyst positions and teach, teach, teach. Two things that are a must - detail oriented and consistent messaging. He said in most cases if CJH is able to execute his plan then one TE coach leaves the next TE coach is coaching the exact same thing in the exact same way. Guys still will bring their own personalities and obviously there is the recruiting side of things, but he said it is amazing how well every offensive coach down to the GAs knows and is able to teach the offense in the exact same way regarding terminology & techniques.

He said it will get harder as UT continues to be successful as there will be more poaching of not only OC but some of these young guys as well. He said the Pope is a good example of a guy that would of likely got hired away if Burns would of stayed at UT another season or two.

The litmus test will be the Echols commitment. Golesh got us in with him. If he stays on-board, that's a flower in the lapel.

Reactions: Deebowbear
Let’s get real, 0.9627 of this message board wants only alumni coaching hires, even if they have no coaching experience….I mean while we’re at it, let’s go ahead and fill out our VFL coaching staff so we can tell the AD AND HC they need to get with the plan!
So It must be:
Manning HC (OC and play caller obviously)
Graham, Hayden and Juice
Witten
Swain
Antone or Mays
Bring back Chavy Wavy or Mayo
Haynesworth
Wilson
Fair
A Colquitt
Reveiz

Boom!
You kinda go over the top. Maybe 0.0096% feel that way