Alec Abeln new TE coach

Heupel can coach offense. He knows more than we do. Pope had no power 5 experience, then in year 1 he developed a disappointing player into the best WR in the country.

He’s coached a few years under Heupel. Good enough.

Not surprised by an internal hire.
Guy seems solid and knows the current coaches well, which means he likely gets along with all of them too - no 'new guy drama' to deal with.
Also, TE is sort of an extension of O Line so if things aren't clicking Elarbee, Halzle, and Heupel will correct quickly.

I too was kind of hoping for Faris out of UCLA, but I'm good with Albein getting his shot.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I love Jason, but his coaching style is really better suited for high school ball.
Far as we know. More relevant imo is that his current HS HC gig allows him to be around football but not cut into his family time and the home he's built in Texas. I honestly believe that his long successful HOF career and very brief foray into broadcasting whetted any appetite for the limelight. Position coaching in bigtime college or pro leagues require you to be young and hungry. He's the former but not so much the latter imo.

Well how about this, then. When you get hired to Coach an SEC program and get 11 wins, you can hire whomever you'd like.
Why's this a default reaction? But hey, thanks for the preauthorization! ;)

Happy for AA he'll make us a good one, he'll be a better recruiter than most think
Yeah, sometimes it just takes that want to. Recruiting is a marathon, hopefully this guy is young and hungry enough to do well at it. Felt the same way about Pope and that worked out ok.

I do feel like some other options probably didn’t pan out for them to wait this long just to promote from within.

Underwhelming. Really wanted the guy out of ucla.

It's funny how fans think they can judge these hires better than the coach can. I bet Heupel just doesn't know that the UCLA TE coach is better suited for the job than the guy he hired. He has no idea what he's doing like we message board people know.

But yeah, let's complain because the guy Heupel hired to coach TEs doesn't move the needle. LOL.

It's funny how fans think they can judge these hires better than the coach can. I bet Heupel just doesn't know that the UCLA TE coach is better suited for the job than the guy he hired. He has no idea what he's doing like we message board people know.

But yeah, let's complain because the guy Heupel hired to coach TEs doesn't move the needle. LOL.
When fans DECLARE unilaterally that a hire will fail, I'm as annoyed as the next guy. Not seeing that here.

Far as we know. More relevant imo is that his current HS HC gig allows him to be around football but not cut into his family time and the home he's built in Texas. I honestly believe that his long successful HOF career and very brief foray into broadcasting whetted any appetite for the limelight. Position coaching in bigtime college or pro leagues require you to be young and hungry. He's the former but not so much the latter imo.
Really just encapsulated everything I wanted to say about Witten. He’s made plenty to set him up for life, he can do pretty much whatever he wants at this point. If he wanted to be coaching college ball he would be somewhere. Idk that some understand the time demands recruiting puts on these coaches.

Reactions: butchna
I quoted the post to which I was responding. I never said EVERY fan declared it a failure.
The post you quoted didn't either. Wanted Faris...didn't mention this hire failing. Not even a slightly maddening "Hope I'm wrong." :cool:

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Underwhelming. Really wanted the guy out of ucla.
After two years as our head coach and our team finishing as the #5/6 team in the Nation, I have great confidence in his selections of his assistant coaches and look forward to the 2023 football season.

Reactions: 67Vol
Heupel has a respected (if relatively short) track record of hiring his type of coaches and this isn't a Butch Jones "Oh what the hell!" hire. I'm confident it's well vetted and researched...hence why it took awhile, That being said, the last time he hired a TE's coach from withOUT, it was a known commodity that he had to add an OC title to hire. When he snagged Alex Golesh away from Matt Campbell. For all those posters mildly irritatated to outright annoyed towards understandable questions about the new hire? Most of us have learned to trust Heupel's calls. But as the great Ronald Reagan once waxed eloquent...."Trust but VERIFY!" When the final verdict comes in we'll all be right at the same time.
There is nothing to discredit the new TE coach for yet and it worked replacing Burns with Pope. I assume Halzle will do a good job. I'm not going to get up in arms over a TE coach unless there's reason to be.

Reactions: TJSVOLS

Well stated!!

Reactions: butchna
There is nothing to discredit the new TE coach for yet and it worked replacing Burns with Pope. I assume Halzle will do a good job. I'm not going to get up in arms over a TE coach unless there's reason to be.
Who’s calling for a call to arms? People disappointed or not overly impressed with a hire have an outlet on here. Never bothers me if they accompany it with an open mind. First Heupel hire (other than Will Martinez) that has required a leap of faith from me. Doesn’t sway the success or failure arc one iota.

TE Coach...coaching...

"See this?" (points to football) "You need to catch this when thrown to you."

"See this?" (points to blocking dummy) "This represents a DE or DT. You need to stay between this and the QB in games."

"Any questions? No......no........?"

"See you tomorrow."

VN Store

Back