Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

That's not what the whiners said when holding up LSU's turnaround in year 2 as what should have happened here.
Same for Jeff Walz. He took a program with two NCAA Tournament wins all-time to the sweet 16 year 1 and the national title game in year 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTtoDC
Good point.

All these howling for the "elite" coach would have screamed like teething banshees if Staley had been hired based upon her Temple resume. Now they're wanting to throw the account numbers of the Federal Reserve to her.
You can’t compare SC then to the expectations of the Lady Vols head coach then or now. Now there’s a comparison, but not at the time Staley was hired, as I don’t recall them being a perennial powerhouse prior to her arrival. And besides, her temple resume was very impressive, so I don’t really understand your point. Sure her postseason wasn’t as successful, but at quick glance, she made it the tournament all but two years and Temple was consistently 1 or 2 in their conference under Staley.

Comparing a program with 8 titles to 0 titles at the time of the hire doesn’t qualify such. Keep trying to make all things equal though.

You're the one saying Tenn is at "bottom" level by Tennessee standards. You seem to be agreeing that Tenn today...at "Tennessee bottom"...would not even consider Staley as she was when SC hired her. Twenty years later, would that be seen as a mistake?

Reactions: VolFuture
You're the one saying Tenn is at "bottom" level by Tennessee standards. You seem to be agreeing that Tenn today...at "Tennessee bottom"...would not even consider Staley as she was when SC hired her. Twenty years later, would that be seen as a mistake?
That’s accurate 100%, Tennessee had Summitt at the time so doubt it was a thought. But keep trying to zig zag comparisons of then and now. You’re struggling with this one.

Reactions: Tnphil
Class Act!

Umm I dunno. I generally like Dawn, but the "figure of speech" explanation doesn't get it with me. Comparing a statement that was religiously intolerant to one about intolerance for someone not liking women's basketball is just silly. Especially from her position as one of the biggest promoters of socieital inclusivity and she would never in a million years shrug off such a statement in other contexts, I'm not buying take me seriously but not literally from her. She made an intolerant comment, I'm sure by mistake, and should just own it, learn from it, and move on.

Reactions: Lucy and madtownvol
You can’t compare SC then to the expectations of the Lady Vols head coach then or now. Now there’s a comparison, but not at the time Staley was hired, as I don’t recall them being a perennial powerhouse prior to her arrival. And besides, her temple resume was very impressive, so I don’t really understand your point. Sure her postseason wasn’t as successful, but at quick glance, she made it the tournament all but two years and Temple was consistently 1 or 2 in their conference under Staley.

Any hire is a risk. Was Josh Heupel considered a sure thing and 'home run hire" for a formerly prestigious football program?

Your point about Staley's Temple resume is exactly my point. I don't think SC just said, "Oh, well, we'be got nothing to lose." They won the lottery just as we did with Knecht, but surely they had confidence in her abilities. Texas and Texas A&M both had confidence in their most recent hires and paid both handsomely, but one has had disappointing results. We've seen the big+name hires go in both directions.

I expect the search will center around P-5 coaches with recent success who aren't so closely tied to their schools that they won't leave. I would think that the OSU and Indiana coaches might be considered.

Umm I dunno. I generally like Dawn, but the "figure of speech" explanation doesn't get it with me. Comparing a statement that was religiously intolerant to one about intolerance for someone not liking women's basketball is just silly. Especially from her position as one of the biggest promoters of socieital inclusivity and she would never in a million years shrug off such a statement in other contexts, I'm not buying take me seriously but not literally from her. She made an intolerant comment, I'm sure by mistake, and should just own it, learn from it, and move on.

"Non-inclusive" is not 'intolerant."

I will defend @glv98 on this one. Frese is a hard no for me, she's not been to a Final Four since 2015, no natty since 2006 and despite her "nice" record over the last couple of years, the issues within the Maryland program raise some red flags. I will pass all day on this one. Would I have taken her before Kellie, yes, but not now.
For those of us who are anti-Walz, bear in mind that he was a Frese protege. She's a hard no for me as well.

For those of us who are anti-Walz, bear in mind that he was a Frese protege. She's a hard no for me as well.
Don't know if those historical grudges are still in play or not in the new world AD. But if anyone wanted proof that the "blue hair LV mafia" is dead and gone it would be the hiring of either Frese or Walz. Only hiring Geno could be a bigger middle finger to that contingent.

Jeff served on Freese’s staff, but he’s actually a Paul Sanderford protege. Paul got him into coaching while Jeff was attending Western Kentucky and had him on his staff at both WKU and Nebraska for five years. The two are close friends.

Danny is so good at keeping these searches airtight that I won’t believe anything not coming directly from him. Nobody thought he was hiring Heupel until the day it happened.
Really? He was on everybody's list and the local sports talk shows all considered him the coach we hire if we could not get an A list coach

Everybody has a different take on who the top five are. Everybody has a top five and none of them match exactly.

The names usually on there are Kara Lawson, Lindsey Gottlieb and Walz. The Oklahoma coach is on quite a few of them as is Wes Moore. Then some have mid majors Molly Miller and Kim Caldwell. Several other names on one list or the other.

Dawn made a snide comment about Caitlin Clark. She’s not always a “class act.”

VN Store

Back