Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

I will say there are many coaches not named here I could think would be an excellent fit esp from the international scene. However I’m doubting we showed interest. Maybe everyone said no so now he has to double back and renege the list…
It seems there is a portion of the fan base that has little faith in Danny White. Why that is baffles me.

Also all I’m gonna say is if we get a sub par coach… ITS ALL YALL LOUD MOUTHS FAULT.

Kellie is highly respected in the coaching world and many coaches appreciate what she did here. She was successful. She was growing and expanding with USA and international experience. That def rubbed many candidates the wrong way. No one wants crazy expectations like a Natty in 3 years. And a league win in 5 with Dawn and Mulkey in the SEC.

We will get what we deserve sadly. I’m holding hope but faith is waivering. No guarantee it’s a small name but…

Crazy the interest was from mid levels with big eyes seeing a pay increase from 200k to 1 milly… ofc they don’t care to come here make a bag and fail.

All this to say… DW hurry the f up

It seems there is a portion of the fan base that has little faith in Danny White. Why that is baffles me.
It’s not him it the candidates… these expectations set by the school and certain fans would run many away.

I also think many coaches won’t accept protesting Kellies firing

He will find a good coach no doubt. But the right coach? Idk

Reactions: brittannica
If we get a mediocre replacement for Kellie, it will be because nobody wants the job because Holly and Kellie drove the program into the ground.

Oh, sure. There's no quality coaches willing to come work for 2-3 times the salary they're making now and having incredible facilities and fan support. And to a program that had some top young players in the country already in the pipeline.

Anybody too scared to take up the challenge under those circumstances isn't somebody who could succeed anyway.

"Run into the ground." Roll eyes.

Bizarre definition. Finishing third-fourth in what is arguably one of the top three conferences is far above "ground" level. That would mean that there are several hundred college programs that are underground right now including most of the SEC.

Might as well just cut the Tournament down to the top 12 teams in the final coaches' poll and start from there.

Also all I’m gonna say is if we get a sub par coach… ITS ALL YALL LOUD MOUTHS FAULT.

Kellie is highly respected in the coaching world and many coaches appreciate what she did here. She was successful. She was growing and expanding with USA and international experience. That def rubbed many candidates the wrong way. No one wants crazy expectations like a Natty in 3 years. And a league win in 5 with Dawn and Mulkey in the SEC.

We will get what we deserve sadly. I’m holding hope but faith is waivering. No guarantee it’s a small name but…

Crazy the interest was from mid levels with big eyes seeing a pay increase from 200k to 1 milly… ofc they don’t care to come here make a bag and fail.

All this to say… DW hurry the f up

This is where I disagree with others who were ready for the change also.

I don’t think this decision had anything to do with social media posts, or message board musings. Those posts existed only because Danny was watching the same product we were. Fans didn’t force his hand, Kellie did.

Kellie is well respected for her integrity, kindness, and love for the game. It’s a joke to act as though she is well respected for her Xs and Os coaching ability. It’s just not there at the P5 level. That last play against South Carolina was the cherry on top of many poor in game decisions from Harper.

The lack of recruiting, reliance on the portal and inability to win games when her star player went out all added fuel to the fire(ing).

As an AD I wouldn’t much care for a coach who is comfortable just recruiting the portal. It leaves way too many question marks and does not help to build a strong program for the future. It’s hard for an AD to have to buy what the coach is selling at end of season review when they have 5 players returning, only a couple of whom showed they can actually play at this level.

Last edited:
This is where I disagree with others who were ready for the change also.

I don’t think this decision had anything to do with social media posts, or message board musings. Those posts existed only because Danny was watching the same product we were. Fans didn’t force his hand, Kellie did.

Kellie is well respected for her integrity, kindness, and love for the game. It’s a joke to act as though she is well respected for her Xs and Os coaching ability. It’s just not there at the P5 level. That last play against South Carolina was the cherry on top of many poor in game decisions from Harper.

The lack of recruiting, reliance on the portal and inability to win games when her star player went out all added fuel to the fire(ing).

As an AD I wouldn’t much care for a coach who is comfortable just recruiting the portal. It leaves way too many question marks and does not help to build a strong program for the future. It’s hard for an AD to have to buy what the coach is selling at end of season review when they have 5 players returning, only a couple of which showed they can actually play at this level.
I get what u are saying but there are steps he could’ve taken to guarantee the future.

I don’t disagree with the Kellie assessment. Her X Os need help for sure. I actually hope she steers away from college basketball and gets into the pros/USA like many others and learns.

But if u think the vitriol doesn’t play a factor you’re mistaken. DW definitely values our brand and its perception in the world. Even if it was a small part…

There are good candidates like Payne I won’t be mad with but u have to wonder at this point why is she not named that would be an easy hire.

Reactions: brittannica
My understanding over the recruiting is, Kelly had some very high quality talent essentially committed to here and the poor nil environment from the lady vol boosters and supporters was greatly "outbid". If this is the facts, firing Kelly is pointless. If the situation is fixed, why not give her the opportunity with better players(we all know we haven't had those elite elite players here since Pats last good runs). If the situation isn't fixed, it won't really matter who the new coach is, Kelly was just a scapegoat.

You could have a limitless NIL fund and no amount of money is altering how Kellie coached the end of the South Carolina game in the SEC tournament. Talent doesn’t fix that. She had an opportunity. She is a fine coach, not a good or great coach. I’ll take my chances with a better coach. NIL is not a silver bullet that fixes all problems.

You could have a limitless NIL fund and no amount of money is altering how Kellie coached the end of the South Carolina game in the SEC tournament. Talent doesn’t fix that. She had an opportunity. She is a fine coach, not a good or great coach. I’ll take my chances with a better coach. NIL is not a silver bullet that fixes all problems.
Counter would be if we had all that Nil money, we would have had a stacked team and blew them out so it wouldn’t have mattered.

It’s almost like when a coach/ad/etc has a great track record, their abilities get questioned MORE than those that DON’T by a portion of the fan base.

That being said, if Danny’s hire is underwhelming (to me), I will state that without hesitation. But as of now, his track record says that he hires big winners.

Reactions: volman128
I thought the same but someone else correctly noted that she was just born in Jackson, TN but was raised in Canada.
Unless her prenatal and infant memories are really vivid, she probably does not feel deeply connected to the state of Tennessee.

Depends if her parents where from Canada visiting.
Family move canda after her birth.

If family move after birth . She might still have family in Tennessee

VN Store

Back