Jimmy Hyams on The Zone

Teeman

TIFWIW but Jimmy Hyams was just on 104.5 the zone. He had several comments I found interesting.

1. Josh Smith has been battling a groin injury. Doubtful he will be a return man as some had speculated.

2. Said Richmond not as good as Richmond thought he was. Hasn't applied himself. Even put him in the same category as Blair.

3. Kongbo been a disappointment so far with 4 tackles on the year. Says he was unfairly hyped. Sees him as a DE only.

4. He doesn't believe the OL will be as healthy as some are saying. Still patchwork. Says Weisman and Hall are still iffy and Jones will have a club on his hand.

5. Same goes for the WR unit as a whole. Only four WR available. Jeff George isn't ready and they are thinking about pulling the redshirt off of Callaway.

6. DL as a whole, with the exception of Barnett, has been a disappointment. Even before McKenzie and O'Brien were lost. He really expected Tuttle to be dominant and he hasn't been.

He did say he expects UT to come out of the off week strong and that they should handle SC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
2. Sorry Richmond, your time is up with T Smith headed to Rocky Top next year.
#thenextbigthing

TIFWIW but Jimmy Hyams was just on 104.5 the zone. He had several comments I found interesting.

1. Josh Smith has been battling a groin injury. Doubtful he will be a return man.

2. Said Richmond not a good as Richmond thought he was. Hasn't applied himself. Even put him in the same category as Blair.

3. Kongbo been a disappointment so far with 4 tackles on the year. Says he was unfairly hyped. Sees him as a DE only.

4. He doesn't believe the OL will be as healthy as some are saying. Still patchwork. Says Weisman and Hall are still iffy and Jones will have a club on his hand.

5. Same goes for the WR unit as a whole. Only four WR available. Jeff George isn't ready and they are thinking about pulling the redshirt off of Callaway.

5. Not bad news at all. 4 is all we need to be playing anyway. Give me Malone, Jennings, Byrd and Brandon Johnson. Throw Callaway in there occasionally if they want. Anybody paying attention knew George wasn't gonna contribute this year, his 2-3 O&W game catches notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Some kids develop at a different rate than others. Richmond probably thought, as many kids do coming out of highschool, that you can just show up and be dominant. We he saw that wasn't the case he probably lost some motivation. I bet he comes around sooner rather than later.

Also, I wonder if Butch started him against Appy State to prove a point?

Reactions: 1 person

1. Josh Smith has been battling a groin injury. Doubtful he will be a return man as some had speculated.

2. Said Richmond not as good as Richmond thought he was. Hasn't applied himself. Even put him in the same category as Blair.

6. DL as a whole, with the exception of Barnett, has been a disappointment. Even before McKenzie and O'Brien were lost. He really expected Tuttle to be dominant and he hasn't been.

He did say he expects UT to come out of the off week strong and that they should handle SC.

DANG, nothing but Debbie downer .... I think OL will be in better shape than he thinks...

Jimmy Hyams seems to be painting a bleak picture, given his track record we should be okay. GBO!!!!

Hyams is an excellent journalist.
Multiple sources say Hall is dressed but doing little to no work at practice. Same for Weisman.

The only issue with this is it isn't what you want to hear.

Reactions: 16 people
Reactions: 4 people
Butch and staff have shown they can recruit the talent but have yet to amaze in the development and utilization areas. Based on the last few seasons we will see the offense open up for the back half of the season and end the year with a lot of positives.

Reactions: 2 people
#1 - Correct
#2 - That's the company line, not necessarily true. He has applied himself and worked hard. For whatever reason he is not developing as he should (Mahoney/Debored). A position change may be in order.
#3 - Partially correct. He is not a disappointment. He was dinged up in fall camp and has been learning several positions while playing behind some top talent. He will be fine, probably dominant, as he gains more experience and settles in to playing one position. His body type is DE, not DT.
#4 - Agree
#5 - Callaway should have already played extensively. Game breaking talent. Had they used him instead of Byrd, Byrd would be starting as a shut down CB. That is where he really wants to play (his words) and the team needs him. Just another in a long list of under-utilized/developed/out of positioned talent.

Reactions: 14 people
Some kids develop at a different rate than others. Richmond probably thought, as many kids do coming out of highschool, that you can just show up and be dominant. We he saw that wasn't the case he probably lost some motivation. I bet he comes around sooner rather than later.

Also, I wonder if Butch started him against Appy State to prove a point?

Appy state proved to be too much for many of the Vol OLine, they were taken to the woodshed:ermm:

#1 - Correct
#2 - That's the company line, not necessarily true. He has applied himself and worked hard. For whatever reason he is not developing as he should (Mahoney/Debored). A position change may be in order.
#3 - Partially correct. He is not a disappointment. He was dinged up in fall camp and has been learning several positions while playing behind some top talent. He will be fine, probably dominant, as he gains more experience and settles in to playing one position. His body type is DE, not DT.
#4 - Agree
#5 - Callaway should have already played extensively. Game breaking talent. Had they used him instead of Byrd, Byrd would be starting as a shut down CB. That is where he really wants to play (his words) and the team needs him. Just another in a long list of under-utilized/developed/out of positioned talent.

Is there any way we can install some emergency measures and get you inserted in the coaching staff??

Reactions: 2 people
Hyams is an excellent journalist.
Multiple sources say Hall is dressed but doing little to no work at practice. Same for Weisman.

The only issue with this is it isn't what you want to hear.

This is fist time someone used 'Jimmy Hyams' and 'excellent journalist' in same sentence !! The world you are looking for is 'awful journalist'.

Reactions: 3 people
I've been hearing this repeated on the radio quite a bit lately (Hubbs and others): that UT struggles with odd man (defensive) fronts, running the ball.

That they do better running the ball against traditional 4 man fronts and struggle otherwise.

VN Store

Back