Positive Scout Article on our Offensive Line

KBVol

Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson has been in Tennessee’s football program four years with five starts to his credit, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt junior center Mack Crowder has been in Tennessee’s program four years with one start to his credit, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt junior guard/tackle Kyler Kerbyson has been in Tennessee’s program four years and was voted Most Improved Offensive Player of the spring, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt senior tackle Jacob Gilliam has been in Tennessee’s program five years, performing so well in spring drills that he earned a scholarship and a Game 1 start at left tackle, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Freshman guard Jashon Robertson … OK, this is his first rodeo.

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page

Reactions: 12 people
IMO, this is the difference between us and a lot of the programs that lose several offensive line starters. We at least have upperclassmen that have been in the program and theoretically know how to practice and prepare.

Also, its not like there is no talent in that group. Several of those guys were pretty highly regarded prospects. If they can capitalize on their time with the program and talent I think we will be better than expected. I hope.

Reactions: 6 people
There are 2 real questions..

1. Any potential pro prospects on this years line?- They will be going against pro prospects in the DL each week in the SEC.

2. What is the gap between our 1's and 2's? How many guys can really rotate in play outside of the regular scheduled beat downs...UTC, Ark State...

We shall see soon enough. Reports I've read from tos allude to the coaching staff feeling this line is serviceable albeit not without it's likely trials and tribulations. Seemed to be all off the record stuff but if Butch and coaches feel they can get what they need out of this group I believe them.

Reactions: 1 person
There are 2 real questions..

1. Any potential pro prospects on this years line?- They will be going against pro prospects in the DL each week in the SEC.

2. What is the gap between our 1's and 2's? How many guys can really rotate in play outside of the regular scheduled beat downs...UTC, Ark State...

:good!:

How many could start for Bama, FL, GA, or LSU?

I hate to say it like this, but I was kind of disappointed in our line last year, so I'm not to worried these guys will be much worse.

Reactions: 4 people
I hate to say it like this, but I was kind of disappointed in our line last year, so I'm not to worried these guys will be much worse.

I hear ya. That line was best under Cheney's Offense and with Bray's arm. The new system kind of messed them up a bit.

Keep in Mind... OT Jelks is starting for Vandy and should be playing for us but Dooley screwed the neighbors dog on that one. OT Skipper decomitted when Pittman was not retained and is starting for Arkansas and rejoined Pittman.

As pitiful as I saw our O-line play last year I don't think there is any way that the new guys could be any worse.

Reactions: 2 people
As pitiful as I saw our O-line play last year I don't think there is any way that the new guys could be any worse.

I agree outside of a game or two last years o-line didnt impress me very much to have been so highly touted.if the had been as good as people said they were the vols would have averaged 350 yards a game rushing.

I agree outside of a game or two last years o-line didnt impress me very much to have been so highly touted.if the had been as good as people said they were the vols would have averaged 350 yards a game rushing.

3 of the 5 will make and 2 will start on NFL rosters

You have to think Robertson and Jackson are Pro prospects. Kerbyson maybe. Crowder can squat 600 pounds. Gilliam seems to be an overachiever since the more gifted physically Blair can't beat him out.

Reactions: 2 people
Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson has been in Tennessee’s football program four years with five starts to his credit, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt junior center Mack Crowder has been in Tennessee’s program four years with one start to his credit, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt junior guard/tackle Kyler Kerbyson has been in Tennessee’s program four years and was voted Most Improved Offensive Player of the spring, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt senior tackle Jacob Gilliam has been in Tennessee’s program five years, performing so well in spring drills that he earned a scholarship and a Game 1 start at left tackle, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Freshman guard Jashon Robertson … OK, this is his first rodeo.

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page

Given the popularity of that metaphor and not being a cowboy myself, I can only imagine how difficult someone's actual first rodeo is.

3 of the 5 will make and 2 will start on NFL rosters

I think players from last year's line would be starting this year if they were here now. The total offense may improve but we don't have major upgrades at individual spots. If we did they'd have started more last year.

I think they'll be better at run blocking. They can't be any worse than the last bunch. Pass blocking is what worries me a little. Worley isn't the most mobile guy in the world but he can move a little.

I think players from last year's line would be starting this year if they were here now. The total offense may improve but we don't have major upgrades at individual spots. If we did they'd have started more last year.

I was pointing out last years line

I was pointing out last years line

I know. I was speaking to the concept that this years line has to be better. As a whole it may but on talent alone it isn't. Supported by your listing of NFL caliber guys that left.

I think they'll be better at run blocking. They can't be any worse than the last bunch. Pass blocking is what worries me a little. Worley isn't the most mobile guy in the world but he can move a little.

Hurd may provide you and them an assist in that category but they averaged 5ypc last year as a unit.

I think overall team 118 will have better results but I'm not sure that will be due to the lines. Jmo.

Hurd may provide you and them an assist in that category but they averaged 5ypc last year as a unit.

I think overall team 118 will have better results but I'm not sure that will be due to the lines. Jmo.

I thought that we started the wrong guy last year myself. I thought Marlin Lane was a better runner. I think he'll be a force this year in the SEC.

VN Store

Back