Positive Scout Article on our Offensive Line

Under Bear Bryant, rarely did you see anything but Seniors starting on the OLine. It's nice when we lose a whole line and can plug in upperclassmen.

However, even if the OLine is really good, whether we play 13 games will depend on Butch's game planning and play calling. We're not going to create space with our QBs' legs. It's gotta come from, as Rod Carew said, hitting where they ain't.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought that we started the wrong guy last year myself. I thought Marlin Lane was a better runner. I think he'll be a force this year in the SEC.

I could see that but not in a damn that's obvious way. Toss ups went to the Sr's last year. I think Hurd will be a damn that was obvious kind of back.

I could see that but not in a damn that's obvious way. Toss ups went to the Sr's last year. I think Hurd will be a damn that was obvious kind of back.

To be honest I think Lane will fill most of the starts this year. He's a beast and I think a very underrated back. He'll play in the NFL.

You have to think Robertson and Jackson are Pro prospects. Kerbyson maybe. Crowder can squat 600 pounds. Gilliam seems to be an overachiever since the more gifted physically Blair can't beat him out.

They have a shot at the pros but not as tackles.

Ok let's put it in perspective last year the line didn't have the toughness it took to win. Their greatest game last year was against South Carolina.. We won that game... I didn't like the line play last year and I feel with this new attitude and culture change the toughness will be there... The talent for the sec probably not so much but I say we overcome some of that.

There are 2 real questions..

1. Any potential pro prospects on this years line?- They will be going against pro prospects in the DL each week in the SEC.

2. What is the gap between our 1's and 2's? How many guys can really rotate in play outside of the regular scheduled beat downs...UTC, Ark State...

Wiesman, Coleman Thomas, and Blair are pretty close to starting. Raulerson, Sanders, Pair and others have some catching up to do.

Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson has been in TennesseeÂ’s football program four years with five starts to his credit, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt junior center Mack Crowder has been in TennesseeÂ’s program four years with one start to his credit, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt junior guard/tackle Kyler Kerbyson has been in TennesseeÂ’s program four years and was voted Most Improved Offensive Player of the spring, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt senior tackle Jacob Gilliam has been in TennesseeÂ’s program five years, performing so well in spring drills that he earned a scholarship and a Game 1 start at left tackle, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Freshman guard Jashon Robertson Â… OK, this is his first rodeo.

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page

The TE is a newbie too, but this group could turn out to be very good with the tackles being the biggest question mark.

Redshirt junior guard Marcus Jackson has been in TennesseeÂ’s football program four years with five starts to his credit, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt junior center Mack Crowder has been in TennesseeÂ’s program four years with one start to his credit, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt junior guard/tackle Kyler Kerbyson has been in TennesseeÂ’s program four years and was voted Most Improved Offensive Player of the spring, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Redshirt senior tackle Jacob Gilliam has been in TennesseeÂ’s program five years, performing so well in spring drills that he earned a scholarship and a Game 1 start at left tackle, so 2014 is not his first rodeo.

Freshman guard Jashon Robertson Â… OK, this is his first rodeo.

Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page
Really good stuff, it's not like the whole OL fell off a turnip truck to play ball this past spring.

Reactions: 3 people
I am good with four of the five spots. Well be good in the interior. Kerbyson will be (at worst) an average right tackle. Sanders/Thomas/Kendrick/Weisman all have talent and were highly recruited. The depth is actually pretty good.

However LT scares the absolute **** out of me. I don't trust Gilliam. I would have felt so much better if Blair had taken over from day one.

[/B]

Wiesman, Coleman Thomas, and Blair are pretty close to starting. Raulerson, Sanders, Pair and others have some catching up to do.

Sanders is the backup RG technically so he's getting there. Still needs to improve though.

I am good with four of the five spots. Well be good in the interior. Kerbyson will be (at worst) an average right tackle. Sanders/Thomas/Kendrick/Weisman all have talent and were highly recruited. The depth is actually pretty good.

However LT scares the absolute **** out of me. I don't trust Gilliam. I would have felt so much better if Blair had taken over from day one.

Fair assesment. From all the insider reports I have read we'll be adequate and serviceable. I think Gilliam can fit that mold. If people are "impressed" I believe it will be a combination of consistency with scheme and skill play improvements. I think the later can't be stressed enough.

IMO, this is the difference between us and a lot of the programs that lose several offensive line starters. We at least have upperclassmen that have been in the program and theoretically know how to practice and prepare.

Also, its not like there is no talent in that group. Several of those guys were pretty highly regarded prospects. If they can capitalize on their time with the program and talent I think we will be better than expected. I hope.

Not to mention 2 years in this s&c program.

I don't know if they can pass block like the previous group...but this group is downright nasty...our run game should be much improved.

Last years line was pretty good at run blocking.

We averaged five yards per carry (not including sacks) with horrible QB play, one deep threat, and no pass catching tight ends.

Last years group was really damn good.

Reactions: 5 people
I expect Crowder and Jackson to surprise many "insiders"

The true unknown for me is the LT position. If Gilliam is not up to snuff it will wreak havoc on the ability of the offense to perform and spread people out.

From what I watched about Gilliam he is a hungry and rugged guy. He seemed to take his scholly offer with an attitude of "about damn time". For me he was always one of the most interesting interviews after practice. He hasn't been praised with being overly athletic and talented but he has been labeled as consistent and fundamentally sound. He plays with attitude also. My guess is he plays average to above average and the position wont be a strength or a weakness.

Last years line was pretty good at run blocking.

We averaged five yards per carry (not including sacks) with horrible QB play, one deep threat, and no pass catching tight ends.

Last years group was really damn good.

Other than the false starts I'd agree. I don't think we saw their full potential as a unit at all which throws people off.

This offensive line is going to impress later in the year, not in the sense that they will be the best in the sec but that they will be able to do their job at the end of the day.

Something that should be mentioned is that two of our OLs from last year were drafted into the NFL--one is them in the first round. Just because the guys on the team now didn't start last year doesn't mean they're terrible, it may just mean they're not NFL talent.

VN Store

Back