Butch post-game presser had me shaking my head for the first time...

volinbama256

I just watched the post-game presser and I have to say I am not sure what was going on with Butch..... For me, I just saw the first "chink" in his armor....Maybe its just me, but it was almost like he didn't want to give Dobbs any praise above or beyond regular "coach speak".... I know he has two other QBs to worry about and Worley is a battle-tested senior, but it was almost like he didn't want to hurt their feelings by giving Dobbs any praise.... he even went into detail on the negatives in Dobbs performance... Wonder if it was the simple fact that he and everyone else could see what a "gamer" Dobbs is for this offense and what a big mistake he and his staff have made up until this point by not playing him.... The funny part was when he kept saying "Josh adds another element to our offense".... REALLY, you don't say, no Sh@$!? It is exactly what this offense has been lacking and probably the reason we are 3-5 instead of 4-4 or 5-3.... He then says "it will be another week of competitive practice to see who is ready!" Really? We are going to just go into practice this week and act like this didn't happen Saturday night? I sure hope to hell that was more coach speak so that USCe does not necessarily count on or fully prepare for Dobbs....
Hope CBJ was just in a little bit of shock (like most of us were) at what he just saw and was just trying to find the right words to be politically correct during the presser....
Let me be clear before I get bashed---
Worley has done an incredible job this year for us and is tough as nails, and Dobbs made plenty of mistakes last night and has plenty of room for improvement... but it is clear that some are great in practice(Peterman) and suck during the game, and others are "gamers" who are descent in practice, but are extremely competitive and can turn in on and ball under the lights.... Who knows, Dobbs might have been going through the motions at practice if he was told he was red-shirting and was thinking about Aero-space labs and not what he could do to start.....
Either way, this staff has an obligation to the players and the university to grind out the rest of this season and put the best players on the field to finish as strong as possible. These kids have worked too hard to go back to what was NOT working....

Reactions: 30 people
Butch knows who the future of the program is. Its Dobbs. The guy balled out last night and that was his first start. Just think what he could have been doing if he had been playing earlier this year. If I was coach, I'd stick with Dobbs even if Worely is healthy. Worley is a great QB when he has a experienced OL. But that just isn't the case. We need a mobile QB.

Reactions: 2 people
Bottom line, dual threat QBs are difficult to game plan for , a variable in the equation. The pocket passer is the constant, as in constantly blitzed and sacked.

Reactions: 3 people
Coaches know more about our team than we do. All I'm saying.

That maybe so but anyone with eyes can see that Dobbs gives us the best chance to win with this offense. If he is not the starter going forward I will lose much confidence in Butch. Even the O line looked much better when he was in there. He is ability to run the football took a lot of pressure off of them.

Reactions: 5 people
I watched his presser and he didn't do anything wrong. He just isn't tipping his hand tulip much.

He was trying not to smile because he knows this team is close.

They will beat SC this weekend.

Reactions: 3 people
I just watched the post-game presser and I have to say I am not sure what was going on with Butch..... For me, I just saw the first "chink" in his armor....Maybe its just me, but it was almost like he didn't want to give Dobbs any praise above or beyond regular "coach speak".... I know he has two other QBs to worry about and Worley is a battle-tested senior, but it was almost like he didn't want to hurt their feelings by giving Dobbs any praise.... he even went into detail on the negatives in Dobbs performance... Wonder if it was the simple fact that he and everyone else could see what a "gamer" Dobbs is for this offense and what a big mistake he and his staff have made up until this point by not playing him.... The funny part was when he kept saying "Josh adds another element to our offense".... REALLY, you don't say, no Sh@$!? It is exactly what this offense has been lacking and probably the reason we are 3-5 instead of 4-4 or 5-3.... He then says "it will be another week of competitive practice to see who is ready!" Really? We are going to just go into practice this week and act like this didn't happen Saturday night? I sure hope to hell that was more coach speak so that USCe does not necessarily count on or fully prepare for Dobbs....
Hope CBJ was just in a little bit of shock (like most of us were) at what he just saw and was just trying to find the right words to be politically correct during the presser....
Worley has done an incredible job this year for us and is tough as nails, and Dobbs made plenty of mistakes last night and has plenty of room for improvement... but it is clear that some are great in practice(Peterman) and suck during the game, and others are "gamers" who are descent in practice, but are extremely competitive and can turn in on and ball under the lights.... Who knows, Dobbs might have been going through the motions at practice if he was told he was red-shirting and was thinking about Aero-space labs and not what he could do to start.....
Either way, this staff has an obligation to the players and the university to grind out the rest of this season and put the best players on the field to finish as strong as possible. These kids have worked too hard to go back to what was NOT working....

I wouldn't worry to much I expect that Dobbs will be the starter at SC no matter how practice goes. Looks like Worley may be out for the year and Peterman is not as good as Dobbs so it seems like a no brainer. He always uses that practice line. I'm thinking our best offensive OT named Blair may be redshirting this season. Staff may have some evaluation problems.

You can toss out 90% of what Butch says while standing in front of a microphone.

Reactions: 4 people
In that press conference we see a head coach that thinks Dobbs has even more to offer...if not we would have witnessed the effusive praise that Peterman deserved... For not breaking his thumb or buttfumbling. :pinch:

You read it like me, agree 100 percent.

Butch knows who the future of the program is. Its Dobbs. The guy balled out last night and that was his first start. Just think what he could have been doing if he had been playing earlier this year. If I was coach, I'd stick with Dobbs even if Worely is healthy. Worley is a great QB when he has a experienced OL. But that just isn't the case. We need a mobile QB.

Just Friday everyone thought Dobbs was a bust... This site kills me

Reactions: 11 people
Look, maybe it's true that Dobbs' parents wanted him to have a redshirt year--possible. But otherwise it is obvious that Dobbs gives our offense more than Worley, and probably should have been starting from the get-go. I saw him play last year--he adds more. Worley is tough but to say he's been "incredible" is comical when in fact he's not been very good at all in the last three games and has not mobility. You could tell after 3 freakin' plays that Dobbs is the better QB. The whole redshirt thing doesn't make much sense because the coaches had to know that there was a good chance that Worley would miss time with an injury, as he did last year. I question the judgment of the coaches.

VN Store

Back