Butch post-game presser had me shaking my head for the first time...

Several media people with access to the program have commented that Butch seems to feel that Dobbs is not his guy. I have heard this all year long and it has been discussed in social media. No one knows why.

A mobile QB helps compensate for our OL's shortcomings more than a statue who stands in the pocket. That was clear last night. When healthy, Worley is a more accurate passer, but he makes the O one-dimensional.

Several media people with access to the program have commented that Butch seems to feel that Dobbs is not his guy. I have heard this all year long and it has been discussed in social media. No one knows why.

A mobile QB helps compensate for our OL's shortcomings more than a statue who stands in the pocket. That was clear last night. When healthy, Worley is a more accurate passer, but he makes the O one-dimensional.

Legit media people?

Or one of Basilio's hacks, those BS Facebook groups, or dopey unofficial twitter accounts?

Because it makes a difference.

Reactions: 1 person
Dobbs didn't start this season because he sucks in practice.

Every single reporter who covers the Vols and actually watches practice has said that this season.
Once and for all! They do NOT watch practices. After a few minutes of observation they are shooed away. Then and only then, the nitty gritty of the practice begins. Coaches don't let reporters watch the practices! Are you insane? Reporters have to fill pages of print and hours of air time. They know nothing, but are being paid to fire away. Hence, their wildly active imaginations go into overdrive. The galling thing is that so many people on this forum actually believe what they say and repeat it.:eek:lol:

Reactions: 2 people
I wouldn't worry to much I expect that Dobbs will be the starter at SC no matter how practice goes. Looks like Worley may be out for the year and Peterman is not as good as Dobbs so it seems like a no brainer. He always uses that practice line. I'm thinking our best offensive OT named Blair may be redshirting this season. Staff may have some evaluation problems.

Dobbs is the QB, Nate just not a SEC QB, he has proven that, I hate that for him, that's just the way it is, Dobbs can run this Offence that we have been trying to run for 2 years, now we can see what the OC can do, see if he can really call a good game, the way I look at it, he has 4 games to prove he is what we need at OC, so we got 2 trying to prove that they can do the job, I know Dobbs can, don't know about the OC, time for him to open the play book up and see what we got.:clapping:

Worley doesn't make the offense one dimensional. The OL leading to lack of protection and decreased potency of a running game leads to one dimensionality.

Yes, Worley is our best chance. At some point you have to be able to hit an open receiver. In this offense, you still have to be able to complete passes.

Uhh, no. You mean like Worley hit those open WRs at Ole Miss, wait, those were Ole Miss Dbs.....
Worley is a senior and has had 6-7 games under his belt and was still missing WRs and throwing pics....
Dobbs started last night for the first time all season against Bama and did pretty well. If he has time this week to work on timing, he will be fine. Kid has just as much of an arm or more than Worley...

Worley doesn't make the offense one dimensional. The OL leading to lack of protection and decreased potency of a running game leads to one dimensionality.

We were missing 2 starter, that shows you what a Dual QB can do, the D just cant load the box, I have been giving this young line h@ll all year, after last night we got hope, the OL did really do a pretty good job last night, with a year under there belt and more talent coming in on the OL, we just might have a pretty good OL next year.:lolabove:

Dobbs did great and deserves to start sat. But he was far from perfect, fumbe cost us 7 points, missed easy TD to north cost 4 more. Ovethrew pig on sure TD. While we wouldn't have been in game w/o home could haveshocked the world if he had made all the plays a sec qb should.

Yep, another year of off-season conditioning, weight training, another year in the system, and another year to develop football skills and communication on the line in practice should make our line significantly better. Even if we don't replace many of them with "new talent", another year should help significantly.

Well maybe you should sign up to be the football coach. I'm sure they would consider you over Butch anyway

Blue font

Uhh, no. You mean like Worley hit those open WRs at Ole Miss, wait, those were Ole Miss Dbs.....
Worley is a senior and has had 6-7 games under his belt and was still missing WRs and throwing pics....
Dobbs started last night for the first time all season against Bama and did pretty well. If he has time this week to work on timing, he will be fine. Kid has just as much of an arm or more than Worley...

The first pick against Ole Miss sealed my view of Worley. He was forced left, and North (I think) broke deep and had a step on the DB. Worley threw it short and low, right to the Ole Miss DB.

I just watched the post-game presser and I have to say I am not sure what was going on with Butch..... For me, I just saw the first "chink" in his armor....Maybe its just me, but it was almost like he didn't want to give Dobbs any praise above or beyond regular "coach speak".... I know he has two other QBs to worry about and Worley is a battle-tested senior, but it was almost like he didn't want to hurt their feelings by giving Dobbs any praise.... he even went into detail on the negatives in Dobbs performance... Wonder if it was the simple fact that he and everyone else could see what a "gamer" Dobbs is for this offense and what a big mistake he and his staff have made up until this point by not playing him.... The funny part was when he kept saying "Josh adds another element to our offense".... REALLY, you don't say, no Sh@$!? It is exactly what this offense has been lacking and probably the reason we are 3-5 instead of 4-4 or 5-3.... He then says "it will be another week of competitive practice to see who is ready!" Really? We are going to just go into practice this week and act like this didn't happen Saturday night? I sure hope to hell that was more coach speak so that USCe does not necessarily count on or fully prepare for Dobbs....
Hope CBJ was just in a little bit of shock (like most of us were) at what he just saw and was just trying to find the right words to be politically correct during the presser....
Let me be clear before I get bashed---
Worley has done an incredible job this year for us and is tough as nails, and Dobbs made plenty of mistakes last night and has plenty of room for improvement... but it is clear that some are great in practice(Peterman) and suck during the game, and others are "gamers" who are descent in practice, but are extremely competitive and can turn in on and ball under the lights.... Who knows, Dobbs might have been going through the motions at practice if he was told he was red-shirting and was thinking about Aero-space labs and not what he could do to start.....
Either way, this staff has an obligation to the players and the university to grind out the rest of this season and put the best players on the field to finish as strong as possible. These kids have worked too hard to go back to what was NOT working....

Honestly...how long did it take you to formulate this post? Yes and what is your reasoning?

I work with the English department at UT. If you need help formatting future posts, I can do that for you.
Thank you so much for offering your expertise. Would you work with CBJ (I believe a college grad?) and help him learn how to speak a sentence without using the word "agin" every other word? Perhaps, he needs some cues for continuity to remember what he has said so it doesn't result in a "default" that he falls back on "agin" so much. Perhaps, if someone could review his "on screen" performances to help him identify/use words that exist without creating new words not understandable to fans.

Am behind CBJ but those pressers are becoming, even given late night fatigue, mind-numbing.

thanks for all your help.

I just watched the post-game presser and I have to say I am not sure what was going on with Butch..... For me, I just saw the first "chink" in his armor....Maybe its just me, but it was almost like he didn't want to give Dobbs any praise above or beyond regular "coach speak".... I know he has two other QBs to worry about and Worley is a battle-tested senior, but it was almost like he didn't want to hurt their feelings by giving Dobbs any praise.... he even went into detail on the negatives in Dobbs performance... Wonder if it was the simple fact that he and everyone else could see what a "gamer" Dobbs is for this offense and what a big mistake he and his staff have made up until this point by not playing him.... The funny part was when he kept saying "Josh adds another element to our offense".... REALLY, you don't say, no Sh@$!? It is exactly what this offense has been lacking and probably the reason we are 3-5 instead of 4-4 or 5-3.... He then says "it will be another week of competitive practice to see who is ready!" Really? We are going to just go into practice this week and act like this didn't happen Saturday night? I sure hope to hell that was more coach speak so that USCe does not necessarily count on or fully prepare for Dobbs....
Hope CBJ was just in a little bit of shock (like most of us were) at what he just saw and was just trying to find the right words to be politically correct during the presser....
Let me be clear before I get bashed---
Worley has done an incredible job this year for us and is tough as nails, and Dobbs made plenty of mistakes last night and has plenty of room for improvement... but it is clear that some are great in practice(Peterman) and suck during the game, and others are "gamers" who are descent in practice, but are extremely competitive and can turn in on and ball under the lights.... Who knows, Dobbs might have been going through the motions at practice if he was told he was red-shirting and was thinking about Aero-space labs and not what he could do to start.....
Either way, this staff has an obligation to the players and the university to grind out the rest of this season and put the best players on the field to finish as strong as possible. These kids have worked too hard to go back to what was NOT working....

It is OK if you do not understand. You can learn.

CBJ's MO through his career has been a spread offense with big quarterback who can take a pounding and strong arm; is Dobbs 6'3"? he looked small on screen and not sure if his body could take a pounding? Also, his family's priority is his academic career (with scholarship) and will be at UT at least 5 years so CBJ knew a RS would not be a waste since.

CBJ likes to have a big quarterback he can look up to:superman:

Dobbs had at least 2 TD's he missed with North on the slant and Pig running down the sideline,the one INT he did throw,the other 2 he almost threw,the fumble,and the WR's made a few great catches on badly thrown balls, but CBJ didnt praise Dobbs enough in his post game presser? seems legit...

he did move the ball,got into a good rhythm during the 2nd and 3rd qtrs,but he still has a ways to go to be a decent passer,but hopefully a lot of it was from not playing at all and he will knock the rust off....but by all accounts,this has been the MAJOR reason they wanted to redshirt him,his accuracy leaves a lot to be desired...

Uhh, yes. Yeah, Dobbs probably has not worked on timing all year. This week will make all the difference.

I recognized early on that Worley was the starter. I'm not sure the coaches really understood how bad the OL was going to be at the time. IMHO, they committed to RS Dobbs and intended to go through with it until Worley got hurt AND Peterman proved ineffective with his first two drives.

Worley or any other guy who is more of a pocket QB CAN work in this O... but you have to have a good OL for them. Dobbs makes up for a lot of the OL's weaknesses. He forces D's to be more lane disciplined in their pass rushes which in turn gives the OL a better opportunity to succeed. His ability to run prevents the D from just taking off after Hurd.... and it creates angles for the OL's to block better.

Again, I think under different circumstances Worley could have been a very good QB for UT. I'm honestly not sure Peterman has the head for it. But for this team at this time and IMO going forward... Dobbs looks like the best guy.

For those of you who called that before. Hats off to you. You were right. I was wrong.

Reactions: 4 people
Dobbs had at least 2 TD's he missed with North on the slant and Pig running down the sideline,the one INT he did throw,the other 2 he almost threw,the fumble,and the WR's made a few great catches on badly thrown balls, but CBJ didnt praise Dobbs enough in his post game presser? seems legit...

he did move the ball,got into a good rhythm during the 2nd and 3rd qtrs,but he still has a ways to go to be a decent passer,but hopefully a lot of it was from not playing at all and he will knock the rust off....but by all accounts,this has been the MAJOR reason they wanted to redshirt him,his accuracy leaves a lot to be desired...
Look, you can't come on here and state a negative fact. There is and always has been a reason for Dobbs being where he is on the depth chart.

Uhh, yes. Yeah, Dobbs probably has not worked on timing all year. This week will make all the difference.

I'm not sure why folks here seem intent on blowing up one guy in their defenses of another.

Worley did what he could in the situation he had. He played well at times and made some mistakes. IMO, he had become gun shy by the end. That had begun to cause him to rush at times when he had time and could make plays.

So no... Worley doesn't deserve the criticism you responded to AT ALL.

But to your point, Dobbs has NOT gotten the starter's reps or even the back up's reps since August. There's also a huge difference between game reps and practice reps as Peterman can attest to. Dobbs needs to work on being more accurate. The deep throws ARE timing issues that can only be worked out with game experience when you are "that" close. The missed slant was just a poor throw. He needs to correct that.

Reactions: 3 people
CBJ has been sandbagging players all year. He wants to redshirt these guys so he's willing to sacrifice this year so he can show "improvement" next year with a weaker schedule and better players. He needs to put his best players on the field this year like he says he is doing(not) and worry about next year next year.

It's not even close...this is the dumbest thing I've read on here in a while. That's saying something - well done.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back