Butch post-game presser had me shaking my head for the first time...

I watched his presser and he didn't do anything wrong. He just isn't tipping his hand tulip much.

He was trying not to smile because he knows this team is close.

They will beat SC this weekend.
I didn't think the word tulip could ever be used on a football message board. Well done.

Reactions: 1 person
I just watched the post-game presser and I have to say I am not sure what was going on with Butch..... For me, I just saw the first "chink" in his armor....Maybe its just me, but it was almost like he didn't want to give Dobbs any praise above or beyond regular "coach speak".... I know he has two other QBs to worry about and Worley is a battle-tested senior, but it was almost like he didn't want to hurt their feelings by giving Dobbs any praise.... he even went into detail on the negatives in Dobbs performance... Wonder if it was the simple fact that he and everyone else could see what a "gamer" Dobbs is for this offense and what a big mistake he and his staff have made up until this point by not playing him.... The funny part was when he kept saying "Josh adds another element to our offense".... REALLY, you don't say, no Sh@$!? It is exactly what this offense has been lacking and probably the reason we are 3-5 instead of 4-4 or 5-3.... He then says "it will be another week of competitive practice to see who is ready!" Really? We are going to just go into practice this week and act like this didn't happen Saturday night? I sure hope to hell that was more coach speak so that USCe does not necessarily count on or fully prepare for Dobbs....
Hope CBJ was just in a little bit of shock (like most of us were) at what he just saw and was just trying to find the right words to be politically correct during the presser....
Let me be clear before I get bashed---
Worley has done an incredible job this year for us and is tough as nails, and Dobbs made plenty of mistakes last night and has plenty of room for improvement... but it is clear that some are great in practice(Peterman) and suck during the game, and others are "gamers" who are descent in practice, but are extremely competitive and can turn in on and ball under the lights.... Who knows, Dobbs might have been going through the motions at practice if he was told he was red-shirting and was thinking about Aero-space labs and not what he could do to start.....
Either way, this staff has an obligation to the players and the university to grind out the rest of this season and put the best players on the field to finish as strong as possible. These kids have worked too hard to go back to what was NOT working....

Agreed, I've been the first to defend these coaches, but if they start Worley (assuming he heals quickly) I will not defend Butch. It's obvious to everyone that Dobbs is by far our best chance for winning. Pisses me off that Butch just wanted to point out his mistakes. Well Coach, it's better than being sacked 7 times because your qb is a statue.
One other thing, was it Butch that kept saying Worley wasn't supposed to run on certain plays, yet we see Dobbs do it and we're getting first downs! You can't play not to lose. We need a gamer who plays to win, and that man's name is Dobbs.
I love our recruiting, but I'm starting to have my doubts about this coaching staff just making common sense observations and decisions.

Reactions: 2 people
Agreed, I've been the first to defend these coaches, but if they start Worley (assuming he heals quickly) I will not defend Butch. It's obvious to everyone that Dobbs is by far our best chance for winning. Pisses me off that Butch just wanted to point out his mistakes. Well Coach, it's better than being sacked 7 times because your qb is a statue.
One other thing, was it Butch that kept saying Worley wasn't supposed to run on certain plays, yet we see Dobbs do it and we're getting first downs! You can't play not to lose. We need a gamer who plays to win, and that man's name is Dobbs.
I love our recruiting, but I'm starting to have my doubts about this coaching staff just making common sense observations and decisions.

It
Was
Coach
Speak.

Geez...

Victoria's Secret doesn't have as many twisted panties as this fanbase does. People need to stop and breathe for a second.

Reactions: 4 people
Were the words of les miles after the win. It's that important him as a coach. I got to wondering why doesn't Butch want the players to view him this way. There is never a short yardage play we have up our sleeve for a fourth and short. Or a fake fg or punt at a critical time. Against Florida Muschamp made an aggressive decision to sit his veteran qb in favor of a young duel threat qb and they won because of it. We too had offensive struggles in that game but Butch wasn't willing to take a chance and put our athletic qb in the game. Muschamp also attempted a long fg late in that game to win where we punted at the same place in the field earlier in the game on fourth and short. Why didn't Butch send Dobbs out there in the uga game when worley was injured? Anyone that's seen Peterman play knew he wasn't going to get it done.
Butch has all the sayings... Here's the only one he needs to know. No guts no glory. We are a young team without much to lose. Lets go for broke these last few games. Oh by the way... Les miles (that man who above all else wants him team to see him as aggressive) is one of the only coaches in the country with a record of above 50% entering the fourth quarter while losing. Has Butch even won one game entering the fourth quarter behind? Not since he's been here. Note.. Please don't merge with the Florida game thread. This is a different topic

Last edited:
CBJ has been sandbagging players all year. He wants to redshirt these guys so he's willing to sacrifice this year so he can show "improvement" next year with a weaker schedule and better players. He needs to put his best players on the field this year like he says he is doing(not) and worry about next year next year.

I guess Les forgot to be aggressive against Auburn.

But I can see how this is the magic ingredient.

It
Was
Coach
Speak.

Geez...

Victoria's Secret doesn't have as many twisted panties as this fanbase does. People need to stop and breathe for a second.
You may be right about "coach speak", but why didn't he just start Dobbs to begin with; I'm not saying we would have won, but he at least can move the chains some. And don't you know by now we are an emotional fan base and we're tired of losing. Irrational things will be said.

he should have started dobbs all along--they would have beat fla by 10+ --- what gives??

Dobbs didn't start this season because he sucks in practice.

Every single reporter who covers the Vols and actually watches practice has said that this season.

Reactions: 4 people
Well he looked pretty good last night. I know he made some mistakes, but he hasn't played all year. Do any of you guys really think Worley gives us a better chance to win at this point. He's not made for this type of offense, and it's obvious.

Who knows, Dobbs might have been going through the motions at practice if he was told he was red-shirting and was thinking about Aero-space labs and not what he could do to start.....

"Going through the motions" just might put a guy 3rd on the depth chart...

Classic flip floppers.
Dobbs was an interception throwing machine last year. So based on what we saw he was not the man. He has obviously improved, at least for this game. I base my opinions on evidence and what I have seen. If that's flip flopping, then I guess I'm a flip flopper.

Were the words of les miles after the win. It's that important him as a coach. I got to wondering why doesn't Butch want the players to view him this way. There is never a short yardage play we have up our sleeve for a fourth and short. Or a fake fg or punt at a critical time. Against Florida Muschamp made an aggressive decision to sit his veteran qb in favor of a young duel threat qb and they won because of it. We too had offensive struggles in that game but Butch wasn't willing to take a chance and put our athletic qb in the game. Muschamp also attempted a long fg late in that game to win where we punted at the same place in the field earlier in the game on fourth and short. Why didn't Butch send Dobbs out there in the uga game when worley was injured? Anyone that's seen Peterman play knew he wasn't going to get it done.
Butch has all the sayings... Here's the only one he needs to know. No guts no glory. We are a young team without much to lose. Lets go for broke these last few games. Oh by the way... Les miles (that man who above all else wants him team to see him as aggressive) is one of the only coaches in the country with a record of above 50% entering the fourth quarter while losing. Has Butch even won one game entering the fourth quarter behind? Not since he's been here. Note.. Please don't merge with the Florida game thread. This is a different topic

Les decided to mourn the passing of his mom after the big game, condolences to him and his family.

We do not have the talent LSU does or even FL does for that matter, YET BUT WE WILL. When we have the horses then it becomes a safer bet to gamble. You have to play the odds and hope they come out in your favor. But I do understand you concens.

I watched his presser and he didn't do anything wrong. He just isn't tipping his hand tulip much.

He was trying not to smile because he knows this team is close.

They will beat SC this weekend.

What the f*** is a "hand tulip"?

Reactions: 2 people
Coaches know more about our team than we do. All I'm saying.
Exactly! There is a reason and for the life of me I can't understand why that is so hard to understand. All we hear on this site is how good CBJ is etc. and so on and any criticism is viewed as simply negative. Yet, all these same people that want Dobbs to be the answer cannot trust in the fact that CBJ and staff have a reason.

You can't have it both ways.

None of you that are questioning the reasoning behind not wanting to play Dobbs have even the remotest of abilities to evaluate talent where it actually matters. Period.

The reason they do not want to play him right now will reveal itself at some point.

Well he looked pretty good last night. I know he made some mistakes, but he hasn't played all year. Do any of you guys really think Worley gives us a better chance to win at this point. He's not made for this type of offense, and it's obvious.
Yes, Worley is our best chance. At some point you have to be able to hit an open receiver. In this offense, you still have to be able to complete passes.

VN Store

Back