Richmond expects to start

Fingers

"My expectation is for me to start," said Richmond, who was ranked the nation's No. 55 overall prospect and No. 3 offensive tackle in the 247Sports Composite for the 2015 class.

"I feel like I can get in there and develop pretty good. I feel like I'm pretty good, and once I get the coaching that the college level offers, I think I can be ready Day One. I expect to start. I just feel like I've got the talent to do it, and the situation is good, and I'm going to try to take advantage of it."

"I don't want to say anything that will offend the older guys or anything. But I'm just going to go in there and work, and I expect to start."

Rich quotes via Ryan Callahan, 247

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 people
Well spoken. Martez Ivey (FL) has recognized/said/is expecting basically the same, with respect (there's a need for improvement).

Reactions: 2 people
If Jashon can start as a FR then Drew surely can. Drew has all the tools. A few practices facing Barnett, Tuttle & McKenzie should get him fired up. So let the competition begin.

The Hill will be a fun place this fall.

Reactions: 7 people
If he starts from Day 1 then that means he impressed at camp Barnett-style. Which sounds great to me.

Yeah but the cupboard is not exactly bare this year. I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks. If he vaults
right into the 1's I'll be shocked, but if he does we'll have good depth behind him, and he'll be poised to have
a sensational year.

I will be surprised if he can come in, learn the playbook, and get SEC physically ready by the first game. By game 4 it could be a different story. If he had been an early enrollee then I would expect him to start game 1.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope he is good enough to start. Let Kerb move to the right and let the others add depth. Would be a great situation for us.

I would be very surprised if that happened. The coaches I spoke with believed he would take a year or two of development before he was ready to start.

Reactions: 5 people
Well spoken. Martez Ivey (FL) has recognized/said/is expecting basically the same, with respect (there's a need for improvement).
I'm glad you mentioned that, Rex. You beat me to it, as I just pulled VN up and found this thread. Since Ivey committed to the gayduhs, sports pundits have been proclaiming he's the miraculous answer to their OL woes, due to their losing their veterans to graduation and the NFL. I doubt Ivey's that much further advanced than Richmond if, even, he's better than DR to start with. Most likely it'll take at least a half season for both of them to fully catch on to being an SEC LT. Nonetheless, I love Richmond's swagger and if he can win the starting spot, then let's consider UT's OL will be even that much farther ahead of Ivey and his bunch. If DR doesn't, then the Vols will still have a far more effective OL. Apparently one of CBJ's strengths is developing a great deal of confidence in these fellas. BTW: Is it me, or does the clock spin slower between January and September?

Reactions: 3 people
I would expect him to have that goal, we all know our OT have had the spring off since the experience DE have been injured. Time will tell and as we know you cant hide out on the end of the line, so great to see he has that attitude time to show out.

I believe Drew Richmond just put our OT's on notice.

Thanks Drew

sign CBJ

I'm sure Kahlil McKenzie expects the same, you just haven't heard it yet.

Reactions: 4 people
If he does start day 1, then good for that young man. If he's not ready, I hope he uses it as motivation to earn his spot on the line. Starting at skill positions as a true freshman in the SEC is one animal, starting in the trenches as a freshmen down south is a different one.

I'm sure that factored into his decision to pick UT-- the opportunity to start. Work hard, win the job and motivate everybody else to work hard to take it away-- sounds good to me!

So long as he knows he has to come in and bust his @ss in the weight room, in film study and on the practice field and that, regardless of his recruiting rank, he's entitled to nothing but a shot...

He'll probably be fine. This team can't handle premadonnas, it needs valid victorians with pocket presents like Dobbs.

Reactions: 6 people
"I feel like I can get in there and develop pretty good. I feel like I'm pretty good,...

Obviously he's grammatically challenged, so let's just hope that his time NOT in the classroom was spent in the weight room.

Reactions: 1 person
No doom and gloomers yet saying if he starts as a freshman, then our oline sucks?

"I feel like I can get in there and develop pretty good. I feel like I'm pretty good,...

Obviously he's grammatically challenged, so let's just hope that his time NOT in the classroom was spent in the weight room.

That's what you got from his quote? I've read much, much worse. Not saying he's Shakespeare, but your post is a stretch.

Reactions: 16 people
If he was a EE it wouldn't surprise me if he cracked the starting lineup. But it's going to be hard for him to learn the playbook and get the start this late in the summer.

If he was a EE it wouldn't surprise me if he cracked the starting lineup. But it's going to be hard for him to learn the playbook and get the start this late in the summer.

Jashon did it, and after switching from another position too. If Drew is physically ready (big if), it's not out of the question.

If Jashon can start as a FR then Drew surely can. Drew has all the tools. A few practices facing Barnett, Tuttle & McKenzie should get him fired up. So let the competition begin.

The Hill will be a fun place this fall.

If Coleman Thomas can start at tackle surely Drew can. Kyberson played poorly last yr at tackle too

VN Store

Back