Richmond expects to start

Good. He should expect to start.

As bad as the line was last year, we could have signed Hilary Swank at the tackle position and she would expect to start

Reactions: 1 person
I love his confidence; I just think he would have been wise to not say anything publicly before he even steps on campus.

Secondly, I keep reading that a freshman OL cannot possibly be ready to line up against SEC competition. What in the world do you think he will be facing at practice every day? After a few weeks of blocking (or trying to block) Barnett, MacKenzie, Tuttle, O'Brien, and LBs like JRM, I don't think he's going to be very surprised by what Oklahoma and SEC DL's throw at him.

Finally, I can't wait to see how DR will do in the Circle of Life drill against some of the names mentioned above. :hi:

I love his attitude,that is exactly what UT needs in this crop of freshmen,talented players with the right attitude

but,he is also a freshmen,and yes,I will say it again,that usually isn't good in the SEC,he may be the exception,but nobody really knows

like others have said,I do believe there will be an improvement on the OL,how big ?that is to be determined,

they do have another year in the S&C program,they have played quiet a bit of football together,so they should be a lot better

I would love to see them gel and have the freshmen red shirt this year,but that may not happen,best of luck to all the OL and a huge stay healthy this year for all of them
One mo' time, some of the recent history winningest teams in the SEC (especially against us) have somehow found a way to start talented freshman on their OLs. I'm talking UF, UGA, and Bammer. We need to get away from 20th century thinking and embrace the 21st! If a freshman can come in and play well enough to start, put him out there!

Uh, I counted 4 or 5 out of about 750 total plays with 0 bad snaps out of 750 plays. Fairly common for when a Center is taking on a Nose solo. We used the Guards to help out our tackles a lot last year too leaving the Centers in a one-on-one with the Nose (not a good idea).

For taller lineman like Thomas, typically a 6'6" lineman plays Tackle and on rare occasions Guard. The prototypical Center is 6'2"

Prototypical center at 6'2" is a myth. Centers in the SEC are on average 6'4" and 300+lbs. Starting centers last year for example: Florida 6'4", Kentucky 6'5", Alabama 6'5",LSU 6'4", MSU 6'4", Arkansas 6'4", Vanderbilt 6'4', Missouri 6'3", Auburn 6'3", Texas A&M 6'3" and outside the SEC: UCLA 6'4", USC 6'6", Baylor 6'5", Texas 6'4", Michigan 6'6", Miami 6'4", Washington 6'6", and Notre Dame 6'5".

I hope he is good enough to start. Heck, I hope every other newcomer is that good too.

But, having a true FR starting on the OL with UF and OU licking their chops does not excite me. We need to win early, not have FR take his lumps at the teams expense.
Not a fan of freshmen OLs (especially tackle) starting vs seasoned SEC competition.

You act like as if we have better options ahead of him. This isn't a freshman with a Derek Barnett or Curt Maggitt ahead of him. You know proven SEC star players. We have nothing but question marks at the OT position.

Prototypical center at 6'2" is a myth. Centers in the SEC are on average 6'4" and 300+lbs. Starting centers last year for example: Florida 6'4", Kentucky 6'5", Alabama 6'5",LSU 6'4", MSU 6'4", Arkansas 6'4", Vanderbilt 6'4', Missouri 6'3", Auburn 6'3", Texas A&M 6'3" and outside the SEC: UCLA 6'4", USC 6'6", Baylor 6'5", Texas 6'4", Michigan 6'6", Miami 6'4", Washington 6'6", and Notre Dame 6'5".

Myth?

2015 NFL Depth Charts By Position | Ourlads.com

Google is your friend and it's free...

Right this minute there are 17 starting centers in the NFL that are 6'3" and 4 starting centers that are 6'2"
Right this minute there are 34 more centers that aren't listed as starters but are on NFL rosters that are 6'3" or less. 11 are 6'2" and 4 are 6'1". I doubt Nick Saban or any other winning SEC coach are listing 6'4" or 6'5" as a requirement for greater success in that position. You might be thinking basketball... ?

You want a Tackle... go 6'5"
You want a Guard... go 6'3" to 6'4"
Center? you need a 6'3" 300lb fireplug who is smart and will wrestle a grizzly ALL DAY...

JMNSHOSTIFWIW

Uh, I counted 4 or 5 out of about 750 total plays with 0 bad snaps out of 750 plays. Fairly common for when a Center is taking on a Nose solo. We used the Guards to help out our tackles a lot last year too leaving the Centers in a one-on-one with the Nose (not a good idea).

For taller lineman like Thomas, typically a 6'6" lineman plays Tackle and on rare occasions Guard. The prototypical Center is 6'2"
The problem with this is that Crowder is not close to a legitimate 6'2. I've stood beside him, I'm exactly 6' 1/2". He's no taller than I am. He's definitely undersized for an SEC lineman.

That doesn't mean he can't be a great lineman by any means. Bama had a center a few years back who was 5'11 and won a Natty with him bc he was mean as hell and had good technique. But it is a disadvantage.

Are you one of these people?

49e.jpg

I can tell she wants to start also. So, yes. Want.

The problem with this is that Crowder is not close to a legitimate 6'2. I've stood beside him, I'm exactly 6' 1/2". He's no taller than I am. He's definitely undersized for an SEC lineman.

That doesn't mean he can't be a great lineman by any means. Bama had a center a few years back who was 5'11 and won a Natty with him bc he was mean as hell and had good technique. But it is a disadvantage.

Current roster at utsports.com has the following:
Marcus Jackson Ht: 6' 2" Wt: 308
Jashon Robertson Ht: 6' 3" Wt: 310
Mack Crowder Ht: 6' 2" Wt: 290

Aren't these measurements done only in gym shorts and bare feet? Are you suggesting that our coaches do not "verify that all information on a team's roster is accurate"? Isn't that NCAA violation? If so, Why would they do that as you are suggesting?

Current roster at utsports.com has the following:
Marcus Jackson Ht: 6' 2" Wt: 308
Jashon Robertson Ht: 6' 3" Wt: 310
Mack Crowder Ht: 6' 2" Wt: 290

Aren't these measurements done only in gym shorts and bare feet? Are you suggesting that our coaches do not "verify that all information on a team's roster is accurate"? Isn't that NCAA violation? If so, Why would they do that as you are suggesting?

It is not at all an NCAA violation to oversell heights and weights on a college roster. Most teams inflate their guys' numbers a bit. Notice how Hurd was listed as 6'3 last year, even though he was just as tall as Worley (listed 6'4) and taller than Dobbs (listed 6'3). The coaches could list Pig at 6'8 if they felt like it. It's not a big deal.

If things were as as you think they are, there would be no need to do height/weight measurements at the NFL combine (where almost all players show up at least a bit shorter than they were listed in college). CP went from 6'3 to about 6'1 5/8" when he entered the draft.

Or do you really think that all of our players are exactly a certain number of inches tall and nobody is 72.75 inches tall or 75.3 inches tall?

Maybe you're taller than you think. I'm 6'3" and I feel like he's taller than me. I know beyond any question that Mack is actually 6'2.5" and hit the scales at 296 yesterday morning.
UT doesn't shade height or weight. Period.

Maybe you're taller than you think. I'm 6'3" and I feel like he's taller than me. I know beyond any question that Mack is actually 6'2.5" and hit the scales at 296 yesterday morning.
UT doesn't shade height or weight. Period.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what his real height is when/if he gets a combine invite. I wouldn't hold my breath.

And regardless of what you say about them not shading height or weight, it happens. I'm not saying it's consciously done or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't put too much time or effort into being exactly precise. It doesn't really matter to the people in the program whether a guy is listed as an inch and a half too tall or short. If it did, then Hurd would be listed as taller than Dobbs.

Original post was only meant to say the weakest element of the Vols last year was the O-line, and the weakest elements of the O-line were at the center and tackle positions.

Original post was only meant to say the weakest element of the Vols last year was the O-line, and the weakest elements of the O-line were at the center and tackle positions.

LOL. You've been pointed out on Volnation as a Troll by probably 50 people. The original post is about Richmond expecting to Start at Tackle and coming in with the right attitude.

LOL. You've been pointed out on Volnation as a Troll by probably 50 people. The original post is about Richmond expecting to Start at Tackle and coming in with the right attitude.

My original response to the post was starting Richmond at LT if he is as good as expected, with Blair at RT, and Thomas at center. Nothing at all to do with trolling.

I hope he is good enough to start. Heck, I hope every other newcomer is that good too.

But, having a true FR starting on the OL with UF and OU licking their chops does not excite me. We need to win early, not have FR take his lumps at the teams expense.

Not a fan of freshmen OLs (especially tackle) starting vs seasoned SEC competition.

My expectation is that he will start at some point this year. My concern is that it will be after the OU or UF game when Kerby is embarrassed. He needs to get his lumps in the first few games before we go to UF.

that people think kerb wont start is silly to me. Worst case he moves inside to guard or RT but he will start

don't blame us for hoping someone better rises. i have no confidence in kerbyson being the answer.
Having reservations about kerb at left tackle I can kind of see.. but he is flat out one of if not the best o-linemen we have. He is hurt by his versatility and the fact we are so deep at guard and thin at tackle experience wise.

Richmonds confidence impresses me, but I also worry what happens if he comes in and is not as developed as we or he hoped? If the light comes on for Blair, he will be hard to beat out and then its all about the kids mental fortitude (Richmond) will he pout if he is asked to redshirt/backup? Or will he be pushed to work harder? Best case scenario for us is that veterans from last year step up and we have no need to play any of the new guys. Dline is different, as those guys rotate a lot. a good oline stays on the feild pretty much all game with the 2nd team only coming in for cleanup duty.

Having reservations about kerb at left tackle I can kind of see.. but he is flat out one of if not the best o-linemen we have. He is hurt by his versatility and the fact we are so deep at guard and thin at tackle experience wise.

Richmonds confidence impresses me, but I also worry what happens if he comes in and is not as developed as we or he hoped? If the light comes on for Blair, he will be hard to beat out and then its all about the kids mental fortitude (Richmond) will he pout if he is asked to redshirt/backup? Or will he be pushed to work harder? Best case scenario for us is that veterans from last year step up and we have no need to play any of the new guys. Dline is different, as those guys rotate a lot. a good oline stays on the feild pretty much all game with the 2nd team only coming in for cleanup duty.
What I'm really hoping for is DeBord using his experience and expertise with OLs, to simplify the schemes specifically for the OT positions so some of these youngsters can come oin and contribute quickly. I think our returning OL guys are going to be somewhat better, but they just do not have the talent levels to play like we need, hence these youngsters stepping in and up. Crowder may hang on bu\t would not surprise me much to see the rest of that offensive front to be sophs and frosh by years end perhaps Blair in there as well.

Until proven otherwise, our OL is trash. Hope they learned a lot over the off season... They alone will be the difference in 7-5 or 9-3.

Anyone else get the annoying bleacher report update about this sent to your phone like 2 days after this thread was started?

I got excited thinking there was actual news.

Butch on the Vols' OL ...

“On the offensive front, we had some individuals who gained some valuable experience. You could see that kind of manifesting itself throughout the course of spring. You could see that confidence. You could see a change in strength levels. You could see a change in maturity, and also just in football knowledge.”

VN Store

Back