⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

0-0 at the half. No Runyon or Thomas. Mac Midgley is definitely the leader of this team. Ella Giannola has also impressed with her defensive efforts. Sheridan Michel remains a really steady presence on the back line, and Zazarra has been really decisive and appropriately aggressive.

Reactions: turbovol and MAD
0-0 at the half. No Runyon or Thomas. Mac Midgley is definitely the leader of this team. Ella Giannola has also impressed with her defensive efforts. Sheridan Michel remains a really steady presence on the back line, and Zazarra has been really decisive and appropriately aggressive.

How did Cuneio--the big centerback whom might have started with Michel---look? Thanks.

Reactions: MAD and brittannica
Mad, man: I've been mad about this WBB hire. I wasn't a big fan of Harper, as you know--she wasn't a poor coach but wasn't good either--and felt strongly that we FINALLY needed to get an experienced winner as coach. This had to be the time to go big, no? Wrong! White went small--very small!He not only didn't get an experienced major coach, but a coach who's only one year out from Div. II, that a season at a mid-major. The ultimate reach, the ultimate high risk, high reward. Pretty shocking, really. I wonder if any major BB or football program has hired someone with so little experience. It's probably happened--but extremely rare if it's happened at all. I'm miffed because, despite falling out of national title contention for a long time, we remain a high-profile WBB program. No high-profile men's BB program would hire somebody with so little experience. Oh, well! At least we got a spring win in soccer!

Reactions: MAD and brittannica
My impression was mixed. She did a great job defensively, intercepting passes, making tackles, etc. Her passing out of the back leaves something to be desired. It’s fairly apparent Zazarra preferentially passes to Michel for good reason. Cuneio
passed the ball to a Clemson player multiple times. Could just be reflective of early days with the team?

Reactions: MAD
My impression was mixed. She did a great job defensively, intercepting passes, making tackles, etc. Her passing out of the back leaves something to be desired. It’s fairly apparent Zazarra preferentially passes to Michel for good reason. Cuneio
passed the ball to a Clemson player multiple times. Could just be reflective of early days with the team?

Thanks your impression of Cuneio. Let's hope any errant passing is the result of working with new players and a new team. It's not
something you want from anybody--most especially your centerbacks.

Who besides Midgley scored our goals? Maybe the Beacon will write up the game. Let's see.

Thanks your impression of Cuneio. Let's hope any errant passing is the result of working with new players and a new team. It's not
something you want from anybody--most especially your centerbacks.

Who besides Midgley scored our goals? Maybe the Beacon will write up the game. Let's see.
The second was Kayla Barr in her first fifteen minutes back from an ACL tear, so there was much rejoicing from everyone. That was cleanup from a Mac Midgley shot that was deflected by the Clemson GK. The third (I think) was Latino, but I was distracted and don’t quite recall. It was a header off a corner, I think. Both were very nice goals. The App State game we created a lot of chances and failed to convert. Definitely felt like we made better use of our chances this game against a tougher opponent.

Reactions: MAD and turbovol
And in fact, as luck would have it, the Beacon did write up today's soccer match.

It's only a spring game, but as Kirt notes, Clemson was in the College Cup a few months back and has a strong program--they're very well coached. So it's got to give a lift to the team. Very nice to read that Barr is healthy and scored a goal--her highlight tape from year before last was impressive--and without even seeing her yet my bet is that she'll get minutes and help this team. Also very nice to hear that Cuneio scored on a header off a corner. She's tall and sturdy--and she could potentially be a scoring threat on corners.

I wonder why neither Runyon or Thomas didn't play. Thomas needs to get fit after not playing last year. Maybe they kept Runyon out protectively and to give other players an opportunity to show their qualities. The CF situation, with the two of them, is going to be a complication for the coaches in the fall, for sure. I think we'll have three young players who may be good enough to get significant minutes at wide forward next season--and need them to develop: Greiner--very speedy and hard-working, who played some last year at CF; and two freshmen--Mattern and Barr. Then we have three vets--Runyon, Thomas and transfer forward Sammi Woods, who was a goal-scorer for Michigan. How the coaches mix and match that group will be important. Knowing Kirt, I predict he'll try to make Runyon a wide player on the right, with Thomas in the middle, if she's healthy, and Woods on the left. The young players would spell the vets. Would there be chemistry? The key question. I doubt it will happen early as Woods won't arrive untl late July training camp, and I'm not sure if Thomas has played at all this spring or with Runyon. We've simply got to have more forward talent, cohesion and production than we had last year.

In late July it's going to be crazy--and likely frustrating for some--when 10 new players show up for fall camp who are not here for spring training. There /will be/ a lot of talent. As always the question will be can the coaches find the best players, put them in the right spots, and build a strong team.

IMG_7362.jpeg

d1chattanooga

We’re excited to invite you to our upcoming event: “Kickin’ it with Lady Vols” Soccer Clinic, featuring Ally Brown and Macaira Midgley. We hosted a similar event last spring, and this promises to be another fantastic opportunity for young athletes to learn from some of the best players in collegiate soccer and to be inspired by their skills and dedication.

Here are the event details:
- Date: Friday, May 10th
- Time: 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
-Ages: 5-15

Ally Brown and Mac Midgley are sure to bring their own unique expertise and passion for the game to this year’s clinic. Participants will have the chance to not only improve their soccer skills but also engage in a meet-and-greet session with these incredible athletes.

Don’t miss out on this exciting opportunity!

Once again, we’ll have coaches from the Chattanooga Red Wolves Academy and Soccer Shots assisting with the clinic to ensure that participants receive top-notch instruction and guidance.

Ready to secure your spot? Click on the link below to register now:

We can’t wait to see you there and make more unforgettable memories on the field together! If you have any questions or need further information, feel free to reach out to us.

Here’s our flyer for the event, and a few pics from a similar clinic we hosted with a few Lady Vols last spring.​

Mad, man: I've been mad about this WBB hire. I wasn't a big fan of Harper, as you know--she wasn't a poor coach but wasn't good either--and felt strongly that we FINALLY needed to get an experienced winner as coach. This had to be the time to go big, no? Wrong! White went small--very small!He not only didn't get an experienced major coach, but a coach who's only one year out from Div. II, that a season at a mid-major. The ultimate reach, the ultimate high risk, high reward. Pretty shocking, really. I wonder if any major BB or football program has hired someone with so little experience. It's probably happened--but extremely rare if it's happened at all. I'm miffed because, despite falling out of national title contention for a long time, we remain a high-profile WBB program. No high-profile men's BB program would hire somebody with so little experience. Oh, well! At least we got a spring win in soccer!
Feeling better yet?

IMG_7375.jpeg

Reactions: jeebie
My partner told me I should work on my coaching license since apparently it’s easy to fall into a coaching gig here now 😭😭😭

VN Store

Back