13 of 14 SEC Teams are going bowling

If Tillman could have found a few more inches, we'd have finished 2nd in the East. (And to think that Florida had only two conference wins, and we were one of them . . .)
Yeah but you can’t get hung up on that game. Bth teams were way different back then. We were still starting Milton and and they were still playing great with a 2 QB rotation. We also had a couple players already hurt. It sucks but it is what it is. I think next year we have a chance to embarrass them, though.

Yeah but you can’t get hung up on that game. Bth teams were way different back then. We were still starting Milton and and they were still playing great with a 2 QB rotation. We also had a couple players already hurt. It sucks but it is what it is. I think next year we have a chance to embarrass them, though.

Don't say that.

The funny thing is that 3 of those 6-win teams (LSU, Mizzou, SCe) basically made a bowl game because Florida collapsed. If Florida doesn't fall apart, there are only 10 bowl-eligible teams in the SEC.
S Carolina, Mizzou and Florida made it with their win over Vandy. Guess that is Vandy's contribution to the Conference.

13 are eligible but there are only 10 bowl games with SEC tie-ins.

Assuming UGA makes the CFP, that still leaves 2 schools looking for a bowl outside of the standard SEC package. It will be interesting to see where the 2 additional spots are found.
Grateful for the Kentucky win. That 7th win will guarantee us a pretty good bowl.

Looking at that reinforces just how weak the SEC East really is. We should give the SEC West 3/4 of all money each year and all but Georgia take the table scraps.

I posted this in another forum yesterday. I am not sure if this makes the SEC looked strong as several teams had to choke to cause this result such as A&M against LSU or Auburn against South Carolina. Seems like the SEC is full of mediocre teams in 2021.

I'm sorry but being at .500 and going to a bowl game is participation trophy scenario. Watered down football. Pitiful.
I get what youre saying. But when you look at the college landscape. There arent many off weeks where you can sit back and lets some starters chill for rest or to get youngsters rest. These teams and these SEC venues make it different. Every year the NFL draft is loaded by SEC players. The recruiting classes in rankings are overwhelmingly SEC in top 15. Yes we laugh when Bama has to struggle at Auburn. But Auburn would probably be a 9 win team in another league. And to your point 6 win teams in general in SEC would probably be 8 or 9 win teams.

So while maybe we dont root for our rivals the overall respect of winning enough games to make a bowl isn't anything to sneeze at.

Its a great business model for Vanderbilt as long as they keep pulling it off
Vandy is s baseball school. I’m thankful UT has turned a corner and is a winner in pretty much every sport. Baseball, Men’s Basketball, Golf, women’s softball and soccer. Our football team earned us some respect this year. Kellie has Lady Vols playing well.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
If Tillman could have found a few more inches, we'd have finished 2nd in the East. (And to think that Florida had only two conference wins, and we were one of them . . .)

I know you’re not laying it at Tillman’s feet, but before that was even an issue, if we had competent SEC refs that understood exactly what they saw on our scoop and score and ruled it as the touchdown that it was….ugh! Sure would feel even better right now.

Are we talking about the Ole Miss game? Thought Hooker started and played most of that game till Milton ran out of bounds on the last play.

I know you’re not laying it at Tillman’s feet, but before that was even an issue, if we had competent SEC refs that understood exactly what they saw on our scoop and score and ruled it as the touchdown that it was….ugh! Sure would feel even better right now.

Yes, I just meant to convey how very close to victory we were at the end of that game; I didn't mean in any way to criticize Tillman, whose effort this year has been irreproachable.

You're right to mention the strip-six -- it would have been a huge swing of momentum (and points) in our favor.

Reactions: Vol737
I'm sorry but being at .500 and going to a bowl game is participation trophy scenario. Watered down football. Pitiful.
You do not seem to understand that the bowls were always money grab exhibitions. Outside of the important bowls, they only serve to bring in money.

Reactions: Jbob1871
You do not seem to understand that the bowls were always money grab exhibitions. Outside of the important bowls, they only serve to bring in money.
Pretty negative post there. I’ve been to a lot of bowls and enjoyed every one and everyone. Did someone make money sure. Compared to national politics and corporate greed, football is small change. I am sure our fans and team are looking forward to a bowl game after years sitting at home. Sure is a bitterly mean and negative Vol Nation this morning given we just celebrated thanksgiving. I’ll keep y’all boo birds in my prayers.

VN Store

Back