'16 FL WR Brandon Johnson (UT commit 9/2/15)

I wouldn't be pushing my luck either if I were him.

Really who wants a top 300 player in the country.

“This weekend, I got to look at the campus life from a different perspective,” said Johnson, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 291 overall prospect and No. 49 wide receiver in the 2016 class."

“No more visits,” said Johnson, who has been committed to Tennessee since Sept. 2. “Really, I’m just right now playing basketball. But, after that, working out and getting ready to go up to Tennessee.

“Nothing I needed to see (this weekend). Really, I already knew this was the place.”

Reactions: 5 people
Really who wants a top 300 player in the country.

“This weekend, I got to look at the campus life from a different perspective,” said Johnson, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 291 overall prospect and No. 49 wide receiver in the 2016 class."

“No more visits,” said Johnson, who has been committed to Tennessee since Sept. 2. “Really, I’m just right now playing basketball. But, after that, working out and getting ready to go up to Tennessee.

“Nothing I needed to see (this weekend). Really, I already knew this was the place.”

Ask Marques Ford if being a top 300 player will save you from being dropped.

Reactions: 2 people
How high were those Bowling Green WRs ranked? I would think a kid ranked 49th out of tens of thousands, has enough ability to be on our team.

Reactions: 1 person
If you look at the DE the Vols had last year committed and what was on the roster you can see why Ford was asked to look around.Johnson is a need with all the WRs the Vols use in the offense and with what WRs will be gone.

If you look at the DE the Vols had last year committed and what was on the roster you can see why Ford was asked to look around.Johnson is a need with all the WRs the Vols use in the offense and with what WRs will be gone.

I can understand that but look at the number of receivers we seem to be still actively recruiting this late. I wouldn't be giving the coaches any reason to doubt my commitment.

I can understand that but look at the number of receivers we seem to be still actively recruiting this late. I wouldn't be giving the coaches any reason to doubt my commitment.

I don't think it matters. If they want to take someone else, they will and visits don't affect that. We've seen too many dropped who were not taking visits.

Besides Corey Henderson would probably be dropped before this guy. I think this kid is very underrated, and will be good. Had some solid offers.

Besides Corey Henderson would probably be dropped before this guy. I think this kid is very underrated, and will be good. Had some solid offers.

Henderson is a slot guy. I think it's swap one for one if they do something like that.

They get Callaway or Victor and it's likely Johnson out if they have to drop soneone.

If they get Jones, or another slot guy it's Henderson gone if they need to drop someone.

I think things stay as they are and they just add Jones. Victor, Callaway, and Richards I think go to other schools.

George, Johnson, Henderson, and Jones if they get him would be a decent WR class.

Henderson is a slot guy. I think it's swap one for one if they do something like that.

They get Callaway or Victor and it's likely Johnson out if they have to drop soneone.

If they get Jones, or another slot guy it's Henderson gone if they need to drop someone.

I think things stay as they are and they just add Jones. Victor, Callaway, and Richards I think go to other schools.

George, Johnson, Henderson, and Jones if they get him would be a decent WR class.

I agree, Leb.

Reactions: 5 people
I think this kid is very underrated, and will be good. Had some solid offers.

Johnson committed to Tennessee over scholarship offers from several schools, including Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Clemson and Miami. He said his recruitment has been quiet since he went public with his decision in September.

“Schools, for the most part, shut it down after I committed,” Johnson said.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/vols-wr-commit-sees-different-side-of-tennessee-on-official-visit

I wonder if his lack of production this season contributed to his "quiet" recruitment from other programs? He hadn't put up huge numbers in earlier years, but his senior numbers were surprisingly modest for an SEC-caliber prospect.

2013: 20 catches for 365 yards (18.3 avg) & 6 TDs
2014: 19 catches for 430 yards (22.6 avg) & 7 TDs
2015: 20 catches for 237 yards (11.9 avg) & 3 TDs. Long of 23 yards...team's 3rd-leading receiver...had 1 carry for -3 yards, no KO or punt returns.

Johnson committed to Tennessee over scholarship offers from several schools, including Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Clemson and Miami. He said his recruitment has been quiet since he went public with his decision in September.

“Schools, for the most part, shut it down after I committed,” Johnson said.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/vols-wr-commit-sees-different-side-of-tennessee-on-official-visit

I wonder if his lack of production this season contributed to his "quiet" recruitment from other programs? He hadn't put up huge numbers in earlier years, but his senior numbers were surprisingly modest for an SEC-caliber prospect.

2013: 20 catches for 365 yards (18.3 avg) & 6 TDs
2014: 19 catches for 430 yards (22.6 avg) & 7 TDs
2015: 20 catches for 237 yards (11.9 avg) & 3 TDs. Long of 23 yards...team's 3rd-leading receiver...had 1 carry for -3 yards, no KO or punt returns.

You are being very generous by calling Johnson's senior statistics as "modest". I would be extremely surprised if Johnson had committable offers from UGA, LSU, Ole Miss, or Clemson. Butch Jones & staff are obviously some of the best in the business at evaluating & discovering talent, but there are a few head-scratchers on the commitment list for this class (including Johnson). We will see how it unfolds. Anything can happen in college football, but it is uncomforting to see UT sign such underwhelming, lower-rated WR prospects when UT's current roster of Wide-Receivers (full of 5* & 4* prospects) can't seem to produce at a high level in UT's offense.

Johnson seems to be the type who will make his cuts and catches, competing and winning instead of slacking and whiffing. I want a guy who will make the important play, and let's face it; in big games they are all important. What numbers did our four and five star receivers put up this year?

You are being very generous by calling Johnson's senior statistics as "modest". I would be extremely surprised if Johnson had committable offers from UGA, LSU, Ole Miss, or Clemson. Butch Jones & staff are obviously some of the best in the business at evaluating & discovering talent, but there are a few head-scratchers on the commitment list for this class (including Johnson). We will see how it unfolds. Anything can happen in college football, but it is uncomforting to see UT sign such underwhelming, lower-rated WR prospects when UT's current roster of Wide-Receivers (full of 5* & 4* prospects) can't seem to produce at a high level in UT's offense.

Agree. Doug Mathews hinted that we will drop about 3 commitments and only take 20 in the class. May have a Blue Shirt as well.

It's possible his offense doesn't throw much. I like Johnson potential more than our other guys like George and Henderson. he isn't the level that we have recruited but we aren't having any luck with those guys

It's possible his offense doesn't throw much. I like Johnson potential more than our other guys like George and Henderson. he isn't the level that we have recruited but we aren't having any luck with those guys

His QB last year was Torrance Gibson. They were breaking in a new QB. I have no clue how much they threw it.

His QB last year was Torrance Gibson. They were breaking in a new QB. I have no clue how much they threw it.

yeah judging a HS kid by his stats isn't the way to go. I have seen many kids put up ridiculous stats in HS but it was because of system and competition then they didn't do anything in college. The staffs reaction to his commitment tells me they really like his potential. Bob Welton went crazy on Twitter about it

yeah judging a HS kid by his stats isn't the way to go. I have seen many kids put up ridiculous stats in HS but it was because of system and competition then they didn't do anything in college. The staffs reaction to his commitment tells me they really like his potential. Bob Welton went crazy on Twitter about it

:good!:

When I started watching Johnson's father at Miami, I thought he was over hyped. He just did not stand out as a great athlete. But over time I noticed that he was consistent and reliable. He seemed to play for the team more than personal glory. He had the talent, but his great value was quiet dedication to doing his job. Teams need guys like that, and Brando comes across that way. If his tape shows he makes the plays and our coaches want him, I would not discount the guy.

VN Store

Back