'16 FL WR Brandon Johnson (UT commit 9/2/15)

It's possible his offense doesn't throw much. I like Johnson potential more than our other guys like George and Henderson. he isn't the level that we have recruited but we aren't having any luck with those guys

I truly believe we'll end up surprised how well George will play in this offense.

Reactions: 1 person
There are a few guys on our commitment list that make me scratch my head. But I actually like this kid, despite the underwhelming HS statistics.

He looks like he needs some serious time in our S&C program, but I like his length and athleticism and I like his ability to catch away from his body. I think he's a very solid prospect with very nice upside.

I truly believe we'll end up surprised how well George will play in this offense.

Hope so. I don't have much faith in big WRs succeeding for us though. He isn't as talented as North/Malone/Jennings/Williams and they ain't done jack. The WRs that do good are the 6"1 and below guys.

Hope so. I don't have much faith in big WRs succeeding for us though. He isn't as talented as North/Malone/Jennings/Williams and they ain't done jack. The WRs that do good are the 6"1 and below guys.

Might hold true with Dobbs current comfort level, tho I wonder how him throwing downfield off a play action pass out of the offset I will affect things.

Can't really say anything about Jennings or Williams, both are freshman. They still have 3 years. Malone played solid for a sophomore, give him some time. Not every player has a breakout year as a freshman.

Johnson committed to Tennessee over scholarship offers from several schools, including Arkansas, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Clemson and Miami. He said his recruitment has been quiet since he went public with his decision in September.

“Schools, for the most part, shut it down after I committed,” Johnson said.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/vols-wr-commit-sees-different-side-of-tennessee-on-official-visit

I wonder if his lack of production this season contributed to his "quiet" recruitment from other programs? He hadn't put up huge numbers in earlier years, but his senior numbers were surprisingly modest for an SEC-caliber prospect.

2013: 20 catches for 365 yards (18.3 avg) & 6 TDs
2014: 19 catches for 430 yards (22.6 avg) & 7 TDs
2015: 20 catches for 237 yards (11.9 avg) & 3 TDs. Long of 23 yards...team's 3rd-leading receiver...had 1 carry for -3 yards, no KO or punt returns.

His JR. Year Hudl has 11 TD catches in the film. Makes you wonder if all his stats are turned in. Not that I would know.

Can't really say anything about Jennings or Williams, both are freshman. They still have 3 years. Malone played solid for a sophomore, give him some time. Not every player has a breakout year as a freshman.

I should have prefaced, it's not because they don't have ability. It's because I don't think staff knows what to do with bigger WR. I might can count on my hand how many balls were thrown to Jennings past line of scrimmage. Williams I completely give both staff and him pass. He is clearly talented and will be good if coaches get him ball. They couldn't give him much due to injuries in terms of plays.

They've done nothing? Malone and Williams made big plays in the UGA game. Malone caught a deep ball versus Kentucky and played better than he's given credit for this year(even though he left a lot of plays on the field). North usage was horrid but he kinda won the SCAR game as a freshman. Williams will be fine he's a freshman. If coaches would scheme better our guys would be much better.

They've done nothing? Malone and Williams made big plays in the UGA game. Malone caught a deep ball versus Kentucky and played better than he's given credit for this year(even though he left a lot of plays on the field). North usage was horrid but he kinda won the SCAR game as a freshman. Williams will be fine he's a freshman. If coaches would scheme better our guys would be much better.

Man I couldn't agree more. That's been my biggest beef is that we don't create and exploit mismatches in the passing game.

In defense of the other position, you're pointing out single plays, not consistent production. Which I believe is what people are arguing. North's saving grace of production is 2 big catches; USC and UGA. Outside of that we haven't seen much.

They aren't consistent but i mentioned in a later post it's not because they aren't talented. It's because I don't think the coaches know how to use them at the moment. Williams was more injury than anything. They have all the skills to be stars but unless the staff does some serious tweaks in pass game they won't do much next yr either.

IMO next yr. Williams needs to be the deep ball guy not Malone. Malone drops or gives up on 9 out of 10 deep balls. Malone needs more routes that put him in space and let him run after catch. I'd give Jennings a shot at some jump balls that dude can get up and is tough as nails but he should probably really be on defense. Smith should be slot.

They aren't consistent but i mentioned in a later post it's not because they aren't talented. It's because I don't think the coaches know how to use them at the moment. Williams was more injury than anything. They have all the skills to be stars but unless the staff does some serious tweaks in pass game they won't do much next yr either.

IMO next yr. Williams needs to be the deep ball guy not Malone. Malone drops or gives up on 9 out of 10 deep balls. Malone needs more routes that put him in space and let him run after catch. I'd give Jennings a shot at some jump balls that dude can get up and is tough as nails but he should probably really be on defense. Smith should be slot.

I agree. Malone just isn't a jump ball guy. He should be the intermediate route guy next year (along with Smith) and Williams and Jennings (assuming he stays at WR) are the guys we should give a chance to go up and fight for the ball.

I love how you guys all know how to better use our wrs than our coaching staff.

The numbers say we probably aren't wrong in this case. It's pretty obvious with our WRs we are trying to fit players into a scheme instead of fitting a scheme around the players.

I love how you guys all know how to better use our wrs than our coaching staff.

I'm no expert by any means. Just giving an opinion based on what I saw in games this year. :hi:

I'm sure the coaches have a much better idea of what our players can and can't do. I just hope they do a better job of putting that knowledge into action on Saturdays in 2016.

I know its off topic here but I have two reasons for our inept passing game this year:

1. Debord saw our strength early and that was running. That was what they chose to develop and rely on.
2. Dobbs is not a downfield passer. At least on a consistent basis. It is what it is.
3. Our WRs have talent and I think overall they are place in a position to succeed but you have a run first team and a QB that is not tasked with delivering the ball to the WRs very often.

I know its off topic here but I have two reasons for our inept passing game this year:

1. Debord saw our strength early and that was running. That was what they chose to develop and rely on.
2. Dobbs is not a downfield passer. At least on a consistent basis. It is what it is.
3. Our WRs have talent and I think overall they are place in a position to succeed but you have a run first team and a QB that is not tasked with delivering the ball to the WRs very often.

Why was Josh Smith outside and Pearson inside? Pearson isn't this speedster that can break on the fly sweeps.

VN Store

Back