200-106 vs 61-41

and that's fine too Chris, but I don't think the points I made are unreasonable.
The tourney was there for the taking even in the first year. Bad losses and coaching blew it.

I'm sure you already realize this, but nowhere near the majority of fans, media, or coaches remotely expected us to be in that position. I certainly didn't either. Plenty of things to be disappointed about that year, but it's a crime to call it an underachievement IMO. Much more so applies to the next year even though we unexpectedly lost our leader and most proven player to that point.

Could we have done better in year 1? Absolutely, no doubt about it. Would it have been reasonable to expect us to do as well as we did? Probably not. There were not many factors that led one to believe we would even finish in the top half of the SEC, let alone get to the NCAA bubble.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sure you already realize this, but nowhere near the majority of fans, media, or coaches remotely expected us to be in that position. I certainly didn't either. Plenty of things to be disappointed about that year, but it's a crime to call it an underachievement IMO. Much more so applies to the next year even though we unexpectedly lost our leader and most proven player to that point.

Could we have done better in year 1? Absolutely, no doubt about it. Would it have been reasonable to expect us to do as well as we did? Probably not. There were not many factors that led one to believe we would even finish in the top half of the SEC, let alone get to the NCAA bubble.

after a tumultuous ending, ncaa issue, probation, and coaching change, nobody was going to put UT anywhere. Like you said, we just disagree. I don't think its a crime to think Martin could've pulled out 3-4 more wins with coaching moves during games.

Our overall record was more reflective of a team that finished in the bottom half of the league rather than in the top half.

Georiga finished #3 in the SEC this year but I can't imagine anyone really thinks they were the 3rd best team in the league. I would place them 6th at best.

We finished 2nd in the SEC via the tie breaker in his first year, but I think that we were the 6th or 7th best team in the league that year at best. We finished with the same overall record as the 9th place team.

yeah, pretty sure I addressed that
If he exceeded expectations in year one by losing for the first time ever to Austin Peay, then expectations were exceedingly low. The Martin lead Vols were 3-5 at the time, Wowser. . . and lost the next game to College of Charleston. Exceeding expectations one loss at a time.

Last edited:
his first year exceeded expectations. Not sure there's much debate over that if you look at where they were predicted to finish. His second year was a disappointment but this past year he finished about where everyone figured. People put way too much emphasis on individual games in basketball

my comments had nothing to do with the new HC

His first year he also had a 5 star show up and save us. The team was failing hard before that.

Donnie Tyndall comes to Tennessee with a 200-106 coaching record while Cuonzo Martin came with a 61-41 coaching record. Quite an improvement by Dave Hart for Vol fans on a limited budget ($1.9 million reserve)!

You know what bugs me? On the day the former football coach was fired, it stood at 1.9 million. Are they not getting any interest on it at all? Don't get me wrong, I am glad it isn't smaller, but how does that fund not grow at all? I don't get it!

Underachieved for 85-90% of his tenure here, never got fired up on the sidelines or fought for his team (see maymon's technical for example), couldn't take the pressure when he started failing and got extremely lucky so he was able to move down to a worse program to avoid being fired or pressured more.

Oh, and the whole, leaving without telling his players thing. (sure he came back after, but that's like having your friend file divorce papers for you and your wife then talking to her after the trial).

Take your pick. I'm sure others could chime in for more.

I would like you to explain how taking over a program that was in shambles and picked to finish at the bottom of the sec then finishing 2nd is underachieving?

Why wouldn't it count?

He was the head coach, right?
I wish Coach Tyndall nothing but the best in his quest in coaching in the SEC. However, I am not sure his accomplishments in the lower division has much merit on what he will do at Tennessee. We should get a good idea of his ability this coming year as the schedule is very impressive. Good luck my friend, you will need it.

VN Store

Back