2020 is Our Year Because...

Lets worry about 2019 first, which I think the Defense and Offense will be improved. However, we should temper our expectations, our talent levels are still bottom of SEC at this time. Some good players mixed into a bag of average players......We should expect the development and depth by position to be much better by 2020, but who knows what could happen between now and then................

This thread was actually also in response to people who believe this year is the year which I think is an unfair expectation. However, I do not think the next year is for app the reasons listed. Hence my pointing to the next year. Like someone said, I still have hopes for improvement this year.

Ya know, back in the '30's, there was this great optimism from those out in the southern part of the Mid-West. Their slogan was "well, there is next year". So, when the great dust clouds started coming, they held on for next year. And, the next. Then, the next. Still, no no rain and no crops. But, after 10 years of next year, the rains finally came. The dust subsided and wala, crops again.

So, I say, why not 2020! Or, even 2019!

Yeah has happened here too lol, I think there are plenty reasons why it won’t be this year and will be next! I listed the whys!

Yep. That's a sad commentary on some "fans" expectations. This year is THE year that the pendulum swings back to the BIG ORANGE!
I just don’t see it. Younger team, more experienced, proven competition than 2020c, but I would love to be wrong!

I'd say that 2020 would be the year two for a new head coach. This is how much CJP is having to work to build this program. And honestly we should be believing a lot of what fulmer says he isn't sugar coating it and neither is CJP but it seems Fulmer talks more to the press than CJP does.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Funny... People said the same thing about Josh Dobbs.

I hope JG is here at least one year after this one.

Haynes/King both have extremely high ceilings, but I would rather not have one or the other start as a Frosh. And I don't think Maurer or Shrout are going to ever be a day 1 starter here...
I think you meant Bailey/King as Haynes and King are one in the same. I somewhat agree with your prediction of Shrout (I say somewhat because you just never know)but all I seen that Maurer needs to improve is his decision making. Accuracy is there, pocket awareness is there, ability to escape is there, energy and leadership are there. If he learns not to trust his arm too much he could surprise a lot of people. I actually feel like he's the one we'll regret letting go the most in the future if it came to that.

2020 will be Pruitt's third year; and if a coach is going to be really successful, the third year will show it. It doesn't matter what other teams have or do, it's about TENNESSEE and Pruitt being the right guy right here right now. All indications are that he is.

2020 will be Pruitt's third year; and if a coach is going to be really successful, the third year will show it. It doesn't matter what other teams have or do, it's about TENNESSEE and Pruitt being the right guy right here right now. All indications are that he is.

I wish people would stop with this nonsense.

Has anyone ever stopped to think about Dooley's third year and how the end of the season with Bray & Co. did him in? He knew he had to win out and make a bowl to save his job. Everyone knew that. Had Bray & Co not thrown the Vandy game and we won, then carried on and beat Kentucky and went bowling, Dooley probably would have had another year.

Seems that people keep forgetting that!

I mean, if we keep predicting a year to be our year, at some point we'll be right. Broken clocks and all that.

We have habitually made back-up QBs, inexperienced freshman, and otherwise mediocre players and coaches on opposing teams look excellent due to our own bumbling and incompetence. I think (hope) that those days are behind us with Pruitt and company. This staff can coach football. However, due to Battered Fan Syndrome, I am not yet able to say the "this is the year we're back" type of thing. We SHOULD see noticeable gains THIS season (2019) and, yes, by 2020 we should be in the mix for the SEC East. But we've seen this before. The on-the-field results this season will be a great indicator.

LMAO at people projecting Ty Chandler going pro after this season. Given his lack of production in actual games to-date, this guy is astonishingly overhyped.

When he has had a crease the guy can make plays running and catching the ball. He has had poor O line support his first two years. I could see him getting drafted but he will better blocking from his o line so his numbers improve.

Funny... People said the same thing about Josh Dobbs.

I hope JG is here at least one year after this one.

Haynes/King both have extremely high ceilings, but I would rather not have one or the other start as a Frosh. And I don't think Maurer or Shrout are going to ever be a day 1 starter here...
Yup not many thought Dobbs had a chance at pro. I'm not the hugest jg fan, but need to give the kid a break. He's had the worst o-line in the sec to work with not to mention musical chairs of coaches. If the o-line improves this year and even more in 2020 I think he definitely has a shot in the NFL. As for Maurer and Shrout, we simply don't know. I haven't seen enough of them. Im not sold on Shroud, but Maurer looks like a diamond in the rough.

I wish people would stop with this nonsense.

Most every expert CFB Analyst will tell you the THIRD YEAR is critical for new Coaches. They will have 3 recruiting classes and should be showing major improvement. That is an observation that Phil Steel has made during his 35 years of CFB research and Preseason Magazine Publishing. STEELE is regarded as THE Guru; Not YOU. If you don't have anything positive to say; WTH feel the need to post Bullcrap? Speaking of Nonsense; take a selfie.

Most every expert CFB Analyst will tell you the THIRD YEAR is critical for new Coaches. They will have 3 recruiting classes and should be showing major improvement. That is an observation that Phil Steel has made during his 35 years of CFB research and Preseason Magazine Publishing. STEELE is regarded as THE Guru; Not YOU. If you don't have anything positive to say; WTH feel the need to post Bullcrap? Speaking of Nonsense; take a selfie.

What analyst and experts say is irrelevant. Every single year they are proven wrong multiple times. Now why is this whole in the 3rd year if a coach is gonna be successful thats when we will see it is nonsense? Its simple. No 2 coaching situations are the same. None. So while you can use statistics to base your opinion, outliers exist to throw statistical data out the window. Nobody knows what will happen. Can you offer any kind of proof that if Pruitt were to not make a significant jump in his 3rd year that he will never be successful here? No you cannot. Therefore, your stance on his 3rd season as HC is nonsense.

9th IIRC. It could have been our year if we had a real HC. We were a solid team but I soon realized after watching UT struggle mightily against APPY state that SEC championship was highly unlikely. I also had lost a lot of faith in Butch after the 2015 season and realized he was not “the guy” to get it done.
Still amazes me the guy he hired to lead the S&C program is now a Strength and Conditioning Coordinator at a high school in Minnesota.

Hope springs eternal and sometimes just one year ahead. I think this 2019 season, we will see some rumbling and grumbling of thunder as the orange storm gathers itself. Calling forth the moisture-laden air of renewed confidence, better quality coaching, and players. Condensing into towering ocher tinted cumulonimbus clouds. By the pricking of my thumb, something Volsastic comes.

View attachment 209459
You got any more of that shat?

That may actually be a good thing for Florida. Never thought Franks was that good and I think Emory Jones could develop nicely in Mullen's offense. Another thing to mention about UGA is the RB situation. Swift and Herrien will be gone, Zamir White has had a couple of knee injuries so he's a question mark, James Cook is still unproven, and Kenny McIntosh probably projects better at LB. If UGA strikes out with their RB recruiting this year their offense will take a major step back.

Wishful thinking that Georgia strikes out with RB's, when was the last time the Dogs didn't have great backs?

Yup not many thought Dobbs had a chance at pro. I'm not the hugest jg fan, but need to give the kid a break. He's had the worst o-line in the sec to work with not to mention musical chairs of coaches. If the o-line improves this year and even more in 2020 I think he definitely has a shot in the NFL. As for Maurer and Shrout, we simply don't know. I haven't seen enough of them. Im not sold on Shroud, but Maurer looks like a diamond in the rough.
I feel there was a reason (which thinking about it I totally understand) that Chaney called 3 run plays from inside the 5 in the spring game with Maurer. If Maurer leads the team to a TD behind his arm in his first drive as a college qb while still technically in HS the erruption of JG haters would've reached an all time high and the qb controversy would've began within the fan base. He still makes his 1 mistake (I say 1 because the second one was on Keyton giving up) but he would've been forgiven by those that doubt him due to it. What if Lowe doesn't fumble down the sideline? How quickly some forget he went 5/5 to start the game and it would've been 7/7 if the TE hadnt bobbled the ball on the 3rd and 3 out route that would've continued the drive. Some think he'll never see the field. I say if he does for any amount of meaningful time it's a wrap.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I feel there was a reason (which thinking about it I totally understand) that Chaney called 3 run plays from inside the 5 in the spring game with Maurer. If Maurer leads the team to a TD behind his arm in his first drive as a college qb while still technically in HS the erruption of JG haters would've reached an all time high and the qb controversy would've began within the fan base. He still makes his 1 mistake (I say 1 because the second one was on Keyton giving up) but he would've been forgiven by those that doubt him due to it. What if Lowe doesn't fumble down the sideline? How quickly some forget he went 5/5 to start the game and it would've been 7/7 if the TE hadnt bobbled the ball on the 3rd and 3 out route that would've continued the drive. Some think he'll never see the field. I say if he does for any amount of meaningful time it's a wrap.
I can see that but at the same time controversy or not, why wouldn't the coaches want to start the QB that gives us the best chance to win?

I can see that but at the same time controversy or not, why wouldn't the coaches want to start the QB that gives us the best chance to win?
#1 Pruitt hates turnovers more than anything and it'll take time for BM to realize he doesn't have to do it all by himself like HS #2 he still needs more weight on him #3 if he started BM we lose JG and we know it. And with only 3 qbs you can't afford to lose one or maybe even 2. I think he's doing the right thing but leaving the qb situation in its proper pecking order of seniority.

#1 Pruitt hates turnovers more than anything and it'll take time for BM to realize he doesn't have to do it all by himself like HS #2 he still needs more weight on him #3 if he started BM we lose JG and we know it. And with only 3 qbs you can't afford to lose one or maybe even 2. I think he's doing the right thing but leaving the qb situation in its proper pecking order of seniority.
both backups will remain backups -- Harrison Bailey is the next Vols QB

Wishful thinking that Georgia strikes out with RB's, when was the last time the Dogs didn't have great backs?
Reports are that UGA leads for Milton, but he’s also being pursued by LSU, OSU, and Bama. Evans will most likely end up at Bama. UGA’s receiving core just took a hit as well with Holloman being dismissed.

VN Store

Back