With 4 spots left to fill, right?

I guess the best possible close there would be Igor/Lanier/Tyson/HS Player

Could look something like:

ZZ/Boswell
Lanier/Gainey
Tyson/Mashack/Carr
Igor/Dubar/Phillips
Okpara/Estrella

That’s extremely stout. But it’s best case and probably doesn’t happen. That’s a lot of mouths to feed and make happy.
Yea, feels like best case if you land Okpara with 4 spots remaining would likely be just 2 impact transfers, maybe Lanier (if he enters) and Igor since Tyson is looking less likely. Leaves room for 2, can take the HS project big and then that’s why I’ve mentioned Anderson, would he be someone you could add that’s ok with not a role this year? If so that seems like a major win/win to me.

Yea, feels like best case if you land Okpara with 4 spots remaining would likely be just 2 impact transfers, maybe Lanier (if he enters) and Igor since Tyson is looking less likely. Leaves room for 2, can take the HS project big and then that’s why I’ve mentioned Anderson, would he be someone you could add that’s ok with not a role this year? If so that seems like a major win/win to me.

Him or that Stewart kid from Duke would be icing

Hard to say, if you’re the guy challenging shooters you’re not gonna always be in position to grab rebounds. He’s a better defender than Aidoo or Awaka and more explosive athletically.
More similar rebounder to Aidoo, not bad but not at the level Awaka is, again not many are. He’s a better shot blocker though than Aidoo, and obviously Awaka as well, so has that going for him.

@Stoerner Fumbles @bleedingTNorange we still have any chance of landing Tyson if we make it through today with no commitment?
The longer it goes, to an extent, the better imo. As @Stoerner Fumbles said UNC was trying to shut him down and claim his spot, if he doesn’t do that it means they’ll likely start to pivot and that he’s not a dead set lock to UNC. Again I think it’s an uphill battle still, but if we can get into Monday/Tuesday without a decision then I feel better than I did yesterday.

@Stoerner Fumbles @bleedingTNorange we still have any chance of landing Tyson if we make it through today with no commitment?

Going into the weekend, hope was fading with Tyson and everyone thought he’d be done Friday night with the news of Ingram entering draft. It’s odd that he hasn’t announced, but I have heard nothing that gives me hope. Time elapsing is always good for our side. Friday we felt like we were leading a two horse race with Igor. I can’t read the Awaka situation as it has been all over the map. I have to think he’s gone if we sign a true 5, but he wouldn’t be bothered by Igor.

Are we content with Mashack/Gainey running PG if ZZ has an issue? Feels like we could use more depth there. I was hoping we'd have landed Mack as a PG for the future. I imagine next year we may be in a situation of all-in for the PG position in the portal, if we don't add one this season.

Awaka is a good player but those arguing in favor of him, acting like he’s a great offensive player to prove you point is an interesting choice lol
It’s the rebounding for me. You can’t teach that Rodman sense of knowing where the ball is going and getting it every time

Are we content with Mashack/Gainey running PG if ZZ has an issue? Feels like we could use more depth there. I was hoping we'd have landed Mack as a PG for the future. I imagine next year we may be in a situation of all-in for the PG position in the portal, if we don't add one this season.
Not many guys are going to be attracted to backing up a likely front runner for the Cousy award.

Awaka is a good player but those arguing in favor of him, acting like he’s a great offensive player to prove you point is an interesting choice lol
The truth lies in between, but he's proven legitimate offensive ability on more than one occasion. He goes up to the basket with authority and strength and without fear or hesitation. Also has a nice baby hook that is effective. Gets to the line a lot and has become a good FT shooter.

Yet, his detractors would have you believe he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. With Aidoo out of the picture, I could see Awaka as a 10/8 guy pretty easily if he could stay on the floor without fouling for 25 minutes. That is the biggest issue keeping him from reaching his potential and showing more of his offensive ability.

It’s the rebounding for me. You can’t teach that Rodman sense of knowing where the ball is going and getting it every time

That’s fine and dandy, but the biggest thing is consistency.

One has it, the other doesn’t…yet. Why many posters have said “do you want hope he can make the jump”

Awaka is by far and away the best rebounder, can he make it 25+ minutes and get those rebounds

Reactions: SoullessGinger32_
That’s fine and dandy, but the biggest thing is consistency.

One has it, the other doesn’t…yet. Why many posters have said “do you want hope he can make the jump”

Awaka is by far and away the best rebounder, can he make it 25+ minutes and get those rebounds
No offense to you, friend, but you have the brain of a small child and always want what you don’t have. So yes, I would personally rather stick with Awaka and let him develop if it’s an option.

Reactions: LaagerVol
No offense to you, friend, but you have the brain of a small child and always want what you don’t have. So yes, I would personally rather stick with Awaka and let him develop if it’s an option.
It must work, because it seems like it’s happening.

I was trying to have a conversation, but you resort to name calling. Interesting.

I’m the small child, lol okay.

The truth lies in between, but he's proven legitimate offensive ability on more than one occasion. He goes up to the basket with authority and strength and without fear or hesitation. Also has a nice baby hook that is effective. Gets to the line a lot and has become a good FT shooter.

Yet, his detractors would have you believe he couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. With Aidoo out of the picture, I could see Awaka as a 10/8 guy pretty easily if he could stay on the floor without fouling for 25 minutes. That is the biggest issue keeping him from reaching his potential and showing more of his offensive ability.
Except he very rarely finishes with authority, misses bunnies and gets his shot blocked before he can lay it in

Except he very rarely finishes with authority, misses bunnies and gets his shot blocked before he can lay it in
Must be why he shot 0% FG

I’m messing but I think the detractors are kind of overselling how he was.

The only thing I’m tired of with Awaka is the lack of commitment to UT even though I get it. I think he’s a good player but UT can’t wait around forever for him to choose

Last edited:
I saw Awaka make some tough contested buckets and don’t get the hate. I always thought it would be good to play a center and Awaka together.
Really depends on matchups and defensive strategy on those matchups, but I generally agree with you. I think he can play the 4. Grant Williams and Kyle Alexander played together and Grant rarely operated outside the paint. Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon were both 6'8 and 260 when we made run in tournament with Cuonzo.

In looking at the SEC this year, there really isn't one team where I think Tobe would have been significantly handicapped defensively at the 4. Stretch 4's are a NBA standard but in college is it hard to find a 4 who can both hit perimeter 3's and take their man off the dribble. Alabama perhaps had the best threat with Nelson at the 4. Where Tobe (and frankly any big) gets into trouble is when the defensive strategy is to switch onto small guards/wings who can either beat a big off the dribble or take them so far out on perimeter the big is uncomfortable and doesn't close out well on open perimeter shot. If the goal is to switch constantly, the roster is always going to trend to smaller and quicker athletes. Seems to be where Barnes wants to go.

Awaka paired with Milicic would be intriguing. A powerful 6'8 250 post guy coupled with a 6'10 225 legit stretch 4. Neither is the shot blocker that Aidoo was individually but as a frontcourt pairing that I bet would match or exceed what Aidoo/JJJ did on points per game, rebounds per game, and blocks per game.

No. Yes. Yes. ABSOLUTELY!

VN Store

Back