2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I think they got tired of losing in the first round. I think they made peace with the roster turnover a long time ago.
They made peace with it when they were making Final Fours with that style. When they were missing tournaments altogether and losing early when they made it, that is when they decided publicly that it was an issue. But internally, fans (especially those over 40 years of age) never cared for the roster makeup. They grew up investing in the lives and careers of the players for three and four years. They lost that with Cal but traded it for winning.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Wouldn’t mind taking him as a backup PG. Maybe we preferred taking him over Hammond. It would make sense
I mean, I guess.

I think either way, they will look for a transfer PG once ZZ leaves. He and Boswell are both unproven, I wouldn’t feel confident going into the following season with those two as our PG options…so that said, you’d prob lose one anyways.

We recruited him the first go around fwiw so that’s why you see Gainey and Lentz already following him, previous connection there. He played at NBA Global Academy in Australia which is also where Vescovi came to us from.

Any insight on his strengths / weaknesses? European perimeter players always seem to be pretty skilled, even if a bit raw.

I think the Lanier to KY talk is based upon his agency getting a player they represent to KY.
TN would be in bad shape if our deal was closer to the offer KY gave to the other player who’s not comparable to Lanier. We might have to make another offer then. Could be a bidding war if that’s the case.

I will say it’s funny that a week ago it was Maryland everyone was worried about and that we heard was the other team in play and talking to him. Now it’s UK and we’ve not heard a word about Maryland.
I think Maryland just gave up or doesn’t want to be in a bidding war. I honestly would think the agency would want Lanier to go to TN so they can broaden their school representation. But then there’s the flip side where they could builder a stronger relationship with KY if he goes there

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey 77
Any insight on his strengths / weaknesses? European perimeter players always seem to be pretty skilled, even if a bit raw.
Most of the Illinois fans think he is a traditional PG that lacks athleticism and strength. Says he’s a good shooter, decent handle, and plays with nice pace and creativity.

Most of them think he should transfer down to a lower conference.

From what I read, he seems like a Vescovi

Agree. They are going to look night and day differently from an athletic profile.

Part of me wonders if this wasn't a take to get the fanbase re-engaged with the identity of the team. The kid has some talent...I don't mean to run him down. I just don't think he had UK talent. But taking him and Travis Perry, two Kentucky kids in the same class, Pope's first class, will help to endear him to the fanbase that grew tired of the mercenary recruiting style of Calipari.
100% this imo...most KY fans I know had become very disenfranchised

Reactions: cncchris33
Most of the Illinois fans think he is a traditional PG that lacks athleticism and strength. Says he’s a good shooter, decent handle, and plays with nice pace and creativity.

Most of them think he should transfer down to a lower conference.

From what I read, he seems like a Vescovi
Tells me that they aren't counting on Boswell this season or he's not seen as a legit option at PG? Strange that they'd pass on Hammond but be willing to bring this guy on board. Pretty clear we'll be getting ZZ's replacement from the portal next season.

I don’t know what to believe anymore? lol. CBS saying Lanier trending to Kentucky? Someone shed some light please
Did you bother to read the quote in which they are referencing? Pathetic reporting from UK site to try and spin Norlander’s quote into somehow saying Kentucky leads for him, but not a surprise.

Tells me that they aren't counting on Boswell this season or he's not seen as a legit option at PG? Strange that they'd pass on Hammond but be willing to bring this guy on board. Pretty clear we'll be getting ZZ's replacement from the portal next season.
Or HS ranks, or from the roster this year.

"He is from Nashville and I am hearing UT is telling him he is next Kenect and he is leaning that way. Of course they also are telling him Elite 8 is their ceiling." - From Rupp Rafters.

We of course are countering that at UK he's guaranteed to lose to a lower seed in the first round. It's what this new era of UK does best, as well as there new coach.

Did you bother to read the quote in which they are referencing? Pathetic reporting from UK site to try and spin Norlander’s quote into somehow saying Kentucky leads for him, but not a surprise.
It was such a nothing quote that Norlander had to go on X and tell people to stop reading too much into it. Yet it has still spawned a hundred “Kentucky leads for Lanier!” articles.

VN Store

Back