2020 is Our Year Because...

vegasvolfan

Marketing Professional With 25 Years of Experience
A lot of people are projecting Fromm to go pro early.

Bentley is gone.

Bryant (Missou) only has one year of eligibility

Franks will be gone.

Guarantano will most likely need more than one good season to go pro.

We will have around a dozen of Senior lineman between the OL and DL and everyone else behind them. We will be deeper at both positions than I can remember. This is a reason both JG and Chandler...

We will have a really good back even without Ty at RB, but he could possibly return with the possibility of an SEC title game in front if him. Jordan is a stud and will be ready if he doesn’t.

We are plenty deep behind DWA.

Our star sophomore corners will be incredible by then. People are already pointing at them as a strength this year. They need depth and they will have it next year.

I don’t think this staff came together to quit after this year including Fitz. These guys have two years left before some shifting occurs.

Things I don’t know much about that I would like insights on ( I think if there are positives in the majority of these areas we will compete against the west).

Anything I am wrong about above.
Seems like we will have a huge dropoff at receiver, but we will probably pick up some studs with Gurantano being a senior and all the QBs behind him and we will most likely have some receivers emerge this year with all of the receiver coaching experience.
For us to be good at RB we need Banks to prove he can hold onto the ball.
Who will fill in at safety? I think I read that Warrior is being pushed for more PT by someone this year.
I think we will be fine at LB.
We will miss Taylor. Need a couple of edge rushers to emerge towards the end of this year if not sooner obviously.

Last edited:
It'll depend on recruiting and player development.

Certainly, both the O-line and D-line should be improved in 2020. I think our secondary will be rock solid, as well. We'll probably get JG back for a Senior campaign, and our backup QB options should be better, too.

The question marks are mostly in areas where we lose a lot of key players. We lose 2 and maybe 3 of our top 3 WRs (Jennings, Callaway, possibly Palmer). We lose DWA at TE. We lose Bituli and Darrell Taylor at LB. Also a decent chance we lose Ty Chandler at RB. If we can successfully replace most of those guys, then 2020 could be good.

The good news is that it's typically easier to replace most of those positions (RB + WR especially) in a short period of time, whereas the OL and DL takes years of development.

Last edited:
Hope springs eternal and sometimes just one year ahead. I think this 2019 season, we will see some rumbling and grumbling of thunder as the orange storm gathers itself. Calling forth the moisture-laden air of renewed confidence, better quality coaching, and players. Condensing into towering ocher tinted cumulonimbus clouds. By the pricking of my thumb, something Volsastic comes.

VolRumble.jpg

2012 was supposed to be UT's year....then 2016 was supposed to be UT's year....2020? Sure, why not?!

Reactions: KBVol
Wasnt UT pre-season top 5-ish in 2016?
9th IIRC. It could have been our year if we had a real HC. We were a solid team but I soon realized after watching UT struggle mightily against APPY state that SEC championship was highly unlikely. I also had lost a lot of faith in Butch after the 2015 season and realized he was not “the guy” to get it done.

And there’s no chance that those schools reload, right?
Georgia is busting at the seams with talent and the favorite
Florida is a dark horse to win the east in year 2
Missouri will play spoiler more than not and if they find a defense they’ll continue to be a thorn in the side
South Carolina has Muschamp UTs Kryptonite

Reactions: Bigun and 08Vol

Bentley is gone.

Franks will be gone.

We will have around a dozen of Senior lineman between the OL and DL and everyone else behind them. We will be deeper at both positions than I can remember. This is a reason both JG and Chandler...

We will have a really good back even without Ty at RB, but he could possibly return with the possibility of an SEC title game in front if him. Jordan is a stud and will be ready if he doesn’t.

Our star sophomore corners will be incredible by then. People are already pointing at them as a strength this year. They need depth and they will have it next year.

I don’t think this staff came together to quit after this year including Fitz. These guys have two years left before some shifting occurs.

Things I don’t know much about that I would like insights on ( I think if there are positives in the majority of these areas we will compete against the west).

Seems like we will have a huge dropoff at receiver, but we will probably pick up some studs with Gurantano being a senior and all the QBs behind him and we will most likely have some receivers emerge this year with all of the receiver coaching experience.
Who will fill in at safety? I think I read that Warrior is being pushed for more PT by someone this year.
We will miss Taylor. Need a couple of edge rushers to emerge towards the end of this year if not sooner obviously.
I'm buying what you're selling Hoss

tenor.gif

9th IIRC. It could have been our year if we had a real HC. We were a solid team but I soon realized after watching UT struggle mightily against APPY state that SEC championship was highly unlikely. I also had lost a lot of faith in Butch after the 2015 season and realized he was not “the guy” to get it done.
My gut told me the wheels were about to come off after that game. I can't believe how out of shape and the lack musculature our guys had.

Bentley is gone.

Franks will be gone.

That may actually be a good thing for Florida. Never thought Franks was that good and I think Emory Jones could develop nicely in Mullen's offense. Another thing to mention about UGA is the RB situation. Swift and Herrien will be gone, Zamir White has had a couple of knee injuries so he's a question mark, James Cook is still unproven, and Kenny McIntosh probably projects better at LB. If UGA strikes out with their RB recruiting this year their offense will take a major step back.

If you are looking at all the guys everybody else will lose before then, (2020) I guess you assume they will not replace them with anyone worthwhile. Seems to me every time we think we can beat most everyone , then everyone comes up with someone like you mention they are loosing that fills the same scenario and we are where we have been for over ten years, calling for great things next year or 2-3 years down the road.

Reactions: 08Vol
Lets worry about 2019 first, which I think the Defense and Offense will be improved. However, we should temper our expectations, our talent levels are still bottom of SEC at this time. Some good players mixed into a bag of average players......We should expect the development and depth by position to be much better by 2020, but who knows what could happen between now and then................

Awesome....before the season even starts, already started with the "next year we will be back" threads
Yep. That's a sad commentary on some "fans" expectations. This year is THE year that the pendulum swings back to the BIG ORANGE!

Ya know, back in the '30's, there was this great optimism from those out in the southern part of the Mid-West. Their slogan was "well, there is next year". So, when the great dust clouds started coming, they held on for next year. And, the next. Then, the next. Still, no no rain and no crops. But, after 10 years of next year, the rains finally came. The dust subsided and wala, crops again.

So, I say, why not 2020! Or, even 2019!

VN Store

Back