Alec Abeln new TE coach

Sounds good to me...Abeln played under Tennessee coach Josh Heupel and offensive line coach Glen Elarbee as an offensive lineman at Missouri. He served as a Missouri graduate assistant in 2018. Abeln then coached under Heupel as a graduate assistant at Central Florida in 2019 and as an offensive analyst at Tennessee since 2021.

Tennessee again is staying in-house to fill a vacancy on its coaching staff. Barring something unexpected, the Vols are expected to promote offensive analyst Alec Abeln, who played for Josh Heupel at Missouri and worked for him at both UCF and Tennessee, to tight ends coach as the replacement for Alex Golesh, sources told GoVols247 on Thursday. Golesh was hired as the new head coach at South Florida back in early December after the end of the regular season, and Abeln will get the call after two years in the program.

Vols promoting from within for new TE coach

I don't see how there's much of an opinion on this. Who ever even knows who the TE coach is?
I take pride in knowing a lot about some of the coaching staffs from across the country. Outside of Tim Brewster and Vince Marrow, I couldn’t tell you any other tight end coaches. And the only reason those two guys are famous is because of the recruiting prowess.

The boy sure packs some guns! (and boasts a nice family too) And hey, if he is good enough for Coach H, he is good enough for moi. After all, who am I to challenge a TE hire?????????????

ju3FDYdo_400x400.jpg

Don't see how anyone is surprised by this. Heupel likes to promote from within. He wants people familiar with his system. Familiarity makes sense for this offense. Hire the big names on defense.
Heupel has a respected (if relatively short) track record of hiring his type of coaches and this isn't a Butch Jones "Oh what the hell!" hire. I'm confident it's well vetted and researched...hence why it took awhile, That being said, the last time he hired a TE's coach from withOUT, it was a known commodity that he had to add an OC title to hire. When he snagged Alex Golesh away from Matt Campbell. For all those posters mildly irritatated to outright annoyed towards understandable questions about the new hire? Most of us have learned to trust Heupel's calls. But as the great Ronald Reagan once waxed eloquent...."Trust but VERIFY!" When the final verdict comes in we'll all be right at the same time.

VN Store

Back