Why should I buy a named jersey now?

76volman

With the NIL money going crazy for top athletes, and the transfer portal being full of top athletes, why should I as a fan of UT basketball, baseball, football, etc buy any athletes' jersey? Chances are if they have any promise of being good or even a starter, they will be gone the following year or maybe even earlier. I used to buy VOL athletes' jerseys, but no more. Why should I pay attention to the NIL athletes' commercials? Same reason, probably being gone the next year as well. UT spends $millions recruiting top athletes to play our stadiums and gyms, and fields. Is that $ now being considered spent well? As I see it, (and I am sure the serious posters here will correct me) NIL and the transfer portal rules are beginning to take the traditional fan out of the game. As a traditional fan, I loved pulling for my favorite QB, linebacker, receiver, etc, etc. Now, will I even be familiar enough with their name as a freshman or sophomore, before they are gone to the transfer portal? Now, probably not!!

With the NIL money going crazy for top athletes, and the transfer portal being full of top athletes, why should I as a fan of UT basketball, baseball, football, etc buy any athletes' jersey? Chances are if they have any promise of being good or even a starter, they will be gone the following year or maybe even earlier. I used to buy VOL athletes' jerseys, but no more. Why should I pay attention to the NIL athletes' commercials? Same reason, probably being gone the next year as well. UT spends $millions recruiting top athletes to play our stadiums and gyms, and fields. Is that $ now being considered spent well? As I see it, (and I am sure the serious posters here will correct me) NIL and the transfer portal rules are beginning to take the traditional fan out of the game. As a traditional fan, I loved pulling for my favorite QB, linebacker, receiver, etc, etc. Now, will I even be familiar enough with their name as a freshman or sophomore, before they are gone to the transfer portal? Now, probably not!!
You answered your own question.

All of the players whose jerseys I might have purchased are still here, so it doesn’t really seem to be an issue for me.

Reactions: VolDave53
Don't. I do not anticipate any athlete ever saying 'XYZ school is giving me more playing time or more money but I am going to stay here coz some random fan bought my Jersey' .. Chances are if you were a player, you would not either. We all leave jobs for better pay, location and work anyways.

Well, that player may become famous later a a pro. And collectors being odd people to begin with, may covet said player's earlier jersey(s). People have been known to pay as much as $16,000 for school lunchboxes, $26,400 for G.I. Joe dolls, even $120,000 for a banana taped to a wall (No, not a joke). Someone even paid 1.7 million for Elvis poop. So you never know what people are stupid, insane, or sick enough to pay an outrageous amount for.

You shouldn't. There is no reason to buy named jerseys. They neither need nor want your support. Only your money. And only until someone else offers them more than you can -- at which point you'll look at their named jersey and think "why did I buy that?"

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfullVol
Just purchase more hotdogs and beer. They will never change their jersey numbers or hop in the portal. I hope this helps.

PEPPERJAX

Just purchase more hotdogs and beer. They will never change their jersey numbers or hop in the portal. I hope this helps.

PEPPERJAX
Don't get it twisted.. the school is making most of the money either way... whether its concessions, parking or jerseys. The players might be getting some small cut but trust me the vast majority of any jersey sales is not going to the athlete's pocket unless its their own brand aka not a school jersey.

We seem to be pretty good at retaining players right now, but if that bothers you, try to select a senior. Problem solved.

Reactions: Hairy Vols
The portal and NIL has changed the way you look at players, I remember as a kid getting attached to the players🤣 can't do that nowadays because they may be gone next season

I never have understood wearing named jerseys anyway. I thought only girlfriends wore named jerseys.

I have one with my name on it, another with "C. STEAMER." If I get another, it'll be "D. SANCHEZ." Can't see wearing someone else's' named jersey, especially a guy, lol. Iowa fans will always have Caitlin Clark, though. Not hating, just a ton of male Iowa fans rockin' that 22 "CLARK" down here in SWFLA!

Reactions: 207 others
I own three UT jerseys-Manning, Reggie, and Clausen.

I not that worried about either of them transferring any time soon.
That’s what I tell people. I haven’t bought a jersey in decades but I always tell people who ask to get one of someone who is no longer there and was a huge contribution. You can’t go wrong.

VN Store

Back